Reflecting on Frost Scythe 03/28/2014 02:11 PM CDT
A different thread got me thinking about Frost Scythe and how I miss it, not just a nice disposable weapon but a TM spell as well. It had some of the best messaging I've seen on a TM spell when it hits.

Here is one I found from awhile back.

You gesture at Sepharus.
The mana you were holding contributes to the spell.
Sparkling crystals of ice appear and coalesce into a long hafted scythe of steel grey frost which flies through the air at him!
Tiny red and purple shafts appear within the black mist surrounding Sepharus and writhe in frenzy.
Your spell is weakened as it passes through the unholy miasma.
The air around Sepharus solidifies into a brilliant yellow glow, buckling and dimming with the force of the attack.
The scythe blade buries itself in his chest, the tip poking out of the other side of his body. Blood flows over the blade in half-frozen streams, falling to the ground with a crystalline chiming.
Sepharus is lightly stunned!
Roundtime: 1 second.
Re: Reflecting on Frost Scythe 03/28/2014 05:23 PM CDT
Frost Scythe really is/was a ellegantly-written spell.

If it's not coming back for us, maybe a critter could get it just so it's not wasted.

Or, heck, reskin it a little, christen it "Star Scythe" and give it to the Traders.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Reflecting on Frost Scythe 03/28/2014 09:01 PM CDT
I'm unsure what the plan is for elemental weapons beyond "Make them much cooler than they were", so far as I know Armifer is the one behind their planning. I expect part of it has to do with wanting them to actually do elemental damage and whatnot (Which wasn't really supported before but could be done now) but I could be wrong.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Reflecting on Frost Scythe 03/31/2014 12:04 PM CDT
I really like the direction moon blade has sorta went. I think its an idea that can be fleshed out a bit more. The part I am talking about, is where moon mages can put a spell into moonblade. I believe they can get up to three spells. I am sure this idea been floating around, but perhaps the weapons can be used to put a TM spell inside of them. It be sort of a chance on hit to activate, and the spell will probably have say a 30% damage reduction than normal cast, but perhaps like a 5-10% chance to hit. Perhaps if there several weapons, one of each spellbook, then only a tm spell of that spellbook can be stuck in there. Just a idea, that can be fleshed out, or maybe spawn eureka moments.
Re: Reflecting on Frost Scythe 03/31/2014 12:25 PM CDT
>>>> The part I am talking about, is where moon mages can put a spell into moon blade

I am fairly certain that this is currently not an active feature of the spell since 3.0 was released. IIRC there is a possibility it might be added as a meta-spell. Regardless, it is still a great idea to consider for war mage weapons.
Re: Reflecting on Frost Scythe 03/31/2014 12:26 PM CDT
Apparently it got turned off.
Re: Reflecting on Frost Scythe 03/31/2014 03:32 PM CDT
Correct. Both spell storage spells (Moonblade and the cleric one who's name I'm forgetting) went away with 3.0.

Conceptually we're fine with them existing, and if they come back in the case of Moonblade it will be as a metaspell called "Empower Moonblade" but there are some hurdles preventing it.

The first is that, mechanically, it's a lot harder to pull off in 3.0 since spell casting got more complicated under the hood with potency and integrity and whatnot. The second is more of a play issue where it was the thing you could do but it was never really THAT useful, certainly for the amount of mechanical hoops we jumped through to make it work. And it never did work with TM spells (Or spells that could be cast on others at all for that matter) which isn't to say it would be impossible to do so - it would just introduce another level of complexity and more layers of "Is this gameplayer we want?"

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Reflecting on Frost Scythe 03/31/2014 06:11 PM CDT
Do frostweavers still use frost scythe?
How about blue Kuldaez crystals still fire them off too?

Re: Reflecting on Frost Scythe 03/31/2014 06:31 PM CDT
>Correct. Both spell storage spells (Moonblade and the cleric one who's name I'm forgetting) went away with 3.0.

Abayent Orison (I think the A word was spelled differently, but that's the general concept)

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Reflecting on Frost Scythe 03/31/2014 06:39 PM CDT
Yeah, "Something I could never spell but was AO... I think..." was about as far as I got before punting it.

-Raesh