Re: Tentative 3.0 Spell list 10/01/2010 04:59 AM CDT
Long post, sorry...

Aether Cloak:
An esoteric cyclic Aether Warding spell. It provides a barrier versus TM spells only (think Shear-like here) with the effect that if Aether Cloak wins, the TM spell is instead reflected at its full strength back at the caster. If it loses, the spell is weakened by the power of the Cloak but goes through. The barrier does not ablate as it takes hits. The Cloak hinders the caster's own TM spells as badly as outside spells, but they cannot hurt themselves.

Shear
Esoteric Warding. Resists all spells cast on or by the user, though the user's own spells are penalized less. If a spell is repelled by Shear, the target is subject to a reactive stun.

Ok, so we did get more detailed information on our spells than the moonies did... But due to that it's a bit cloudy on how weakened a moonie's spell is when being cast through the shear. If at all possible I would like some clarification because... Well a reflected spell is nice, but it can be dodged and we all know some MM's have rather ridiculous evasion. Also, in probably 99% of both PvP and hunting, stuns normally lead to a guaranteed kill, period. Whereas again reflected spells can be dodged or blocked with a shield, getting stunned because your (insert spell here) wasn't enough to cut through shear, so you're reduced to a slack-jawed staring idiot for however long while the MM gets a nice big (insert MM spell here) to sling up your intestinal tract the hard way.

Not to mention, shear is subject to ALL spells cast on the user, while AC is only against TM spells. Understood MM's are kind of the "glass cannon" and we WM's are supposed to be more resilient so to speak... but being subject to all disabling/debuff spells, unless the resistance to TM spells is ridiculously high, makes the spell almost null in most PvP fights because we'll be groveling on our backs wondering where the &% we are before we can even get a full spell prepped up. Not to mention if a WM does get a big enough AC up that it'll block his opponent... well typically that'd render his own spells useless as well. Talk about a catch 22. Thank god I trained my primary higher than the req's.

And while I'm thinking of it... is Arc Light going to be ranged or still melee only?

~Marganus Froststream, well the player of
Re: Tentative 3.0 Spell list 10/01/2010 05:44 AM CDT
Regarding the familiar and it attacking things.

From what I can tell, its attack and defence will be based on my TM ranks, so 500 in TM, the familiar will attack/defend as if having 500 ranks of HE and shield (thats just as an expample).

If i'm like one of those badly trained warmies, where TM is about 300 ranks above my own combats.... can I sent the familiar into sky giants and get it to attack things? This teaching me TM without the risk of me getting hurt?

Will the familiars have a limit to their skills? I think someone told me that empath avengers have a cap, 300 ranks? 400 ranks? something like that.
Re: Tentative 3.0 Spell list 10/01/2010 07:03 AM CDT
Pretty sure you can't remote TM a familiar. In other words, in order for your familiar to be combat ready you must be in the same room with it.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Tentative 3.0 Spell list 10/01/2010 12:41 PM CDT
Shear is an ablative defense, meaning that the defense degrades each time it is hit.

Aether Cloak is a non-ablative defense, meaning that its power does not weaken as it is attacked.

Ablative defenses are required to hinder the user about half of what they hinder the opponents. Non-ablative defenses are required to hinder the use equally what they hinder the opponents, although any 'extra' stuff like TM reflection will not apply.

-Z
Re: Tentative 3.0 Spell list 10/01/2010 11:48 PM CDT
>>Not to mention, shear is subject to ALL spells cast on the user, while AC is only against TM spells...

A moon mage can stun himself with his own shear, under the new magic 2.0

As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton