Aethrolysis 09/15/2017 07:09 PM CDT
Has anyone had a chance to go down the bestiary list and try casting Aethrolysis on everything? Does it fail completely against targets that aren't extra-planar? Does anyone have first-hand experience of it working on a creature that isn't on this list? So far it's mostly populated by creatures you can't cast on:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Category:Extra-planar_creatures

Few questions for staff. Are all noncorporeal creatures also extra-planar? Will Aethrolysis work ( aside from hypothetical bugginess) on any creature that is not extra-planar? Is there a master list of extra-planar creatures we could see that would make documentation of them more efficient?
Re: Aethrolysis 09/15/2017 08:35 PM CDT
>>Are all noncorporeal creatures also extra-planar? Will Aethrolysis work ( aside from hypothetical bugginess) on any creature that is not extra-planar?

No exceptions come to mind, so yes and no.

>>Is there a master list of extra-planar creatures we could see that would make documentation of them more efficient?

Ghostly undead, shadow/light/concept creatures, elementals (just seordmaor and wind hounds that I know of).

GM Grejuva
Re: Aethrolysis 09/15/2017 10:31 PM CDT
Thanks Grejuva!
Re: Aethrolysis 09/16/2017 11:56 AM CDT
Are creatures that yield bodyparts for arrows/bolts that land elemental damage, elemental extra-planars themselves? (currently firecats, ice adders, storm bulls, lava drakes)

Would Fae be categorized as extra-planar?
Re: Aethrolysis 09/16/2017 01:57 PM CDT
>>Are creatures that yield bodyparts for arrows/bolts that land elemental damage, elemental extra-planars themselves? (currently firecats, ice adders, storm bulls, lava drakes)

No to those four. The lava drakes are constructs of Elanthian matter. Unless I'm missing any lore, the firecats and storm bulls appear to be animals with too much, let's say, elemental charge. In contrast, the seordmaor originate from a known planar conduit, and the wind hounds are plainly a garden variety of air elemental.

The differences may seem minute, but where Aethrolysis is concerned, the question to ask is, "How much of that thing doesn't belong here?" Generally speaking, god-made creatures will fall short of that threshold (unless outright incorporeal), because gods care about that sort of balance. What's inside an ice adder is from the spiritual plane, but it's ensouling a dead animal, so you can't get rid of it by just blowing up the aether around it.

>>Would Fae be categorized as extra-planar?

As they were specifically created for Elanthia, nope.

GM Grejuva
Re: Aethrolysis 09/16/2017 02:31 PM CDT
Not to get into each critter out there but would Nippo Osshu (sp?) qualify? aren't they creatures of pure steam?

Rehlyn

Well, see, there's the linchpin of why everything you're saying is wrong. There's the fulcrum. There's the centerpiece. There's the turkey on the Thanksgiving table.
Re: Aethrolysis 09/16/2017 05:12 PM CDT
>>Not to get into each critter out there but would Nippo Osshu (sp?) qualify? aren't they creatures of pure steam?

Ah yes, I should add those. I've been wanting to look into their special attack anyway.

GM Grejuva
Re: Aethrolysis 09/16/2017 07:23 PM CDT
>>I've been wanting to look into their special attack anyway.

Please do I've always hated how impossible they are to hunt without ES.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Aethrolysis 09/24/2017 02:29 AM CDT
What the heck is a Moss Mey, anyway? I always thought they were supposed to be some kind of cursed fey.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history
Re: Aethrolysis 09/24/2017 02:41 AM CDT
>>What the heck is a Moss Mey, anyway? I always thought they were supposed to be some kind of cursed fey.

A dead one.

GM Grejuva
Re: Aethrolysis 09/24/2017 11:43 AM CDT
Any chance of seeing Aethrolysis casts work to unravel shadowlings, shadow servants and WM familiars and either current multi-armed devourers and/or future Craft Enchanting devourers? (assuming it doesn't already work on the the former 3, and current devourers are so rarely seen or used it's probably not worth the effort for the current versions)

Even though Maeldryth are only seen once every decade or so, it would be cool if Aethryolysis joined Uncurse as an effective spell against them. (again assuming it doesn't already work against them)
Re: Aethrolysis 09/24/2017 12:29 PM CDT
>>Any chance of seeing Aethrolysis casts work to unravel shadowlings, shadow servants and WM familiars and either current multi-armed devourers and/or future Craft Enchanting devourers?

Aethrolysis, probably not. I think high sorcery mischief that messes with normally inviolate things like those would be more likely to target your own guild -- along the lines of Sovereign Destiny. A new anti-WM spell could happen.

>>Even though Maeldryth are only seen once every decade or so, it would be cool if Aethryolysis joined Uncurse as an effective spell against them. (again assuming it doesn't already work against them)

That's reasonable. I'm certainly keeping it in mind for any new creatures we write too.

GM Grejuva
Re: Aethrolysis 09/25/2017 12:50 PM CDT
Hey Grejuva, I categorized (Taisidon safari) banshees as extra-planar on epedia thinking incorporeal=ghost=extra-planar but after your comment on Fae being created for the Plane of Abiding I wasn't sure if incorporeal was just their particular 'natural' state of being rather than reflecting an undead state. Is extra-planar an incorrect categorization and banshees (or other spirit-Fae) are not extra-planar?

As an aside, are Taisidon banshees the same as Asketi's Lesser North Wind banshees metaphysically or are they two wildly different types of 'banshee' created by different Immortals? Trying to get my head wrapped around Elanthian taxonomy.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Banshee
https://elanthipedia.play.net/Lesser_North_Wind_banshee
Re: Aethrolysis 09/25/2017 01:47 PM CDT
>>Hey Grejuva, I categorized (Taisidon safari) banshees as extra-planar on epedia thinking incorporeal=ghost=extra-planar but after your comment on Fae being created for the Plane of Abiding I wasn't sure if incorporeal was just their particular 'natural' state of being rather than reflecting an undead state. Is extra-planar an incorrect categorization and banshees (or other spirit-Fae) are not extra-planar?

Incorporeal life isn't really a natural state in the Plane of Abiding. Under normal circumstances, the Fae are beings of flesh, however unusual or magical.

>>As an aside, are Taisidon banshees the same as Asketi's Lesser North Wind banshees metaphysically or are they two wildly different types of 'banshee' created by different Immortals?

They're both spirits from the Starry Road. Whether they were ever alive as Elanthians (Fae or otherwise) is open to interpretation.

GM Grejuva
Re: Aethrolysis 10/07/2017 12:47 PM CDT
Grejuva, you're awesome. I rejoined DR back when the Necromancer guild was coming out, and seeing the work you and Armifer did and your interactions on the forums was the best overall time I've had playing DR. My new character is a Warrior Mage, so it makes me pretty happy to see you're working Warrior Mages now. I really enjoy all the planar lore stuff you guys do. The game's fiction is richer when someone like you is involved. Keep it coming!