Warrior Mage Spell Changes 02/08/2018 10:58 PM CST
I've just rolled some changes to a few spells to Prime and Plat. The following changes have been made:
- Anther's Call: The spell now gives -Evasion instead of immobilization, and is two slots instead of one.
- Ice Patch: Now Immobilizes, instead of stuns. Still knocks down.
- Sure Footing: Spell is now two slots, to better match similar abilities.
- Tremor: Players who kneel or sit are no longer immune to the effects. Single Target option is gone.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Warrior Mage Spell Changes 02/09/2018 11:20 AM CST

Nice changes!

Javac, since it's being tweaked would it be possible to consider letting subsequent casts of Tremor refresh the effect duration rather then just being blocked?
Re: Warrior Mage Spell Changes 02/10/2018 06:44 AM CST
...Interesting changes. Why nerf anther's call but increase the spell slot requirement? I initially assumed that it was because it's now a 'stackable' debuff, but it has a pretty short duration and I'm not sure how useful such a brief evasion debuff is. And since Ice Patch had it's bite dialed down (and assuming the info here [https://elanthipedia.play.net/Status_effect] is still accurate) can Arc Light go back to causing minor head damage?

Also, and this could just be me being picky, but I'm not sure the messaging makes sense for the new ice patch.

You gesture at a juvenile wyvern.
A sheet of slippery ice forms beneath a juvenile wyvern!
A juvenile wyvern slips and falls forward, slamming its face on the ice.

Frozen in place, a juvenile wyvern's eyes sweep the area with a throaty snarl.

Seems to me that something like "A juvenile wyvern slips and falls forward, becoming trapped in the ice." would make more sense with the new change and the pulsing message.
Re: Warrior Mage Spell Changes 02/10/2018 08:40 AM CST
IP didn't get it's bite dialed down

It's now an immobilizer

Stuns don't give defensive penalties, immobilize does

Stuns are easier to break with anti cc abilities

The benefit of stuns is a defensive penalty caused by a balance hit. This is why there seems to be confusion. IP causes the target to be prone, you don't get more of a balance hit than that

The only thing that IP doesn't do that it did previously is make the target lose a prepped spell which is a non factor.

You now have a cc that's less likely to be broken that causes a defensive penalty AND a complete balance hit.
Re: Warrior Mage Spell Changes 02/10/2018 09:35 AM CST

> Why nerf anther's call but increase the spell slot requirement?

Anther's call was given a buff. It's now the only ability magic users of any guild have to debuff evasion. I suspect you'll see a lot of bards and other guilds grabbing that spell, especially if you can combine it with a DFA.

> The only thing that IP doesn't do that it did previously is make the target lose a prepped spell which is a non factor.

IP is now an improved form of soul sickness, and I don't know of anyone complaining about clerics in PvP because they can't make people lose a spell with it.
Re: Warrior Mage Spell Changes 02/16/2018 07:09 PM CST
>>You now have a cc that's less likely to be broken that causes a defensive penalty AND a complete balance hit.

This is a massive buff, it makes IP extremely over powered for the low slot cost and basic skill. You can see where the love is being given for PvP. The normal reason immobilize is so strong of a penalty to your defense is that it doesn't hurt your balance. Stuns can naturally cause you to lose enough balance and fall prone and lose concentration on a spell. Because of that Stun doesn't penalize defenses as badly.

But now that this spell manages to send you prone and also put you into the immobilize state, its going to be easily the most powerful basic debilitation spell in the game. And for pvp easily the most over powered for lowering their targets defense. Combined with BG easy no target mechanic and it was already the best combo in the game before.

Why was this change made anyway? Was anyone complaining about the spell?

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Warrior Mage Spell Changes 02/21/2018 12:17 PM CST
Clerics have substantial defensive capabilities over warrior mages, it only makes sense that wms should have substantial offensive capabilities over clerics. SICK is immob+kneel, so imo changing IP to this only helps to narrow the gap between the ridiculously OP toolkit that clerics have.

Anther's call was basically just a waste of a spell slot before these changes. Now it has a purpose other than being a prerequisite.

WMs still have a long way to go before they're on par with clerics tbh. I can't really give complaints against the WM toolkit merit given the nature of the cleric kit.
Re: Warrior Mage Spell Changes 05/16/2019 11:45 AM CDT
Just offering my two cents, not expecting to change anything.

I don't like the change to Anther's Call - but here's why. I tended to use it when I was being overwhelmed by a stronger creature (either invasion or rooms where there's two types of crits and one is more powerful than the other) as a better way to be able to retreat/escape/survive. The immobilization at least bought me a moment of time.

With it just being -Evasion now, I'll probably forget the spell.