Ethereal Shield? Not working against fire shards? 10/04/2015 05:00 AM CDT
Quick Question.

So in fire sprites... The maidens cast Fire Shard at me, but it seems to hit my hand held targe first before hitting my ethereal shield. Why doesn't the ethereal shield shimmer or reduce or deflect the shards before they hit my targe? I thought it was some sorta bubble around me? Maybe this is old thinking. Thanks for getting me up to speed.
Re: Ethereal Shield? Not working against fire shards? 10/04/2015 06:52 AM CDT
<<So in fire sprites... The maidens cast Fire Shard at me, but it seems to hit my hand held targe first before hitting my ethereal shield. Why doesn't the ethereal shield shimmer or reduce or deflect the shards before they hit my targe? I thought it was some sorta bubble around me? Maybe this is old thinking. Thanks for getting me up to speed.

If you mean functionally... Ethereal Shield, like all damage reduction abilities, only functions after actual damage is calculated. I.e. after your shield and other defenses are applied. In effect it's an extra layer of armor. If there's any inconsistencies based on the way it looks (does it even message as a sphere anywhere anymore? I can't find a reference to this anywhere in the games messaging) then it's just one of those things that gets hand-waved away.

If you mean the order of the messages in combat... that's just a quirk of the way it sometimes looks due to the multi-strike. Here's some examples:

1. First hit is partially blocked by shield, so wards kick in and message before the shield strike and the damage that got through messages. I.e. everything up to and including the damage to the arm. Then then second strike is completely dodged, so no shield or ward messaging kicks in.

A fire maiden gestures at you.
The fire maiden winks and points at you.
Several shards of elemental flame fly at you!

Your ethereal shield crackles with energy!
The air around you solidifies into a slight yellow flicker and intercepts the attack with a shower of coruscating light.
The fire shard glances off your shield.
The fire shard glances off your right arm, singeing it a little.
A fire shard misses you!

2. Here's one where it appears the shield messages first, but the first block is actually the first shard in it's entirety and the second shard is a partial block represented by everything from the ethereal shield crackling with energy to the end.

You block the fire shard with your shield.
The air around you solidifies into a slight yellow flicker and throws off bright waves of light as it resists the attack.
The fire shard glances off your abdomen, singeing it a little.

3. Here's an example where both shards are partially blocked to show how it triggers on each hit.

The fire shard glances off your abdomen, singeing it a little.
The fire shard singes the fingers of your right hand.
---
4. And here's two full blocks, again no ward message triggered because there's no damage to reduce.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators