More Possibilities for Mend 03/30/2005 10:35 PM CST
As nice as it would be for Mend to repair all magical devices, I definitely see where the Moon Mages are coming from in regards to Celestial Jewlery. My guess is we probably won't be mending Cleric enchants or those magical masks and flowers the Empaths can recharge either, which I think is fair since I wouldn't want any non-Warrior Mages messing with our enchantments. The problem is that this leaves an increasingly narrow field of items for Mend to work with, so how about suggestions for other possible effects for Mend?

I know that the first thing that came to my mind was the familiar system. Currently, I believe it is in limbo whether familiars will be Empath-healable since they're elemental entities. Instead of having them healed via Empath, how about forcing them to leave and enter the Elemental planes to rest and heal up on their own, with the damage they have accumulated showing up on the talisman and healing over time. Using the mend spell on the talisman can heal or speed up the healing process of the familiar.

Another possibility would be to have it "mend" and reinforce the spell patterns around a Warrior Mage, increasing the duration of all spells on her. Basically just an effect to make staying spelled up easier.

I'm sure there are probably a ton of other possibilities to make the spell more than a dedicated enchanting spell, so let's hear some more suggestions while the spell is still on the table. :)

-Aurica
Re: More Possibilities for Mend 03/30/2005 11:58 PM CST
An illustrative example: ;)

>look talisman
The masterfully sculpted rhodonite wyvern talisman is in terrible condition.
The rhodonite wyvern has a head that has been reduced to powder, a slightly chipped right arm, a cracked left leg, a missing tail, unsightly notches to the left wing and a heavily cracked right wing.

>summon
You send your thoughts skimming across the void between the planes into the Region of Fire, attempting to call your familiar to the Plane of Abiding.
You sense your familiar fail to answer your summons because its form on this plane is too damaged.

>prepare mend 30
Tiny tendrils of lightning jolt between your hands as you prepare the Mend spell.

>cast talisman
Reticulating tendrils of aether suffuse the talisman with a gentle glow before flashing suddenly in a blinding white glare. When you are able to see again you notice that the talisman has been significantly repaired.

>look talisman
The masterfully sculpted ilmenite wyvern talisman is in relatively good condition.
The ilmenite wyvern has a slightly chipped head.

>summon
The earth shudders ominously for a moment before suddenly splitting asunder! The gaping wounds in the earth begin to spout forth jets of molten rock which slowly coalesce into the form of a gargantuan fire wyvern!

>describe wyvern
>The wyvern appears to be formed of a great mass of molten rock. Cracks in the slightly cooled rock that forms its skin glow with its internal warmth like a vast network of glowing veins. The twin pools of magma that form the eyes stare back at you with a nature which hints at a vast intelligence, causing you to be certain that this is a Warrior Mage's familiar.

>look wyvern
The wyvern is in good shape.
It has deep cuts across its head.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!

-Auri

PS. Please?
Re: More Possibilities for Mend 03/31/2005 03:56 AM CST
Some good possibilities in there. I'll pass it along to Valdrik, maybe he'll have some input into it as well.

-Chakram - insert witty remarks here.
Re: More Possibilities for Mend 03/31/2005 12:24 PM CST
....Wow... That is an awesome idea! I really hope something like this comes about.

Warrior Mage Newtrini Pi'Gui

-Don't spawn your score of mortal progeny in MY footsteps!
Re: More Possibilities for Mend 03/31/2005 01:14 PM CST
Those where really good ideas, prolly a smaller effect of healing but still some minor healing on familiars would be a direct cast of mend.

Also there are charms and special wear items, i'm assuming these will all be able to be mended back into use? I have a hairpin that allows me to hide better that has recently worn out of charges. These will all be rechargeable correct?

I"ve also stowed a few of those broken runes from box traps, and them bent wands from i think it was galains party, are these gonna be repairable. A broken rune rod or bent wand are all magical devices that need repairing correct?

would be neat to pull out one of them mana zapping runes from box traps fix umm up and toss them at say, a moon mage (or some spell casting critter i guess) and zap their mana from them, ofcourse this would be LT untill some magical form of delivery system for napthpa and the like can be decided apon.

I did always like the idea of picking up a rock drawing a simple fire sigil onto it, mend it up and throwing it at some critter watching it explode in fire and fragments burning and ripping them to shreds... Please Val please.... think of the children! No seriously, it would be a simple easy one time enchant that the less skilled would have an easier time doing for practice on their way to greatness!

"Its no so much that its black that important, but that it burns things good." ~Ecodom
Re: More Possibilities for Mend 03/31/2005 09:31 PM CST
>>As nice as it would be for Mend to repair all magical devices, I definitely see where the Moon Mages are coming from in regards to Celestial Jewlery. My guess is we probably won't be mending Cleric enchants or those magical masks and flowers the Empaths can recharge either, which I think is fair since I wouldn't want any non-Warrior Mages messing with our enchantments. The problem is that this leaves an increasingly narrow field of items for Mend to work with, so how about suggestions for other possible effects for Mend?

I can see no harm with Mend repairing non-elemental magical devices such as runes and wands. Infact I would prefer it if it DID since theres no current way to recharge them. Some rare quest wand-like devices would be nice to be recharged like my TV staff but theres no way to do it currently so it kinda sits over my shoulder with broken lines.

However, repairing enchantments I don't think should ever come into play since alot of the times the uses are part of their downside such as CJ, or you'd be stepping on too many toes and hampering markets such as gweths.

Just thought I'd say that, either then that this is actually a good idea, but don't count on that pet wyvern anytime soon :p

try to remember though being a spell that is geared for enchanting its not going to have many functional uses outside of that as most spells dedicated to enchanting are almost useless outside of that.
Re: More Possibilities for Mend 04/01/2005 06:12 AM CST
Familiar healing -- innerestin!

~V

<--- Warrior Mage Haiku --->
My pants are aflame
I did not learn water spells
so now I must ARGGHHHH

http://www.livejournal.com/users/valdrik/

http://www.naebunny.com/TopFrameSet.htm
Re: More Possibilities for Mend 04/03/2005 09:04 PM CDT
<<Familiar healing -- innerestin!>>

Let me see if i have this correct.. if familiars need to be healed then that of course means they can take damage. Then it would make sense that they can fight back? Then the next question of course, would be does it apply to all or just some familiars?

I know this is a bit off subject for this part of the boards, but it was brought up here so I figured respond here.

"We are the destroyers, yet we are also the peacekeepers. We face any threat with both sword and spell, and the enemies of the people know this and cower in fear." - guild leader Karazhil
Re: More Possibilities for Mend 04/04/2005 01:39 AM CDT
>>Let me see if i have this correct.. if familiars need to be healed then that of course means they can take damage. Then it would make sense that they can fight back? Then the next question of course, would be does it apply to all or just some familiars?

Last public version of the familiar system update that I know of was the Warrior Mage seminar at SimuCon 2004. According to my notes from that meeting, there will be two Dark level (20th circle) familiars (the special, quest-only next level of familiars preview familiars) who will be combat-capable, and then Fir familiar (which should be 35th circle by then, with the new 50th circle magic-using familiars available) on up will be fully combat-capable.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/4btcl
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/6tpls
Re: More Possibilities for Mend 04/04/2005 08:33 AM CDT
<<with the new 50th circle magic-using familiars available) on up will be fully combat-capable.>>

<drools> ok, now this I will love to see!

"We are the destroyers, yet we are also the peacekeepers. We face any threat with both sword and spell, and the enemies of the people know this and cower in fear." - guild leader Karazhil
Re: More Possibilities for Mend 04/24/2005 06:35 PM CDT
This was my idea on why I would like to see mend be able to work with any magic device for repairing broken lines of mana.

If the device's lines are broken it dosn't necesarily mean that we are re-manipulating the device back to its orriginal lines of mana. What if the device had been made in Shard and it is now being repaired in Ratha? Should it be right to assume we can take this crafted device and pick out the very same mana lines it was infused with in creation?

I do not believe that is possible. But, we could pottentially be able to splice in new mana lines to fill the gap. Their strength and ability to meld would depend upon both skill and perhaps power perception. Young mage's could not have the skill to see blinding mana streams to patch in.

A built in balance, this could make a device lose charges that it otherwise may have had more of due to a lower power or different power source than its orriginal form had.

Lastly, on a side note. I hope that we will also be able to make sigilated platinum rings with significant skill. They are the epitomy of elemental control to be able to make a pocket within another elemental plane. Perhaps also with increased skill be able to get more neat looking entrances for our items.

For an idea of a neat entrance of a bastard sword I give the following examble;

You touch your ring and feel compelled to lower your hand to the earth as you kneel, the ground slowly ripples like water before you draw your bastard sword from the ground and hold it as you stand back up.

You grin as you touch your ring before kneeling down to the ground to touch the earth, watching as the ground briefly ripples from your touch you then finally push your bastard sword into the ground to be retrieved when needed.
Re: More Possibilities for Mend 04/24/2005 08:19 PM CDT
<<I hope that we will also be able to make sigilated platinum rings with significant skill>>

It would be awesome if we could make other storage that possibly didn't go to your hand... Say you're wearing a shirt and you touch it and pop you're wearing armor. Probably wouldn't happen though. :(

Incanter Opieus ~ Human Warrior Mage
(Petitioning for a last name system for the Elanthians of new)

<<You hear your mental voice echo, I hear voices in my head constantly.>>
Re: More Possibilities for Mend 04/27/2005 06:05 AM CDT
As cool as that does sound. I think that magical containers of the like will not be coming out any time soon. The rings them selves are a bit to widely spread and its one of those things they want to keep as rare items that only a few have. If everything is magical then everything becomes mundane, and then what would we have to look forward to?

"Come for me now world, whilst I am weak. I shall prevail. Come at me world before I am strong, then witness my strength." ~Ecodom