Enchantment and Other Schools--My ideas 03/06/2005 01:09 PM CST
I was talking to Halfgrim today, my mind full of ideas (course need to be more organized heh), and he bought it to my attention to add some of my ideas to the forum.
I then proceeded to look up this whole forum page and I cringed--where the heck am I going to put some ideas into action here?
So without further ado, I figure what the heck put it here, minus some snickers of others heh.

1.)Blackfire is a good idea--please keep that up. We Warrior Mages should have this spell idea, just think back to beginning of Warrior Mage history.
2.)There is a chance we may have Weapon Enchantment as well as Weapon Mend (excuse me if I quote incorrectly).
A.)Weapon Enchantment: We should of had a long time ago, I mean, hey
Warrior Mages don't have a real 'profession' (Example: Rangers make
longbows, shortbows, arrows, arrowheads, leathers, etc...). I feel
Weapon Enchantment should be elemental magics, at certain circles
fire, water, earth, electricity added permantantly to a weapon so
each swing of that blade (or other weapons like your arrows and
bolts) does a much better hit.
B.)Weapon Mend: A Barbarian can grind a weapon to balance and so forth
and to my chargrin, Warrior Mages can't grind (snort). So we can play
with forging but can't finish a product, therefore, we should be able
to repair weapons, utilizing a new 'profession' (I know DR calls
guilds, 'professions'). We have no professions! Must I say more?
3.)Ship building/repair: A VERY BIG IDEA of mine, after numerous role playing games I have been in for 4 years (ha). I LOVE to be able to build and repair a ship--why not?! If you can spend thousands of plats (for those fortunate to cough up the plats)on a ship, have pirate infestations--why, the thought came to my mind that one day, we could have ship wars against others ship and pirates.
Now my old friend, DG (cough) used to brag how well (sorry have to say this DG hee hee)he can hop on a ship, sink the pirate invader's ship, hop back on his ship and repair the sail with thread and a bodkin--woot woot! Well, I always did (old skin WM) bring with me those two items, never had a real chance to mend a sail (pout).
So I would figure to have Warrior Mages (plus anyone, actually) have a fair chance of (at first) set fees to repair and build (smaller vessels)ships. Then I can earn my own ship (drool).

Just my thoughts, and many more but I condensed this for now heh.
I know the latter thoughts could be placed somewheres else, but best to just put it here (smile).

Safe paths with good hunting,
Glortauron, Elven Warrior Mage.
Re: Enchantment and Other Schools--My ideas 03/06/2005 01:15 PM CST
<<Warrior Mages can't grind >>

Anyone can grind, just takes more skill.

Sslad
Re: Enchantment and Other Schools--My ideas 03/06/2005 01:21 PM CST
<<
(Example: Rangers make
longbows, shortbows, arrows, arrowheads, leathers, etc...).

A Barbarian can grind a weapon to balance and so forth
and to my chargrin, Warrior Mages can't grind (snort). So we can play
with forging but can't finish a product, therefore, we should be able
to repair weapons, utilizing a new 'profession' (I know DR calls
guilds, 'professions'). We have no professions! Must I say more?
>>

ALL CREATION SYSTEMS are changing from guild derived to Career System orientated. These examples will not hold true for much longer. In addition, grinding/fitting is buggy in its current form. Fitting does absolutely nothing for what it's worth, and grinding does everything. Two sides of an extreme for the flaw in the forging system.

<<
3.)Ship building/repair: A VERY BIG IDEA of mine, after numerous role playing games I have been in for 4 years (ha). I LOVE to be able to build and repair a ship--why not?! If you can spend thousands of plats (for those fortunate to cough up the plats)on a ship, have pirate infestations--why, the thought came to my mind that one day, we could have ship wars against others ship and pirates.
>>

Again, this will be career system: Woodsmen/sailor

<<
So I would figure to have Warrior Mages (plus anyone, actually) have a fair chance of (at first) set fees to repair and build (smaller vessels)ships. Then I can earn my own ship (drool).
>>

Again this will be career system: Thatcher/Tailor/sailor

I think you should really take a look over in the DR2->career folder and read the list the GM's posted for careers. People will be able to build thier own ships over time, as well as, repair ships, repair mundane objects, do home improvements, furniture creation and other assorted things. There will be Gem Cutters who can create purty jewelery for people, there will be people who specifically can design weapon hilts that a smith could place on a weapon. Forging is specifically being broken down into Armor Smith, Weapon Smith, Smelter, and Smith. Each will have it's own career path and availibilities. Each guild may have bonuses towards a career, but all the creation systems will be opened to everyone, and allow everyone to be equal if they work hard enough at it.
Re: Enchantment and Other Schools--My ideas 03/06/2005 01:37 PM CST
<<There is a chance we may have Weapon Enchantment as well as Weapon Mend

With this statement I kind of got the impression your thinking they are two different "systems". I certainly don't know everything about the new weapon enchanting, but what I have read is that Mend is a spell that is required to enchant. It was supposed to repair a weapon if it was damaged during the enchant process but if i'm correct it didnt go well with the higher up's, and now it will be used to repair/charge magical items. So im pretty sure that without the Mend spell you will not be able to enchant. Even though the spell won't be able to repair damages, i'm sure there will be a "joint" system between barbs and wm's (barbs make/repair weapon, wm enchants) that surely will bring alot of coin to wm's able to enchant.

<<Now my old friend, DG (cough) used to brag how well (sorry have to say this DG hee hee)he can hop on a ship, sink the pirate invader's ship, hop back on his ship and repair the sail with thread and a bodkin--woot woot! Well, I always did (old skin WM) bring with me those two items, never had a real chance to mend a sail (pout).

Again, correct me if im wrong, but your thinking of Mend as a "repair" spell, unfortunantly you wont be able to mend a sail. Even if the spell didnt get tweaked to only work on magical items, I believe it would have been limited to weapons. Again im not the all knowing on enchanting so if someone else knows more about it please correct me. I hope I was able to clear up some things.
Re: Enchantment and Other Schools--My ideas 03/06/2005 01:43 PM CST
Thank you very much, DRLIGHT for bringing to my attention everything concerning these topic matters.
I am rather new (again) with DR forums (blush) and it would take me long hours of reading just to place each idea of mine in correct spot, as well as find the correct page to see if anyone else had around the same ideas.
And lastly, pointing me in the right direction, to look under the DR2->career folder and read the list the GM's posted for careers. Will do.
This was my second attempt to post ideas--other one was for candle ideas--gotta love those mechs! heh.

"Variety is the spice of life, so never miss a golden opportunity."
Re: Enchantment and Other Schools--My ideas 03/06/2005 01:51 PM CST
Thank you, RIDINGSJ1.
No, Enchantments--mending a weapon is totally different idea (for a spell), but mending a sail would be more like tailoring/profession.I will be now reading DR2-Career folder, once I find it heh.
I apologize if my ideas appears jumbled up, but only wanted to state ideas of mine I've been thinking about for some time (even old skin WM).
As I stated before this is rather a beginning attempt at forums posting.

"Variety is the spice of life, so never miss a golden opportunity."
Re: Enchantment and Other Schools--My ideas 03/06/2005 02:55 PM CST
<<
COOKK14
>>

Welcome to DR! :) Don't feel discouraged on posting, all ideas are good ideas. If it's something that already has been discussed or planned to change others will be more then glad to point you in the right direction of where those conversations were located. I know it's hard but there is a folder for just about everything, will take abit of looking. To make things easy I suggest under 'options' button on the top of the web page choose 'collapsed view' under the Default Message View. By choosing this option it'll have the forums show titles only. To view the message you just click on the title and it'll expand it. This makes for easier navigating when seraring directly for GM posts only, or if you wanna skip a thread entirely.
Re: Enchantment and Other Schools--My ideas 03/06/2005 08:45 PM CST
>>2.)There is a chance we may have Weapon Enchantment as well as Weapon Mend (excuse me if I quote incorrectly).

Weapon Enchanting for Warrior Mages has been proposed and approved for development. Once Valdrik finishes the current spell review, gets all the TM spells onto the new TM setup, and then stomps some bugs, he will actively start working on the Enchanting system again.

If you go to my web site, I have my notes from the Weapon Enchanting seminar held at last year's SimuCOn posted, which goes into more details. You can also find me in-game to ask questions, as I bvelieve both our characters are currently out in the Ratha/Aesry area.

Mend is required as part of Warrior Mage enchanting as the final step in preparing the enchanted weapon. As part of the process, we will be required to etch the weapon (presumably with acid) to incorporate the magical symbols that carry the enchantments. This process will also turn the weapon into something that can be affected by the Mend spell.

The enchanting process for Warrior Mages will also require the use of the Syphon spell, which allows us to learn the various sigils and runes that will be used to etch the weapon with the effect.

Weapons will need to be enchanted with both one (or more) type of elemental power, and a magical form for how the power will be expressed, so, as an example, a weapon enchanted with fire as the power source, and the format from a ranged spell would wind up being able to generate fiery projectiles in addition to its normal melee attack.

Similarly, mixing say earth power with a web-like effect might cause the activated enchantment to encase your opponent in mud or sink into something like quicksand, while aether as the power source might be more web-like in appearance....

From what we have heard of the proposal, and knowing about things like the global caps, the better the base weapon, the harder it would be to enhance its ability to cause damage, but adding other effects, like making it glow in the dark as an alternative light source in dark rooms, would be easier to accomplish.

Then again, the better the construction of the weapon, the harder it will be to etch, too...

And somewhere in the future is the concept of enchanting Sentient Weapons, which is not yet defined enough in my mind to do more then "ooo" over the idea.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/4btcl
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/6tpls