Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/22/2005 09:32 AM CDT
Just a hunch, but a floating weapon would be more in the realm of moon mages no?
No war mage spell or skill seems to manipulate non-elemental based items, but tkt does.
If anything we should have gotten something like moonblades, except with the elements.
a blade made of fire, wind, earth....power rings to summon forth captain planet.

Captain Planet just arrived

Planet says, "The power is yours"

Gauthos says, "Look...Planet...I don't think this is going to work for our guild."

Planet says, "What do you mean? I'm here to save the environment"

Gauthos says, "Hrm, well...I've talked it over with the grand council, and they don't believe your flamboyant libertarian propaganda speeches are indicative of the guild....not to mention those red spandex briefs..."

Planet exlaims, "And just what is wrong with these Environmentally sound Enviro-briefs?!"

Gauthos says, "C'mon buddy, do they really say "Warrior Mage?"

Planet says, "I did'nt see the dress code policy up on your "pink" arch there pal, plus they're edible, so that means less trash for elanthia"

Gauthos stammers

Gauthos exclaims "Bird Man!"

Planet blinks

Moments later Gauthos's familiar screeches from the sky and decapitates Planet. yummy.

Log taken from 45/29/3004

Sentai.
The O.G.
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/22/2005 09:51 AM CDT
Couple things, first the Crossing Guild leader is Gauthus. Second while there is not currently a spell that can manipulate something to float, as masters of the elements I don't think it would be far fetched to be able to manipulate the air currents to cause something to float

Strangeguard Prayermaster

You gesture at a sand sprite.
Its head soars through the air as its neck is entirely destroyed!
A sand sprite slowly falls to the ground, moaning in despair, shuddering in pain before taking her last breath.
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/22/2005 10:17 AM CDT
well theres air, sure.
and I suppose the room will be filled with water so it can lift up the sword?
Ok so the PC char gauthos and gauthus got me confused.
what else yu wanna troll?

Sentai.
The O.G.
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/22/2005 10:23 AM CDT
I don't understand why you're upset. Is it that unreasonable to think that we'd be able to lift a sword with air currents?

A sand sprite slowly falls to the ground, moaning in despair, shuddering in pain before taking her last breath.
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/22/2005 10:25 AM CDT
not upset, but I just don't see it happening with one solitary element

Sentai.
The O.G.
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/22/2005 01:08 PM CDT
>>not upset, but I just don't see it happening with one solitary element

Why not? Air is acually a fairly powerful element, after all.

PW is strong enough that it can knock a full-sized opponent around a room.

Shockwave is strong enough that it can be used to knock anything on the ground into another room.

When and if flying ever comes to DR, it is almost certain to be an air-based spell, and strong enough to pick up a fully dressed (armed and armored) Warrior Mage and carry him around the Realms.

I don't see where it wouldn't be possible for an Air book spell to have a very similar effect to TKT, in picking up some onject in the room on an air stream and blast it at your opponent.

Or have a water geyser do something similar, or use electricity to charge an object and its target with opposite charges, and cause them to jump together in a pseudo-magnetic fashion.

A variant of MAB that uses objects on the ground instead of creating balls of earth.

Besides, from the original descriptions given us, there is no reason that an enchantment would be limited to a single element, consider the elemental mixes in the descriptions...

As a matter of fact, I believe Valdrik explicitly mentioned the possibility of dancing weapons during the seminar.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/9xjyj
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/6tpls
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/22/2005 01:36 PM CDT
>>Shockwave is strong enough that it can be used to knock anything on the ground into another room.

Shockwave is actually powerful enough to know everything into another room

Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/22/2005 03:40 PM CDT
From what I saw, it made me think our enchantments wouldn't be limited to Elemental. Siphon will let us take components out of any spell we see cast. At least, that's how I interpreted it. I don't keep up with it very closely, so it might have changed, but that was the impression I had.

Battlecaster Opieus ~ Human Warrior Mage
(Petitioning for a last name system for the Elanthians of new)

<<You hear your mental voice echo, I hear voices in my head constantly.>>
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/22/2005 05:04 PM CDT
If you're looking for an air spell to justify levetating an item, use YS.

>[YS] creates a cushion of air between your body and the armor you are wearing. This cushion of air will flow with your movements, supporting the armor and allowing you to move more freely.

It's reasonable to assume that you would be able to use a derivation of the same spell matrix to create a cushion of air underneath or around a weapon to make it fly/float.

You see Hissy Hhsar N'Tel, Cry Baby of Zoluren, a S'kra Mur.

~Diggity!~
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/22/2005 05:25 PM CDT
In case there is still any question as to weather or not air can make items "levitate" or fly, there are these little things called tornados and hurricanes that manage to levitate buildings, cars, people and easily throw small slivers of wood through concrete. ;)

I think there is some power there to be harnessed. A sufficiently powerful and controlled column of air should have no problem supporting a weapon.

Yes, the spelling of weather was intentional. Appropriate for the conversation I thought.

Aentori.
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/22/2005 05:31 PM CDT
<<Siphon will let us take components out of any spell we see cast. At least, that's how I interpreted it.>>

Last update we got said a new 50th ability (Patern Sight) would let us see the make up of a spell and use parts of it to create a different effect. We just have to wait to see what components can be taken from all the different spells.

Rigek

I warned you! But nooo you said it was just a harmless little bunny rabbit!
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/22/2005 08:25 PM CDT
1. We already have spells that effect air currents, magnetism, and velocity. Pick one or a few and I suppose you can come up with a way to make it work.

2. From what I've heard our enchanting isn't limited to only warmage spells. I'f a moonie can do it, we can syphon the sigil out and use it in our enchantments.

3. I don't want a dancing sword.

4. I want a mystical creature as a familiar that can cast spells. If it will make you happier I'll request that it can dance and hold a sword at the same time. Sound fair?

~Arcath
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/23/2005 04:05 AM CDT
<<When and if flying ever comes to DR, it is almost certain to be an air-based spell, and strong enough to pick up a fully dressed (armed and armored) Warrior Mage and carry him around the Realms.

I remember reading a book series that had elemental mages and the air mages had a fly spell. Problem was, the zephyrs of air have little control over flesh (semiparaphrased) so to them a fly spell was a tornado. And no, it wasn't a safe trip usually.

Jaert Lumanie

"When you're trying to decide whether to play it safe or go for the gusto, ask
yourself this simple question: 'How long am I going to be dead?'"
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/23/2005 04:39 AM CDT
>>I remember reading a book series that had elemental mages and the air mages had a fly spell. Problem was, the zephyrs of air have little control over flesh (semiparaphrased) so to them a fly spell was a tornado. And no, it wasn't a safe trip usually.

As compared to my vision, which borrows more from Storm of the X-Men, since she is, IMO, an almost stereotypical "Elemental Wizard".

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/23/2005 04:56 AM CDT
>As compared to my vision, which borrows more from Storm of the X-Men, since she is, IMO, an almost stereotypical "Elemental Wizard".

I prefer Captain Planet. Can we have a Heart book? With like...Dark Heart of Incineration?

Steel.

OMG! YOU HAVE <insert ability here> YOU ARE OVERPOWERED! DIE, GUILD, DIE!
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/23/2005 01:35 PM CDT
When our powers combine... :)

On a more serious note, though, lets try to bring the discussion closer towards enchantment and further away from our favorite cartoon. We do have a whimsy folder, you know...

Thanks,

Wixs

With any further questions, feel free to contact me (Mod-Wixs@play.net), Senior Board Monitor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net), or Message Board Supervisor Cecco (DR-Cecco@play.net).
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/23/2005 01:57 PM CDT
>When our powers combine...

Wonder twin powers.... ACTIVATE!
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/23/2005 02:14 PM CDT
PW is strong enough that it can knock a full-sized opponent around a room. <--

It's a very useful spell, I actually one shot kill things with it quite often when messing around. Otherwise I use it to knock foes down and away while practicing knife throwing or archery.

Jim

"Men always want to be a woman's first love. Women have a more subtle instinct: What they like is to be a man's last romance. " Oscar Wilde
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/24/2005 01:14 AM CDT
Ya'll scare me.

-Chakram

"NVNC ID VIDES, NVNC NE VIDES"

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" - Mae West
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/24/2005 04:58 PM CDT
>Ya'll scare me

Oh yeah? Well so do our faces! Yeah!

You see Hissy Hhsar N'Tel, Cry Baby of Zoluren, a S'kra Mur.

~Diggity!~
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/24/2005 08:02 PM CDT
Now i could be wrong. BUt with enchanting as it comes out. we are learning to see the patterns a spell is made of. Not just warrior mage spells. but other guilds spells as well.

If we stole a rune from a tkt spell we could definitly cause it to float.

I"d rather rather steal a spell bonding rune and a tkt rune to cause a dagger to fly back to my hands once i toss it. but using it to make a sentient blade the floats and fights on its own. i'm all for that to.

"Come for me now world, whilst I am weak. I shall prevail. Come at me world before I am strong, then witness my strength." ~Ecodom
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 08/24/2005 08:17 PM CDT
<<Now i could be wrong. BUt with enchanting as it comes out. we are learning to see the patterns a spell is made of. Not just warrior mage spells. but other guilds spells as well.

That was the plan two years ago. Who knows what it will be like two years from now.

Trebber

Your mech lore ranks could care less if the paper is blue or plain.
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 09/07/2005 05:25 AM CDT
Touche

"Come for me now world, whilst I am weak. I shall prevail. Come at me world before I am strong, then witness my strength." ~Ecodom
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 11/15/2005 09:16 PM CST
Having the force to push something and the fine control of having it go where you want it are two very different things. We can all hurl a giant pike but not all of us can have it hit something.

To have enough force to blow a weapon away and concentrate the air currents so finely to have it go where you want it is so impossible that I'd find it hard to believe even in a fantasy setting. TKT on the otherhand is moving the object directly.
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 11/15/2005 09:18 PM CST
By finely i mean.. like having it dancing... the older posts are gone but I assume someone wanted to have fine control over a floating blade, and not just a weapon that flies in a straight line.
Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 11/15/2005 11:51 PM CST
>>By finely i mean.. like having it dancing... the older posts are gone but I assume someone wanted to have fine control over a floating blade, and not just a weapon that flies in a straight line.

There is a difference between just shoving something with a blast of air, and having the control to wrap the item in a cocoon of air for finer control of it, but both should be possible, IMO, for the "Masters of the Elements".

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Why weapons won't be floating on their own 12/22/2005 03:39 PM CST
>There is a difference between just shoving something with a blast of air, and having the control to wrap the item in a cocoon of air for finer control of it, but both should be possible, IMO, for the "Masters of the Elements".

"Master" depends on the perspective. Anyone IRL with a Master's degree is a master in their field of study, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the use of the word, it is used as intended. Compared to people who didn't go into that field, they ARE masters. Just because they're masters doesn't make them god super guru in the area, same thing with such fine control over air.