Rune Making and Scroll Scribing 04/20/2007 10:27 AM CDT
I'm crossposting this here because it's an Enchantment idea. The original message was post in Abilities, Skills, and Magic: Magic Suggestions.

I've posted a couple of mentions on this subject in other folders, I figured it was time I fleshed out the idea and posted it in the appropriate folder(s). I think that this could be a basic form of enchanting available to all magic using guilds. The scrolls and runes we find must be made by someone, all we have to do is figure out who it is so we can track them down and learn the process. Call the events team!

For runes, I'd suggest that gems from the treasure system, or possibly those gems that rock trolls drop that are a little odd in how they show up, could be used as a base. The creator then charges mana into the base to prepare it to receive the spell. I'd say it would have to take quite a bit of mana to prepare the base for a spell, with higher tier spells requiring more mana. After the base is ready to receive the spell, the mage prepares the spell. Instead of casting it, the mage focuses on the base.

Higher quality runes would be easier to use and/or have more charges. Quality would be determined by skill (obviously), the quality of the base, the number of times the base had to be charged (fewer being better), and how much the spell is prepared at (straight prep, not modified by harnessing) before being focused into the base. This should teach and be based off of mechanical lore, magical devices, primary magic, and harness ability.

For scrolls, obviously anything that you can write on could be used, though parchment or paper would probably be the best base since it is easiest to read. The process would be similar to creating runes. The creator charges the base with mana until it is ready to receive the spell. When the base is ready, the mage must ink the spell pattern and instructions onto the scroll. After this step, the mage must prepare the spell, and focus it into the prepared base.

Higher quality scrolls would be easier to use and/or require a lower attunement be maintained. Quality would be determined by skill, readability of the base, the number of times the base had to be charged (the fewer the better), and how much the spell is prepared at (straight prep, not modified by harnessing) before being focused into the base. This should teach and be based off of scholarship, teaching, magical devices, primary magic, and harness ability.

What, you ask, is the advantage to runes if scrolls can be made as well? Well, I'd say they'd be easier to make and thus cheaper. And, perhaps, the quality of the rune/scroll will also affect how likely it is that you blow your arms off, so runes would also be safer because they're easier to make.

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
I love shield blocking while stunned and prone with a leg missing. ~Ranger Hanryu

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
I love shield blocking while stunned and prone with a leg missing. ~Ranger Hanryu
Re: Rune Making and Scroll Scribing 04/20/2007 03:39 PM CDT
Sounds like a good idea to me. Anything that increases the flow of spell scrolls in the system is A.-OK in my book.

~The one who is obsessed with power.
__
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com - The Sounds of Time
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/bard_planner.xls - Personal Bard Planner