Ethereal Fissure 02/24/2016 09:33 AM CST
Is there some sort of bonus behind some of our spell casting that allows us to cast more difficult spells? Which pathway we are attuned to, or our level of elemental attunement maybe? Other than the free magical feat for targeted mastery, of course.

So as a young (just hit 20th circle) War Mage, I am constantly running into mana shortages when trying to train my skills at max-prep. Also, I am especially having a problem in combat just keeping up all my buffs, along with putting out debils and TM damage, even in a decent mana room. Whatever else I can do to fix those issues aside, when I hit 20 I decided to pick up Ethereal Fissure to help with hunting.

Gauthus was did pretty well to tell me I couldn't cast the spell yet, but I ignored him because I was "certain" that the required ranks was 80, and I was almost there with Augmentation and Utility, and well-enough above with PM to hopefully make up the difference. Well, turns out it was 100. However, despite this, I seem to be able to cast the spell at min-prep about 90% of the time. I am sitting at about 79 ranks in Utility, 71 in Augmentation, and 101 in PM. So to my up front question, is there something else bonusing me here to be able to cast the spell? I know PM should help cover for missing ranks, but it is barely over the rank-requirement itself. My mentals are all around 19-20, if that matters.
Re: Ethereal Fissure 02/24/2016 10:41 AM CST
>>However, despite this, I seem to be able to cast the spell at min-prep about 90% of the time

While you might be getting a bonus somewhere, spell success when casting at your personal cap isn't binary. There's some wiggle room for when you'd backfire (or not).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Ethereal Fissure 02/24/2016 11:51 AM CST
As a warrior mage you don't have any native ability to bonus your casting skills except TM.

Fir Familiars (that you don't have access to yet) assist spellcasting... somehow, but there is no aether-aligned fir familiar. The primary magic symbiosis is another option that you don't have access to yet.

Some spells might still have environmental interactions that modify the difficulty (mana efficiency?) but those are obscured and inconsistent -- as far as I know there are no environmental interactions for any Aether spell which could assist (or hinder) EtF.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Ethereal Fissure 02/24/2016 02:42 PM CST
For training use symbiosis to reduce mana costs with a trade-off of weaker effect. For buffing in combat try spreading out your buffs a bit so they don't all have to be recast at once. For TM and devil don't worry about big casts unless you can afford them. Cyclics need feats to beused well and it's worth considering using them less than your cap especially TM and debil ones.
Re: Ethereal Fissure 02/24/2016 03:32 PM CST
20th circle is probably too early to be using symbiosis. That does raise a question though of how the OP is casting and how it could be done more efficiently.

Harness at least half your spell preparation, chunk it down. Transition some of this over to cambrinth as you grow into the ability to charge it worn but definitely invest in larger cambrinth for out-of-combat training. Straight prepping unnecessarily hammers your attunement.

Floor your attunement. If you're come back to DR from a long break this is especially unintuitive, but your attunement regenerates fastest when you have the least. The balance point of sustainable, constant casting may be closer to zero than you'd think. Experiment and find out how much you pulse back, optimize your harnessing chunks around that amount.

In combat, this is going to impact your weapon DPS (harnessing, charging and invoking is RT you're not attacking with) but you should partially be making up for this by laying down sufficient debilitation and tm damage to move up in the hunting ladder.

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Ethereal Fissure 02/24/2016 03:38 PM CST
I'm going to disagree with cyclic debilitation needing a lot of mana. EE is an awesome spell, and only requires a tiny investment. It's really focused on OP's level range, 20ish, and that's where I was when the spell went on preview. I could cast it, and it was awesome.

Obviously you'll want 100 arcana to pick up the appropriate feat(s), but other than that, it's great.

Agree on TM though.
Re: Ethereal Fissure 02/25/2016 05:11 AM CST
Aeduin, I have a war mage about your level and ranks I'm currently toying with as a project. My biggest suggestion to you is to invest in, and make heavy use of, cambrinth. Straight prepping at your personal cap is far and away the least mana efficient method of going about things. Harnessing up chunks is better, but brings the risk of nerve damage. Cambrinth is most efficient, if a little slower (though at your magics I suspect you can charge/invoke within the prep time of the spell.

As for your question about casting a spell that requires 80 ranks, as others have said, there's some wiggle room. Additionally, Elemental Magic (when higher) acts as a bonusing skill to the lower magics for purposes of adding mana/successful casting.

I suspect taking up some mana management practices, and possibly chasing down the Deep Attunement feat will have greater impact on your mana levels then ETF will at your circle. Not that ETF is a bad choice by any means, and will serve you very well for the rest of your time, but a few playstyle changes will have a greater impact at your current level.

Good luck out there, and happy blasting.

Samsaren
Re: Ethereal Fissure 02/26/2016 01:43 PM CST
Thanks for the input so far, everyone.

How do you guys use cambrinth and harnessing to make your mana usage more efficient? Do you just harness half the mana at the beginning of the prep, and then prep it for the other half? Or do you break the harness into chunks of some size/periodicity? How does cambrinth play into this, especially prior to being able to charge it worn? Do your tactics for harnessing/charging cambrinth for spells change when talking about targeted or debilitation spells?

I saw Deep Attunement mentioned. I am getting close-ish to the 100 ranks in Arcana (it's near my other magics, at any rate), and it was one of the Magical Feats I had been eyeing. What other feats are suggested for a War Mage? I know we don't quite get enough spell slots to learn every spell possible, but it seems like we get well more than enough to learn every spell I would care to learn. So do War Mages tend to go Feat heavy?

Thanks, again.
Re: Ethereal Fissure 02/26/2016 01:55 PM CST
The feats I have, outside of the ones we receive free, are: Improvised Rituals, Raw Channeling, Efficient Channeling, Magic Theorist and Dedicated Cambrinth Use. Raw Channeling to fuel cyclical spells, such as EE, FR, AC, etc.

I prepare spell low, charge first cam armband, charge second cam armband, invoke both spell so my cyclic does not take the mana, then cast.

-Dartellum Waddle

Vote for DR: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Ethereal Fissure 02/26/2016 02:11 PM CST
>>How do you guys use cambrinth and harnessing to make your mana usage more efficient?

Unless I am being lazy (or need to invest my RTs elsewhere), I prep at minimum and harness in increments of 10-20 (someone starting out might need to use smaller amounts, both for their own management and because they're not casting at 80-100 preps). I don't really charge cambrinth in combat settings because the RT investment to charge is a lot longer than directly harnessing, and it's not like I'll be holding the mana that long anyway so the risk of nerve damage is rather low.

>>I saw Deep Attunement mentioned. I am getting close-ish to the 100 ranks in Arcana (it's near my other magics, at any rate), and it was one of the Magical Feats I had been eyeing. What other feats are suggested for a War Mage?

Raw {and Efficient) Channeling is a game changer for cyclic spells, so if you ever want to keep a cyclic up without having to keep a cambrinth charged to draw from or continually harness more and more mana to keep it running, definitely get raw. Efficient makes each cyclic pulse cost "less" mana, and with some cyclics those savings can really add up.

Sorcerous Patterns and Magical Theorist are pretty much necessary if you want to cast sorcerous magic (of the capital or lowercase s variety).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Ethereal Fissure 02/26/2016 02:18 PM CST
Not a war mage but I recommend all the Attunement magical feats to mages of any guild. Cautious casting and injured casting because nerve damage adds up.

Sorcerous patterns and the 2 Scroll feats depending on your desire to expand upon your spellbook and/or morality regarding the pursuit of sorcery.

Faster feats only shave off a second or two which depending on your latency is not a noticeable enough difference to spend a slot imo.

I don't pick up Masteries feats because I don't see the point in spending a spell slot to be able to cast a spell a few weeks or months earlier than I would otherwise be able to.

I did pick up Focused Preparation but I think that's of less value to a WM than it is to a MM.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Ethereal Fissure 02/26/2016 02:46 PM CST
Aeduin,

I'll place at the end of this both my magics, and spell selections so you've an idea of what I'm doing. As others have said, EVERY spell I cast, unless it is 10 mana or less, I prep at the minimum and use cambrinth to fill the rest. At the moment, that means a lot of holding armbands to cast, but that's the price I'll pay for 3 weeks until I can charge worn. Anywho, Every spell is the same, Prep [spell], Charge remaining mana, invoke, cast. This includes TM (currently casting STS @ 35ish manas). The only exception is debilitation, because I'm casting Tremor at 17 manas and don't care yet.

For Cyclics, I don't actually bother at this point. Pools are filled easily enough without, and I am planning to hold off on diving into cyclics until a cyclic TM spell, debilitation is just too easy to bother with spending slots on EE at the moment. Once you ARE to where you're using Cyclics a lot, Dedicated Cambrinth use can be handy, as you can charge up pieces, then use the special INVOKE's (invoke spell for example) so that the cyclic cannot pull the mana I'm dedicating to spell casting.

The primary reason everyone is suggesting things like Harnessing mana (I don't, but only because I'm a combat monkey and avoid nerve damage like the plague), or Cambrinth is efficiency. Prepping a spell at high mana and 'straight casting' is brutal on your attunement. Harnessing up chunks costs far less attunement per mana, at the cost of RTs and potential for nerve damage. Cambrinth is even more efficient mana per mana, however it costs in larger RTs, as well as requiring items. You can also supplement your attunement with feats like: Deep Attunement (bonus to regen), Efficient Harnessing (cheaper costs to magical actions), Efficient Channeling (10% reduction in cyclic costs). PERSONALLY, I suggest Deep Attunement and Efficient Harnessing for ALL magical guilds, and Raw and Efficient Channeling for anyone choosing to embrace Cyclic spells.

Hopefully, this helps with some clarity. As promised, my ranks/spells/feats are listed below.

Samsaren

Elemental Magic - 177.86
Arcana - 156.45
Attunement - 151.92
Summoning - 145.64
Augmentation - 135.34
Debilitation - 119.68
Warding - 94.94
Targeted Magic - 91.23
Utility - 89.40

In the chapter entitled "Aether Manipulation", you have notes on the Ethereal Shield [es], Substratum, Elementalism, and Expansive Infusions [ei] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Earth Manipulation", you have notes on the Tremor [trem], Sure Footing [suf], Stone Strike [sts], and Anther's Call [anc] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Air Manipulation", you have notes on the Zephyr, Tailwind [tw], Swirling Winds [sw], and Quick Infusions [qi] spells.

You recall proficiency with the magic feats of Faster Targeting, Targeted Mastery and Deep Attunement.
Re: Ethereal Fissure 02/26/2016 02:53 PM CST
>>Faster feats only shave off a second or two which depending on your latency is not a noticeable enough difference to spend a slot imo.

IMO the only ones that could arguably have value are the combat-based ones. I could see wanting to complete being fully aimed for a TM spell in 8 seconds instead of 10 (or whatever) a lot more than wanting to really cast Mantle of Flame or another booster.

Re: Ethereal Fissure 02/26/2016 03:39 PM CST
>How do you guys use cambrinth and harnessing to make your mana usage more efficient?

There are two dimensions of mana efficiency. First, as Samsaren mentioned, a staight prep of 20 mana costs a higher percentage of attunement than does harnessing 20 mana, which in turn depletes more attunement than charging cambrinth with 20 mana. The second dimension is that efficiency decreases the more mana you use. Harnessing 40 mana is more than double the attunement cost of harnessing 20 mana twice. This is another huge benefit of chunking, your attunement stretches farther if you work with smaller quantities even before accounting for regen pulses.

I hadn't thought about the perils of nerve damage! Yes that's something you need to worry about more at lower skill levels... At this point in my mage's carreer (80ish), I have enough attunement skill that harnessing mana briefly isn't very dangeous and it's easy enough to carry nerve tonic in the event I do something fantastically stupid or get stunned at a bad time. I used to use cambrinth in combat, but since you can no longer train down cambrinth roundtimes it is not worth it once you can safely harness. Very large cambrinth remains indispensable for buffing since none of our buffs are battle spells and you have a huge preparation time to work in.

Re: Ethereal Fissure 02/26/2016 05:55 PM CST
Another factor is prep time vs. charge time. If you're spreading out your charges to such a degree that the roundtime for the charges/harnesses is taking longer than it takes to get to full prep then you're losing a fair bit of efficiency. So balance your attunement needs with cambrinth charges and held mana that still allow you to cast your spell immediately when it reaches full prep.