Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/10/2015 03:17 PM CST
If I forget a spell, tingle, I have enough to either go Ice Patch --> RimeFang or enough for Tremor and will need to wait a bit for Ring of Spears. Thoughts? I have all the air spells and all first level spells. Looking for which is better for now? I believe Shockwave and Ring of Spears go well together; however, I would need to wait until I have enough spell slots. (Maybe I already talked myself into one).

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/10/2015 05:23 PM CST
I use ring of spears 24/7/452.

The difference is pretty simple.

RoS is pulsing ONE strike to EVERYTHING in melee|pole weapon range.

Rimefang is <number of blades> strikes divided among <number of enemies in melee>.

Thus, if you have lots of things at melee with you, a low power RoS will be guaranteed 4 hits per pulse. But if you have one next to you, you get one lousy strike.

Rimefang, you have to pump a TON of mana to generate multiple blades. If you have 4 blades and 4 in melee you will get the same effect as RoS for a much higher cost. HOWEVER, if there is only one enemy and you have 4 blades out, that one guy get his 4 times. See the difference?

Fire rain is even better than both of these in most applications. The exceptions being 1.) fire immune, 2.) out doors, 3.) killing too fast. I actually stop learning shield/evasion when fire rain is up.

*I am actually a little uncertain about rimefang now that I've spoken decisively about it. I will test here shortly and repost to confirm.
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/10/2015 06:25 PM CST
So, Rimefang generates 1-3 blades per pulse and you can keep at most 5 blades. Each blade is one hit. There is a pulse for generating blades and a pulse for attacking with blades.

You can only hit each enemy once per attack pulse.

Thus, rimefang is worse than RoS in every way except it may be more versatile with respect to location. That said, I've never run into restrictions on RoS.
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 06:44 AM CST
Thanks for the information! From the sound of your testing, Rimefang needs some love. I will still remove Tremor, I think. I will need to pick up the feats to make cyclic spells work easier.

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 07:30 AM CST
I prefer Rimefang, but it's not necessarily a straight-forward question.

1) Rimefang does more damage per strike than ROS, even considering ROS is multi-shot. There are a couple of things that probably play into that. Single-shot attacks do more damage than multi-shot per attack because of the way armor factors in, first. Second, Rimefang has a cold damage component while ROS is pure physical damage; armor on many creatures is weak to elemental damage.

2) Generating 3 blades per pulse, you'll have enough blades to hit once per creature in all but the swarmiest situations most of the time. And Rimefang will be killing things pretty quickly.

3) Rimefang has none of the movement / engagement restrictions of Ring of Spears so it's more flexible to use. ROS will take a pulse to reestablish itself if you change rooms, advance, retreat, and do some other random things.

4) Rimefang pulses faster than ROS.

So for most applications I think Rimefang is just a better spell. However, it depends on what you want your spell to do and how much mana you can invest.

1) When cast at pole range, Ring of Spears will hit anything passing through pole range. If you're forcing things through pole range a lot without advancing/retreating yourself (which imo is kind of gimmicky - in my experience, if you can take your time to set that up you can basically do whatever because you're not in danger) you can get extra hits that way - though if things stay at melee you'll get none. If you're fighting stealthy things or people that might be useful. With Rimefang you have to hope your attack pulses after your attacker hits melee but before you get attacked.

2) Rimefang will absolutely kill the heck out of creatures. If you want them to stick around longer so you can train, while still getting your trickle of TM experience from using the cyclic, ROS may be better.

3) You really need to be generating 3 blades to get the most out of Rimefang when you're hunting or in a dangerous invasion scenario. If you can't or don't want to put the iirc 32 mana in per pulse to do that you may find your results inconsistent and ROS might be better.

I would honestly not look at either of those spells until you're late in your career, though. You'll have to cap them to get the most out of either one and that takes a lot of skill. In the meantime, there are more useful things you could work toward. On the merits I'd get Ice Patch and Tremor (for hunting, Tremor is sweet) then maybe work up to Aegis of Granite or Mantle of Flame, consider Fire Rain for invasions, then maybe think about the other two cyclic TM spells.

Mazrian
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 08:21 AM CST
From a pvp standpoint, rimefang is far more annoying to get past. Still totally doable, but FAR more annoying.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 08:44 AM CST
I am circle 52. My spells and feats at the moment:

You recall the spells you have learned from your training.

In the chapter entitled "Aether Manipulation", you have notes on the Ethereal Shield [es], Substratum, Ethereal Fissure [etf], and Elementalism spells.

In the chapter entitled "Electricity Manipulation", you have notes on the Tingle [ti] and Gar Zeng [gz] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Fire Manipulation", you have notes on the Fire Shards [fs], Flame Shockwave [fls], and Ignite spells.

In the chapter entitled "Water Manipulation", you have notes on the Frostbite, Rising Mists [rm], and Geyser spells.

In the chapter entitled "Earth Manipulation", you have notes on the Sure Footing [suf] and Stone Strike [sts] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Air Manipulation", you have notes on the Zephyr, Tailwind [tw], Paeldryth's Wrath [pw], Shockwave, Swirling Winds [sw], Vertigo, Air Lash [ala], Thunderclap [tc], Y'ntrel Sechra [ys], Air Bubble [ab], and Blufmor Garaen [bg] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Analogous Patterns", you have notes on the Gauge Flow [gaf] spells.

You know the following Aether cantrips: Aether Spheres, Aethereal Image, and Pattern Hues.
You know the following Electricity cantrips: Electric Charge and Will O' Wisp.
You know the following Fire cantrips: Burning Touch and Flashpoint.
You know the following Water cantrips: Water Globe, Crystallize Ice, and Raincloud.
You know the following Earth cantrips: Stone Seat and Reinforce Stone.
You know the following Air cantrips: Air Blast and Gust of Wind.

You recall proficiency with the magic feats of Faster Targeting, Faster Battle Preparations, Targeted Mastery, Injured Casting and Magic Theorist.

You have 1 spell slot available.

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 10:03 AM CST
>>From a pvp standpoint, rimefang is far more annoying to get past. Still totally doable, but FAR more annoying.

That's interesting to hear. Why do you say that?

>>Dart's Spells

A couple of spells you'll IMO want immediately are Fireball for training TM, and Aether Cloak for training Warding.

After that you have to ask yourself what you want. IMO working up to Aegis of Granite for the str/sta/shield boosts would help a lot in your hunting. Or maybe Mantle of Flames if your defense is high relative to your offense.

Mazrian
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 10:09 AM CST
I feel it's just harder to get at you, It can still be done with very careful timing. But the trick is doing it before getting hit 3-5 times.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 10:16 AM CST
I can unlearn Tingle and grab Fireball and Aether Cloak. That is the only way to to do that presently, unless I wait more circles.

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 11:06 AM CST
Can PW be used to pull and push your target through RoS repeatedly?

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 12:18 PM CST
I believe so. I have Shockwave and it pushes all engaged back. I think it would work well with RoS.

I would like to see a feat, or something, to allow two cyclic spells at the same time. Something to look forward to when magics hit the 1000's each.

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 12:22 PM CST

> I would like to see a feat, or something, to allow two cyclic spells at the same time. Something to look forward to when magics hit the 1000's each.

Speaking as a bard, so would I.
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 01:12 PM CST
Two cyclics at a time are not an option ATM. Even if I believed it could be balanced successfully (I don't), it'd require too much rewriting of the magic code to let it work properly. We're more-or-less done with the era of extensive system rewrites like that in the foreseeable future.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 02:06 PM CST
>Two cyclics at a time are not an option ATM. Even if I believed it could be balanced successfully (I don't), it'd require too much rewriting of the magic code to let it work properly. We're more-or-less done with the era of extensive system rewrites like that in the foreseeable future.

The obvious solution is to give each guild a single version of OM, which can hold only a certain subset of spells, and be fed from your mana pool. Say running a cyclic increases the drain 1.5 times.

Now ask me how likely I think that duct-tape solution is!
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 05:14 PM CST

> The obvious solution is to give each guild a single version of OM, which can hold only a certain subset of spells, and be fed from your mana pool. Say running a cyclic increases the drain 1.5 times.

The obvious answer is to accept that there are differences between guilds, and not all guilds can do all things.
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 05:16 PM CST
>>Can PW be used to pull and push your target through RoS repeatedly?

It can. But why not just cast a direct damage spell instead?

Mazrian
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 06:17 PM CST
>The obvious answer is to accept that there are differences between guilds, and not all guilds can do all things.

http://bfy.tw/2zf
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 06:36 PM CST

> http://bfy.tw/2zf

If you want to google something, try this: Poe's Law.
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 07:52 PM CST
>If you want to google something, try this: Poe's Law.

It helps if you read the whole post?

>The obvious solution is to give each guild a single version of OM, which can hold only a certain subset of spells, and be fed from your mana pool. Say running a cyclic increases the drain 1.5 times.

>Now ask me how likely I think that duct-tape solution is!

The last part, 'duct-tape' solution, would not typically imply overt seriousness, especially when paired with a exclamation point and a fairly obvious rhetorical question (so obvious it wasn't declared with a question mark).
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 07:56 PM CST

> The last part, 'duct-tape' solution, would not typically imply overt seriousness, especially when paired with a exclamation point and a fairly obvious rhetorical question (so obvious it wasn't declared with a question mark).

That's good to know. I didn't realize so many of your posts were jokes.

PS:
Poe's law is an Internet adage which states that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, parodies of extreme views will be mistaken by some readers for sincere expressions of the parodied views.
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 09:15 PM CST
>I am circle 52.

You're going to want to wait on Rimefang. It's wonderful, but you're going to want to be in the 600+ skill range to make real use of it. I found RoS to be much more efficient at lower skill ranks -- RoS is worth leaving up at close to minimum prep, Rimefang is not.

Your search-fu is pig dung!
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 10:04 PM CST
Good to know on the skill level. My Magic skills are higher than my circle level. I am still getting even with my skills, even after a real life year to do so. On the plus side, my main weapon is higher than TM and all my other weapons are closing in; except 2h blunt and sling.

Lots of good suggestions. I am running back to Throne City tomorrow for the next pathway. I think I will forget tingle and see where I go. For cyclicals, I need a feat to ease it, correct? Raw channeling, I think. And another one. My wife picked up two for Guardian Spirit and they made a difference.

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 10:12 PM CST
Yep. Raw Channeling lets you power cyclic spells straight from your attunement. Efficient Channeling reduces the cost of maintaining them. Some people don't get Efficient, but Raw Channeling is almost universally recommended.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Raw_Channeling

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/11/2015 10:35 PM CST
Well, there you have it. Two devastatingly handsome warrior mages of average intelligence with completely different opinions! Good luck.
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/12/2015 08:24 AM CST

> Two cyclics at a time are not an option ATM. Even if I believed it could be balanced successfully (I don't), it'd require too much rewriting of the magic code to let it work properly. We're more-or-less done with the era of extensive system rewrites like that in the foreseeable future.

> -Armifer

Does this include systems like trader magic, bard or paladin abilities, or the crowd/busking system?
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/12/2015 08:53 AM CST
Those aren't rewrites.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/12/2015 09:14 AM CST
>>Those aren't rewrites.

This.

The issue is that we don't want to theoretically spend a year+ on Magic 4 or similar infrastructural projects until the 3.0 and 3.1 pushes are a distant memory.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Rimefang or Ring of Spears? 11/19/2015 07:10 PM CST
Rimefang goes up to 7 blades at 40 mana.