Arc Light Changes 10/06/2016 09:59 PM CDT
In just a moment, I'm going to roll changes to Arc Light. The spell is now just a stun, with no cooldown. It never made sense that a bright flash of light caused damage of any sort, and the cooldown was nothing but annoying.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Arc Light Changes 10/06/2016 10:57 PM CDT

Does this mean arc light is now dazzle? Will it still set off naptha? Can empaths use it?
Re: Arc Light Changes 10/06/2016 11:53 PM CDT
>Will it still set off naptha? Can empaths use it?

It will no longer set off naphtha, and it no longer causes shock.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Arc Light Changes 10/07/2016 01:09 AM CDT

Hi Javac,

What are the differences between this and IP in your mind? IP is 2 slots, so is arc light... both stun, but one knocks you down. Is arc light easier to apply? Any chance it might get a slot reduction since it doesnt do damage and is the same price as IP?
Re: Arc Light Changes 10/07/2016 08:28 AM CDT
I discussed this with several other GMs when trying to come up with a new function for the spell as part of the rewrite. IP has a few limitations which Arc Light does not, and it was brought up that IP may be under-costed even with the drawbacks. In addition, they use different checks. So if you're facing something that is strong against IP's check, or four legged, or flying, Arc Light may prove more useful.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Arc Light Changes 10/07/2016 08:47 AM CDT

>> I discussed this with several other GMs when trying to come up with a new function for the spell as part of the rewrite. IP has a few limitations which Arc Light does not, and it was brought up that IP may be under-costed even with the drawbacks. In addition, they use different checks. So if you're facing something that is strong against IP's check, or four legged, or flying, Arc Light may prove more useful.

Ok, against the 4 legged thing that makes sense. I dont think IP is under costed, unless we are to look at other spells like SICK which kneels you and immobilizes you (much worse than a stun in a world of stun hiding items which everyone seems to have to protect you against stuns... whist immobilize with a kneel is far worse imo). I still think AL is a little overpriced for what it does now but i guess theres no room for discussion on that front.

I dont like to come off as complaining or whining, so please just take it as simple criticism, but AL feels like it was nerfed now to a degree. Im not sure if that was the intention or not, but I dont think it was a spell that people considered particularly potent to begin with. Most people probably wont miss it or care one way or another because im not sure its used that often (maybe for smaller folks?) but im just throwing it out there.
Re: Arc Light Changes 10/07/2016 09:22 AM CDT
The biggest complaint I always heard was the cooldown. The cooldown is now gone. The non-lethal internal head damage aspect of the spell is also gone, because it never really made sense. If for some reason you really wanted that head damage, then I guess this could be seen as a nerf, but the timer was longer than most creatures' life span.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Arc Light Changes 10/07/2016 09:28 AM CDT

>> The biggest complaint I always heard was the cooldown. The cooldown is now gone. The non-lethal internal head damage aspect of the spell is also gone, because it never really made sense. If for some reason you really wanted that head damage, then I guess this could be seen as a nerf, but the timer was longer than most creatures' life span.

Fair enough. I dont argue it has a value i suppose in certain situations. My only real issue was the slot cost. Thanks for responding.
Re: Arc Light Changes 10/07/2016 12:44 PM CDT
I sympathize with the feeling that its' effect may not be worth two slots, but if you compare it to spells like Dazzle and Petrifying Visions it seems that a spell with a single stun-type effect is worth two slots.
Re: Arc Light Changes 10/07/2016 01:16 PM CDT
One thing to keep in mind is that we value "a normal spell" at 2 slots. Usually that comes down to two elemental effects (such as two skills buffed), but one single "big enough" effect can constitute a normal spell. This is an art rather than a science.

Soul Sickness may be undervalued for the total effects of the spell, I'll give it some thought and talk with a few others about it.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Arc Light Changes 10/08/2016 06:35 AM CDT
sad to hear about AL. I liked it more than IP.

-Munch-