sentiant weaopns 04/04/2005 03:43 PM CDT
i had heard at a time that sentiant weapons might be possible.

I was just curious how this would work.

I was just thinking about it, and i thought it would be nice if the swords would attack on its own valition, We could pre set the attacks we want it to do, or simple tell it to perform attacks that would focus on doing lots of damage or keep your balance.

this would be very very useful expecially when/if off hand combat comes out to play.

The only other way i could really see them working would to actually float on their own and attack like similiar to familiars, will work on there own.

That could be cool for building up multi penilties using them and familiars against tougher monsters. and over whelming them for a change vs the other way around.

Any word on thoughts on all this?

"Its no so much that its black that important, but that it burns things good." ~Ecodom
Re: sentiant weaopns 04/04/2005 08:01 PM CDT
My grammer and spelling is horrible most the times so don't take this offensive but its actually spelled Sentient

there is already sentient weapons in the game very few though. Most common form of it is the paladin "Holy Weapon" quest. Its been along time and I forgot all the specifics the weapon does though, neat stuff. Its more of an intelligent weapon that reacts to its surroundings then a seperate entity.

I don't think it'd be a good idea to make sentient weapons enchantments though. Invoking a sword and having an explosion of fire pulse outwards from you, sure. But sentient weapons, naa. I'd rather see those as more rare unique items since they in most cases don't serve a great purpose.

All enchantments have uses and will eventually run out of power not neccessarily destroying the enchantment, but thats something to keep in mind

The shadows on the wall indeed ran long across the room during the late hours of the afternoon.
Re: sentiant weaopns 04/04/2005 09:28 PM CDT
They're already supposed to be 100+ circle just to have the random chance to accidentally make them, from what I hear. They won't be common by any means. I also believe that only the person who created will be able to use it. So don't worry that Warrior Mages will be pumping out uber sentient weapons of doom left and right and selling them for 100,000 plat each.

Opieus ~ Human Warrior Mage
(Petitioning for a last name system for the Elanthians of new)
Re: sentiant weaopns 04/05/2005 05:12 AM CDT
>>They won't be common by any means. I also believe that only the person who created will be able to use it. So don't worry that Warrior Mages will be pumping out uber sentient weapons of doom left and right and selling them for 100,000 plat each.<<

There goes my retirement plans.

Sabashtin..

[Rumet] "Aedem what was that I told you earlier?"
[Aedem] "That your mother misses me?"
Re: sentiant weaopns 04/05/2005 09:44 AM CDT
<<
there is already sentient weapons in the game very few though. Most common form of it is the paladin "Holy Weapon" quest. Its been along time and I forgot all the specifics the weapon does though, neat stuff. Its more of an intelligent weapon that reacts to its surroundings then a seperate entity.
>>

It reacts to attack upon a monster not to surroundings. Here is the actual list of both pros/cons it does. Granted, now with Godrich as Paladin dev, maybe this will finially be upgraded and rewritten to actually make it useful.

- Power limit: Every single attack (even if doesn't hit, ie: critter dodges) lowers its power
- Power Reaches 0 Holy Weapon is lost permanently
- Attacking a player shatters weapon (lost permanently)
- Examine weapon to see power it has left (shining, glowing, ect.)
- When attacking a monster it does a fluffy damage attack (sparks differe colors or calls out chadatru/justice)
- Adds extra damage to attacks (not much but something note: RW adds more damage then a HW does)
- Does not require a bless to hit undead
- Can not be touched by another player, or else they get a 30 second stun\
- Only 3 places that can recharge it
- Can only have one Holy weapon
- Once choosen you can not change your Holy Weapon

<<
I don't think it'd be a good idea to make sentient weapons enchantments though. Invoking a sword and having an explosion of fire pulse outwards from you, sure. But sentient weapons, naa. I'd rather see those as more rare unique items since they in most cases don't serve a great purpose.

All enchantments have uses and will eventually run out of power not neccessarily destroying the enchantment, but thats something to keep in mind
>>

Valdrik mentioned perma-enchants for the very high and very skilled WM's....So in this aspect enchanted weapons will far outdo the 'sentient' type weapons on many levels. You can have more then one and can replace them easier. You can also have your choose between 'passive' enchants or 'active' enchants. Difference is a passive will automatically do the thing without you needing to invoke it or anything(barb friendly), where as the active will requrie you to do something particular and in a magical sense to active it(not barb friendly).
Re: sentiant weaopns 04/05/2005 10:16 PM CDT
Thanks for the Info on Holy Weapons DrLight all my paladin friends left me to fend for myself in that department so I had noone to bug about <g>

Intersting stuff.

The shadows on the wall indeed ran long across the room during the late hours of the afternoon.
Re: sentiant weaopns 04/05/2005 10:17 PM CDT
Hopefully they could spell.

'Slimy Yet Satisfying' - Miko Mido

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: sentiant weaopns 04/11/2005 04:17 PM CDT
Speaking of weapon enchants... does anyone remember what place this was on Valdrik's to do list? I thought he made it explicit somewhere, like 1=spell review, 2=familars, 3=enchants, something like that...
A forgetful...Sephos
Re: sentiant weaopns 04/11/2005 05:07 PM CDT
Once we finish up the spell review (nearly there), there'll be a round of bug fixing just to clear that up (get some things fixed before we start on something new), then comes weapon enchanting and familiars (probably concurrently, so Valdrik doesn't get burned out working on one thing).

-Chakram

"NVNC ID VIDES, NVNC NE VIDES"
Re: sentiant weaopns 04/12/2005 01:41 AM CDT
Well i guess that post was kind of important... But always do appreciate the updates Chakram.

Val if you need help just ask. we don't want ya burned out.

"Its no so much that its black that important, but that it burns things good." ~Ecodom