Frostbite, thoughts? 11/29/2015 06:11 AM CST
Currently looking at what I should start aiming for with my next set of spell slots and I'm wondering if Frostbite is worth the large cost. Where do most people find this spell to be useful? Any advice would be great.
Re: Frostbite, thoughts? 11/29/2015 08:38 AM CST
Frostbite works to knock down and fatigue many creatures. It also works debilitation. I use it in in my regular hunting.

-Dartellum Waddle

Vote for DR: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Frostbite, thoughts? 11/29/2015 08:44 AM CST
Well. It depends on where you are now. It's not worth skipping out on the crucial buffs like SW and SuF. SW, SuF, and later AEG are your most important spells.

If you are lacking a disabler, frostbite is a good choice. I prefer to use thunderclap, but you need access to an early disabler, which frostbite can fulfill.

For me, disablers go Thunderclap > Frostbite > Tremor > Anther's Call > Vertigo

But if you were to give us more information like, what spells you have, how many slots you have to spend, and roughly where you are in the hunting ladder, I could be more pacific.
Re: Frostbite, thoughts? 11/29/2015 10:14 AM CST
>>If you are lacking a disabler, frostbite is a good choice. I prefer to use thunderclap, but you need access to an early disabler, which frostbite can fulfill.

I'm still pretty low circle so I've been using MoA so far, useful but won't last much longer. Does Frostbite serve well outside of training? Do people find it advantageous in invasions? PvP?
Re: Frostbite, thoughts? 11/30/2015 12:14 PM CST
>>Currently looking at what I should start aiming for with my next set of spell slots and I'm wondering if Frostbite is worth the large cost. Where do most people find this spell to be useful? Any advice would be great.<<

Frostbite's AOE effects are:

1) Drain fatigue from affected targets.
2) Debuff the stamina of effective targets.

If you succeed in draining enough fatigue you'll cause targets to fall to the ground.

Whether that's useful depends on what you're trying to accomplish!

For PvE...

If you're trying to work offense and don't mind that your targets aren't attacking as much (they have to pick themselves up and reset if you put them down) it could be good.

If not getting attacked as much is not something you want, you might find Tremor better because it disadvantages your mobs with a pulsing balance hit but they otherwise act as normal.

If you want to absolutely stop the action RIGHT NOW for a period, so that nothing is attacking you and everything is stunned, Thunderclap is more what you'd want.

For PvP, the fatigue drain will impact your target's attacking and spellcasting. Getting knocked to the ground won't knock them out of hiding (which it seems like it should?) but they'll have to pop out to stand up. And it won't trigger a stun hider and send someone back into hiding like other options.

I personally didn't take it, because the other two spells work for my AOE debil needs and I didn't really see the need. But it could work for your style. Just depends.

Mazrian
Re: Frostbite, thoughts? 12/01/2015 01:28 PM CST
Appreciate the replies here. Definitely given me somethings to think about in regards to our AOE disablers. Greatly appreciated.
Re: Frostbite, thoughts? 12/05/2015 06:12 PM CST
Came up with another question related to Frostbite.

With the fatigue drain, is that instantaneous or does it pulse throughout the room and take time to tank someone's fatigue?
Re: Frostbite, thoughts? 12/05/2015 07:32 PM CST
Depends on the mana pumped into it. I can fatigue Fendryads with one cast of 20 mana. They drop to the ground on the second 20 mana cast. The spell does not pulse. You can cast creature (all creatures are hit including guardian spirits, and others), cast area (everything in room), or cast (just what is engaged is hit).

-Dartellum Waddle

Vote for DR: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Frostbite, thoughts? 12/06/2015 12:29 AM CST
Worth mentioning that Frostbite cannot drop fatigue to zero, even cumulative casts! You don't need to zero fatigue to really lay on the penalties, though.

Mind you, Zephyr is also an area-of-effect, so having a powerful zephyr up is a bit counterproductive.

Your search-fu is pig dung!