Re: Elemental Weapons 03/31/2015 06:41 PM CDT
Keep practicing! You can eventually turn your opposing element into whatever!

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/01/2015 10:06 AM CDT
>> A slight exaggeration, but that does sound about right if you are aligned to Air. :(

I cannot summon at 3/12. Or, if I can, it's at the high levels of 3/12. I failed so many times I stopped trying and my script only tries at 4/12 or higher.

It's a fantastic system, my WM in TF (~150 summoning) is training summoning almost exclusively through it with just the occasional pathway. But I train every melee weapon, so I do a fair bit of swapping out weapon types. And as a relatively low strength character, not carrying every weapon type has made a huge difference in the early circles.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/01/2015 10:47 AM CDT
I can't get an aligned, stone or opposed weapon at 2/12. But I can get all 3 at 3/12. Summoning is 611 ranks so must get easier as gets higher. Anyone with really high 1000+ summoning able to summon weapons at 2/12?

I'm aligned to Fire and opposed to Electricity (standard I would get rid of all these spells if I could, electricity book is a waste, except tingle, and I want the spell slots to get all elemental weapons meta-spells because they are cool and useful)

You turn your perceptions inward, assessing the elemental influences over your body.
A small charge lingers within your body.
Your body is aligned with the Elemental Plane of Fire and opposed to the Elemental Plane of Electricity.

Closing your eyes, you grunt briefly in effort as you sense a small earthen ethereal fissure open in front of you. Thrusting your hand through, you draw out a stone hara. As you open your eyes, the fissure closes.
Roundtime: 1 sec.

Focusing your will, you rip the stone hara asunder, returning it to the Elemental planes.

You turn your perceptions inward, assessing the elemental influences over your body.
A small charge lingers within your body, just above the threshold of perception.
Your body is aligned with the Elemental Plane of Fire and opposed to the Elemental Plane of Electricity.
s> sum weapon elec
You lack the resolve to summon a weapon.
s> sum adm

You make yourself comfortable and turn your attention inward.
Tracing the lines of the aetheric landscape, you find a transient weak point. You align yourself to it, briefly increasing your proximity to the Elemental Plane of Fire.
Roundtime: 12 sec.

Finishing your meditation, you feel that you can still gather a much bigger charge.

A small charge lingers within your body.

Closing your eyes, you grunt briefly in effort as you sense a small electrical ethereal fissure open in front of you. Thrusting your hand through, you draw out an electric hara. As you open your eyes, the fissure closes.
Roundtime: 1 sec.

[20:11] Chatter[Arathael] Usually only get skill when it's successful.
[20:13] Chatter[Morpion] Thats why Arathael has 0.00 ranks in Getting Girls
[20:14] Chatter[Arathael] =(
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/01/2015 10:54 AM CDT
I bet stamina factors in.

Re: Elemental Weapons 04/01/2015 11:16 AM CDT
>I bet stamina factors in.

Here's my stats. Not super awesome but getting there.

Strength : 70 Reflex : 70
Agility : 70 Charisma : 40
Discipline : 60 Wisdom : 50
Intelligence : 54 Stamina : 60

Concentration : 321 Max : 321

I know its a right out the gate skill Javac, but would be kind of good if needed more charge when young and as got older (higher stats/ranks) less. Not saying circle 1 needs 12/12 charge to summon weapon, but starting it at 6/12 and every X ranks lowers a tier of charge needed. Before lower skill people chime in "NOT FAIR RABBLE RABBLE HATE MKIBBE1 IDEA BAD RAWR!" using SUMMON ADMITTANCE to fill charge really doesn't take much effort and DOES train some summoning skill as it fills.

Side note, I'd love a faster building charge ability (like summon admittance) for in combat that didn't make you sit down.

Re: Elemental Weapons 04/01/2015 11:23 AM CDT
>>I'm aligned to Fire and opposed to Electricity (standard I would get rid of all these spells if I could, electricity book is a waste, except tingle, and I want the spell slots to get all elemental weapons meta-spells because they are cool and useful)

If I'm not mistaken, everything involving summoning and shaping pulls on earth, so you shouldn't notice a difference between the elemental shapes.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/01/2015 11:27 AM CDT

I'm a big dummy and I half read. Saw the opposed to air post and thought made a difference to all elements. ot just Earth vs Air.

Re: Elemental Weapons 04/01/2015 11:51 AM CDT
>would be kind of good if needed more charge when young and as got older

Kind of a double whammy since older folks have a larger pool as well. This ability was targeted at giving younger folks a reason to care about the Elemental Charge system, instead of just SUMMON ADMITTANCE and SUMMON IMPEDANCE over and over to learn the skill.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/01/2015 12:07 PM CDT
>I bet stamina factors in.

Only Stamina factors in. Summoning skill only increases how fast admittance works, the size of your charge pool is determined by Stamina.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/01/2015 12:19 PM CDT
>> This ability was targeted at giving younger folks a reason to care about the Elemental Charge system, instead of just SUMMON ADMITTANCE and SUMMON IMPEDANCE over and over to learn the skill.

It does that and much, much more. Thank you!
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/01/2015 12:27 PM CDT
Do domains do anything with weapons? Haven't actually tried anything together with them yet. Or bear fams?

If not are there any plans to tie them together in the future?

Re: Elemental Weapons 04/01/2015 01:26 PM CDT
>If not are there any plans to tie them together in the future?

It doesn't interact with either, and as I've said elsewhere the only plans I have right now are the changes I mentioned to slots, templates, and more forging synergies.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 12:43 PM CDT
>more forging synergies.

Alright, everybody seems on board with my proposal, so here's the thing. The Air metaspell will go up to 2 slots, but it will allow you to PULL your weapon to reduce its density to 4, or PUSH your weapon to increase its density to 6, IF AND ONLY IF you have the Weaponcraft Acumen technique. I know other techniques probably make more sense, but this means that you have to choose a hobby or career to get all of the techniques that interact with this system.

Unfortunately, this new behavior is unlikely to get done before the preview is over (I'll try, but no promises). The Air metaspell will still be increased to 2 slots before the preview ends, so we don't have to do funky things later.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 01:12 PM CDT
Would it not make more sense to require weapon balancing?

I could see the Aether ability requiring Acumen, it would seem to fit better.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 01:33 PM CDT
>IF AND ONLY IF you have the Weaponcraft Acumen technique.

If that's the case will we get the bonus purity to the ingots (In this case so they last for more uses) we use for summoning through Weaponcraft Metallurgy? Or eliminate completely the random aspect of reducing quality altogether. Its a pretty hefty commitment to get all those techniques.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 01:40 PM CDT
<<The Air metaspell will still be increased to 2 slots before the preview ends, so we don't have to do funky things later.

Just to confirm, since there wasn't a follow up post after you said it was very likely all of the metaspells would go up to 2 slots. Is that still the case? This post makes it seem like air was or is an exception. I just want to make sure I didn't jump the gun on elanthipedia with the slot costs.

Related... from that same post there was mention of changing the large edged and 2he templates. Did that happen too? If not, will it happen? I suppose I could check later when I get home from work but it ties in with above question so I thought I'd ask.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 01:48 PM CDT
>> The Air metaspell will go up to 2 slots, but it will allow you to PULL your weapon to reduce its density to 4, or PUSH your weapon to increase its density to 6, IF AND ONLY IF you have the Weaponcraft Acumen technique.

That's awesome! It's impressive the ability is usable at first circle and will be able to grow with characters as they progress.

Will the density change persist after a pull? I frequently summon a weapon and then change it into something else repeatedly over the course of a hunt. If I pull it to be a 4 density and then change the weapon type, is still a 4 density?
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 01:48 PM CDT
>Would it not make more sense to require weapon balancing?

Honestly, the only one that makes sense is Weapon Honing. If I do anything, it'll be to require Weapon Honing in addition to Weaponcraft Acumen. The goal is to provide the benefit to people who show dedication to Weaponsmithing.

>Its a pretty hefty commitment to get all those techniques.

That's the point. That said, unless you want every weapon at Tier 5, you don't need all the individual weapons' techniques.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 01:52 PM CDT
>since there wasn't a follow up post after you said it was very likely all of the metaspells would go up to 2 slots. Is that still the case?

I posted in either this thread or another one. Air, Aether, and Earth will go up to 2 slots. Electricity, Fire, and Water will remain at 1 slot.

>from that same post there was mention of changing the large edged and 2he templates. Did that happen too? If not, will it happen?

I haven't had time to put in any of the discussed changes.

>If I pull it to be a 4 density and then change the weapon type, is still a 4 density?

I haven't written it yet, but I'm pretty sure this won't be a problem.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 01:57 PM CDT
Thank you for working with us on this Javac, and thank you for including the ability to shape the density of the weapon, I look forward to being able to fully use the entire system.

Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 04:27 PM CDT
As a suggestion for a QoL change, any chance that it could remember you had an ingot for further changes to the weapon? As it stands right now you need to bring out the ingot any time you mess with the weapon or you lose the ingot bonus when changing types.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 04:31 PM CDT
>>As a suggestion for a QoL change, any chance that it could remember you had an ingot for further changes to the weapon? As it stands right now you need to bring out the ingot any time you mess with the weapon or you lose the ingot bonus when changing types.

yes please, i thought it already was

Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 05:12 PM CDT
>>As a suggestion for a QoL change, any chance that it could remember you had an ingot for further changes to the weapon? As it stands right now you need to bring out the ingot any time you mess with the weapon or you lose the ingot bonus when changing types.

I'll make you cookies.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 06:55 PM CDT
>I know other techniques probably make more sense, but this means that you have to choose a hobby or career to get all of the techniques that interact with this system.

Is selecting a hobby/career still a permanent choice? Cause I've got blacksmithing as a hobby and alchemy as a career and it'd be nice if I could swap something. At least blacksmithing anyway.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 07:51 PM CDT
<<I posted in either this thread or another one. Air, Aether, and Earth will go up to 2 slots. Electricity, Fire, and Water will remain at 1 slot.

Ah, sorry. I haven't got to that post yet. Thanks!

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 11:09 PM CDT
> I posted in either this thread or another one. Air, Aether, and Earth will go up to 2 slots. Electricity, Fire, and Water will remain at 1 slot.

Javac, I strongly urge you to reconsider on Aether. Right now, this system seems great for those who are weaponsmiths and want engage in basically weaponsmithing their magic weapons. That's cool, and I'm glad they enjoy it, but even at 1 slot the system seems too slot-expensive if you can afford a decent weapon.

Right now the only real use I'm seeing for the ability is to make cool weapons to train my secondary or tertiary weapons. And even then, the 1 spell slot for that seems expensive. I had truly hoped that the ability to make a mundane weapon of any type would be included in the base ability. Because, honestly, under what tiny set of circumstances am I going to be deprived of my primary weapon?

1 slot for a fun toy to train large edged or something is neat. 2 slots... Meh. I'll just spend the tiny amount of money to get a steel one. Yes, I know I'll have to deal with the weight. Ease Burden only costs one spell slot. The more limited (even if more fun!) alternative to it shouldn't cost more.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 11:19 PM CDT

> Right now the only real use I'm seeing for the ability is to make cool weapons to train my secondary or tertiary weapons.

I've recently been educated on this, so someone with more experience in the system is sure to correct me; however, here's what I'm seeing:

1. Weapons you are okay losing. You're dead? You can depart now without worrying about a bonding potion or getting back to your corpose.

2. Forge quality weapons that don't consume the ingot used. Have that super rare unobtanium with enough power to shatter Grazhir (again!) then you can make any weapon you want with it... over, and over again. You don't have to worry about losing the material by choosing one weapon that isn't important to you later.

3. Elemental damage. This results in bigger hits against a lot of creatures/armored mobs, and that translates into more experience. Different meta spells allow you to custom tailor your weapon to your situation, if you care about that. Don't get them if you don't.

4. Flexible density. See #2.

5. Damage. Parrying with that sword a lot? It's starting to get damaged? Just replace it.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/03/2015 11:57 PM CDT
Basically everything Volcanus said, plus it's a sorely needed Warrior buff tied into summoning which we lacked.

Re: Elemental Weapons 04/04/2015 12:04 AM CDT
I assume it works, but does anyone have a log of using an elemental weapon with a barrage attack? I don't recall seeing one posted yet.

Re: Elemental Weapons 04/04/2015 12:08 AM CDT
>Basically everything Volcanus said, plus it's a sorely needed Warrior buff tied into summoning which we lacked.

I'd argue it's tied into weaponsmithing more so than summoning. All summoning seems to do(and ever do) is decrease RT with more ranks. Not make anything better based on summoning skill.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/04/2015 12:16 AM CDT
Sorry, that's not 100% accurate, summoning does reduce the degradation of whatever ingot you were using when upgrading the weapons.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/04/2015 12:23 AM CDT
>I strongly urge you to reconsider on Aether.

I was almost asked to increase it further. By comparison, Shape Moonblade opens four additional weapon types at one slot. I said, it gives them nine additional weapon types, roughly twice as much, so the slot cost should be twice as much. There is no way you'll get a spell that does more than twice as much as another spell for the same cost.

>1 slot for a fun toy to train large edged or something is neat.

It is not Large Edged or something. It is Large Edged and something, and something else, and something else, et cetera...

>I'll just spend the tiny amount of money to get a steel one.

That's fine. The goal of this ability is not to replace every metal weapon for every WM. In fact, that is part of why we raised the slot costs. It was far too powerful at one slot each.

>The more limited (even if more fun!) alternative to it shouldn't cost more.

If all you see in this ability is an alternative to Ease Burden, then it's probably not for you. Not every ability/spell will be right for every player. That's a good thing. The game is more fun when there are meaningful choices to be made. Do you get this, or that? If I could, I would release enough spells in every guild so that they could never get them all. The same with Khri and Roars/Forms/Meditations.

>All summoning seems to do(and ever do) is decrease RT with more ranks.

It also modifies the volume required to avoid the quality loss. Very, very slowly. At over 1500 ranks, you only need one volume. There is a skill level below which you will always lower the quality of the ingot, as well.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Elemental Weapons 04/04/2015 12:44 AM CDT
>If all you see in this ability is an alternative to Ease Burden, then it's probably not for you. Not every ability/spell will be right for every player. That's a good thing. The game is more fun when there are meaningful choices to be made. Do you get this, or that?

My main problem has always been that I have 200+ ranks in forging and blacksmithing as a hobby because that was a choice based on what was available 2-3 years ago. Since there's been no response about possibly being able to switch that to weaponsmithing it feels less like a meaningful choice and more of a trap. I'm pretty sure people would be hard pressed to accept various spell changes for balance/system changes without any choice of changing which spells they have on the premise of not every spell is right for every player.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/04/2015 01:27 AM CDT
I picked up weaponsmithing as one of my hobbies. Before 3.0 and all the crafting stuff, I was able to make weapons with old crafting. I spent a lot of time (back when skills trained soooo slow compared to now) getting to that point, and always knew I wanted to forge weapons.

Picking up weaponsmithing was a no brainer, as it was core to my character, so I felt comfortable, knowing that more stuff was coming, and i could never change my mind, as picking up the hobby. Almost went career but decided that enchanting was going to be more of what i wanted, moving forward.

Why did you choose blacksmithing as a hobby, out of curiosity?

Re: Elemental Weapons 04/04/2015 01:50 AM CDT
Picked blacksmithing because there were already a bunch of people at the time into weaponsmithing or armorsmithing. Also because I enjoyed mining, wanted to repair tools quickly, and some of the crafted items were fun. Also when I was reading up on the crafting system at the time the general idea that I got was that anything magical related would be tied to the enchanting system so I made sure to leave one hobby open for that(remedies took the career for RP reasons).

As much as I enjoy blacksmithing if I knew at the time that there would actually be a WM system so heavily tied to weaponsmithing then there's absolutely no way that I would've chosen blacksmithing instead and that's the situation I'm stuck with here.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/04/2015 07:37 AM CDT
>My main problem has always been that I have 200+ ranks in forging and blacksmithing as a hobby because that was a choice based on what was available 2-3 years ago. Since there's been no response about possibly being able to switch that to weaponsmithing it feels less like a meaningful choice and more of a trap

No, the GMs insist that is good game design.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/04/2015 09:00 AM CDT
>> As much as I enjoy blacksmithing if I knew at the time that there would actually be a WM system so heavily tied to weaponsmithing then there's absolutely no way that I would've chosen blacksmithing instead and that's the situation I'm stuck with here.

How many melee + thrown weapons do you train?

The system isn't heavily tied to a weaponsmithing hobby or technique. It's heavily tied to weaponsmithing techniques. There's a difference. Unless you train all melee and thrown weapons, you can still get every applicable technique without a hobby or career. Even if you do, you could always carry a couple of forged weapons and use this system for the bulk of your weapons.

I have never chosen a career or hobby that I regret, I've been careful with them. I still think they should allow a one time change when all systems are released, but I don't think elemental weapons are the impetus for it.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/12/2015 10:25 PM CDT
All of the metaspells are off preview, now. Reinforced Infusions, Expansive Infusions, and Quick Infusions have been increased to two slots as discussed.

2HE was changed to require the Expert Bladed Weapon Design Technique, and now creates Marauder Blades and Periperiu Swords. 2HB changed from a Heavy Sledgehammer to a Vilks Kodur as the TURN template, so that the two weapons were not the same template. This is live everywhere.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Elemental Weapons 04/12/2015 11:49 PM CDT
Hurrah! Take my spell slots!

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Elemental Weapons 04/13/2015 01:15 AM CDT
<<All of the metaspells are off preview, now.

There's a weird line break and indentation when asking the guild leaders about the metaspells. Compare:

> ask gaut about quick inf spell
Gauthus says, "This spell was developed in conjunction with the ability to summon weapons by the Groveskeepers' researchers. By tapping into the inherent speed of the Elemental Plane of Air, a Warrior Mage can reshape their summoned weapons into faster than others.
__Before you can learn this spell, you must know Elementalism. It will also cost two spell slots. It cannot be targeted."

(Underscores shows double space indentation on a new line.)

> ask gaut about fire ball spell
Gauthus says, "The Fire Ball spell launches a ball of fire at a target which explodes on impact. On its way to its destination it may do lesser damage to enemies or friends that are near to you or your foe. And of course, once it explodes many of the decimated bits will seek out foes that have yet to feel its warmth. Before you can learn this spell, you must know one of Fire Shards or Elementalism. It will also cost two spell slots. It can be targeted."