Best level 5-10 debilitation spell 05/10/2015 07:46 AM CDT
So I've been tooling around a lot in the lower ranks of WMs, just to see which spell path seems 'ideal' from a 'getting good bonuses at low levels while also getting the best training options'.

Frankly, air just smashes everything else away, that I've tried. Having zephyr at level 2 for utility, then ES at 3 for warding (then tacking on an ease scroll for augmentation) is great, especially with how useful Zephyr is for low level characters.

The one thing it leaves poorly is debilitation training. I've played with anther's call it never blew my socks off (I'm sure the imobilization effect is cool at higher levels, but in the level 1-20 range, it misses 90% of the time).

I think I'm going to save my slots till I hit 8 for elementalism, and then pick up some other spells. First priority will be a deblilitation spell, second would be a WM aug spell. So far I've got zephyr, ala, es, and ease (scroll), so by 8th I'll have 5 open spell slots.

End goal is to be more of an earth oriented mage, but the other trees have too much potency to ignore. So I thought I'd ask what other people would recommend. I'm not really that interested in grabbing a duplicate entry level TM spell unless you can convince me it's something I 'need' to have.
Re: Best level 5-10 debilitation spell 05/10/2015 08:12 AM CDT
Your debil choices in that range are Anther's Call and Ice Patch. There are situations that will make one or the other unusable so you want them both eventually, but starting out I'd pick Ice Patch.

Mazrian
Re: Best level 5-10 debilitation spell 05/10/2015 08:16 AM CDT
Can't edit but additionally -

If you're missing a lot you either need to add more mana to get a bigger bonus to the contest, or raise the stats on your side of the contest.

Anther's Call is Magic vs Fortitude and Ice Patch is Magic vs Reflexes so either one will benefit from more Wisdom, Intelligence, and Discipline in that order.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Magic_3.0

Hope that helps. =)

Mazrian
Re: Best level 5-10 debilitation spell 05/10/2015 08:44 AM CDT
>If you're missing a lot you either need to add more mana to get a bigger bonus to the contest, or raise the stats on your side of the contest.

Ya, I think the problem is when I read 'vs. fort' I always think it's my fort. vs. theirs, but no, stupid, it's not. Too many years playing D&D, subconscious thing.

ANC was a good trainer, but the 'natural floor' thing kinda made me go 'meh'. What are the restrictions on ice patch, aside from things it won't effect?
Re: Best level 5-10 debilitation spell 05/10/2015 12:47 PM CDT
IP they can block the stun with a shield, also can't down someone who's prone, sitting, kneeling, or anything that flies, floats, or slithers. Plus side, you can usually snap it the second the stand up since their balance is prolly tanked, and just keep doing that over and over obnoxiously. Doesn't work in water though.

ANC renders them immobile, so you can snap an IP at them first, or after, and they'll still be tied up. Also it's a slight reflex debuff(not that great) so you should be able to wail a little easier. Usually lasted 5-10 seconds. Tingle will offer a slight temporary agility debuff too.

If you're having trouble making contact, maybe adjust your Spell Stance? You may be a bit too young for it to make much of a difference...

Re: Best level 5-10 debilitation spell 05/10/2015 07:13 PM CDT
>>ANC was a good trainer, but the 'natural floor' thing kinda made me go 'meh'. What are the restrictions on ice patch, aside from things it won't effect?<<

The main things: won't affect targets that are prone or kneeling, harder to pull off against four legged creatures, doesn't work on some creatures for the reasons PH mentioned.

Mazrian
Re: Best level 5-10 debilitation spell 05/10/2015 07:19 PM CDT
There are a couple critters that are immune to various spells (or entire books) just because. Snowbeasts just ignore ice patch. It's always a good idea not to have just one basket of eggs!

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.