Weapon skills 12/21/2004 09:31 PM CST
I went back and scanned the past posts. I see a few posts from players but no comment from a GM on if weapon skills will factor in weapon enchanting. Even if weapon skills will not be factored in when trying to enchant an item, I seem comments that we will have better success/more powerful enchantments to weapons that we create ourselves. If this is true, or even a posibility that you are looking at, could you give us an official post? Even if weapon creation is outside of the realms of the guru's of this guild, if it could be a factor in one of the steps of one of our systems it would be prudent of us to follow the discusions of what may become of that system as well.

I realize that weapon enchanting is still a long way off, but I'm wondering if my time waiting for it to be released would be better suited in feeding a paper folding addiction or wildly flailing at ship rats with weapons I've rarely used before.
Re: Weapon skills 12/21/2004 09:43 PM CST
>>I went back and scanned the past posts. I see a few posts from players but no comment from a GM on if weapon skills will factor in weapon enchanting.

IIRC, Valdrik mentioned back at SimuCon that weapon skill would have, at most, a lesser effect than the real enchanting skills.

>>Even if weapon skills will not be factored in when trying to enchant an item, I seem comments that we will have better success/more powerful enchantments to weapons that we create ourselves. If this is true, or even a posibility that you are looking at, could you give us an official post? Even if weapon creation is outside of the realms of the guru's of this guild, if it could be a factor in one of the steps of one of our systems it would be prudent of us to follow the discusions of what may become of that system as well.

Actually, one of the things Valdrik mentioned at SimuCon was that the closer a weapon is to the global cap for that weapon type, the harder it would be to enchant with a combat benefitting enchantment. This would not, of course, affect adding non-combat-affecting enchantments to the same weapon, other than the strength of the weapon affecting how easy it would be to etch it.

So, it would be difficult, if not impossible, to add a damage enhancement (as an example) to a capped (for combat effectiveness, not minimum weight) claymore; but it would be easier (weapon strength vs whatever skill etching is based off of allowing) to add an enchantment that would let it glow like a torch (letting you handle a dark room without needing a torch/light/MoF/etc.)

Hope that makes sense.

>>I realize that weapon enchanting is still a long way off, but I'm wondering if my time waiting for it to be released would be better suited in feeding a paper folding addiction or wildly flailing at ship rats with weapons I've rarely used before.

IMO, paper folding would be of more use; although working MD might be the better idea. At least until the Elemental Arcana lore comes into existence...

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Kynevon's DR Links Page: http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE: http://www.play.net/software/warlock-info.asp
Amagaim's What to Hunt list: http://kynevon.info/What2Hunt.xls
"We're not lost. We're just geographically confused." Brian, KoDT
Re: Weapon skills 12/22/2004 04:36 AM CST
<<IIRC, Valdrik mentioned back at SimuCon that weapon skill would have, at most, a lesser effect than the real enchanting skills.>>

Correct. At most it will have a minor effect on weapon enchanting if it is included at all.

-Chakram

"With talons wrought of steel I tore the heart of doom, and in one gleaming moment I saw beyond the tomb."

- Kansas

"Here we belong, fighting to survive,
in a war with the darkest power."

- Queen
Re: Weapon skills 12/23/2004 06:33 PM CST
>I seem comments that we will have better success/more powerful enchantments to weapons that we create ourselves. If this is true, or even a posibility that you are looking at, could you give us an official post?
>The Great Arcath

Post #864 in this folder. Made fairly recently. 11/21/2004.
*BEGIN COPY OF POST*
<<Personally I still very much look forward to Valdrik's ideas on sentient weapons, ones that grow with the user and are only able to be used by the creator thus making them able to be more powerful than the enchantments useable by anyone or any guild. That's what I look forward to the most out of the system. Hopefully he still has plans to do that at some point.>>

Most definitely :).

~V
*END COPY OF POST*

Player of Tessaa
Re: Weapon skills 12/24/2004 03:44 AM CST
<<Tessaa's post>>

Okay, take two here: Unless I'm misunderstanding things I think Arcath was referring to weapons forged by the players themselves rather than the enchantments. Valdrik was referring to certain enchantments which will work better for the person who created the enchantments. But I could be misinterpreting yet again.

-Chakram, the incoherent

"With talons wrought of steel I tore the heart of doom, and in one gleaming moment I saw beyond the tomb."

- Kansas

"Here we belong, fighting to survive,
in a war with the darkest power."

- Queen
Re: Weapon skills 12/24/2004 10:04 AM CST
>>Okay, take two here: Unless I'm misunderstanding things I think Arcath was referring to weapons forged by the players themselves rather than the enchantments. Valdrik was referring to certain enchantments which will work better for the person who created the enchantments. But I could be misinterpreting yet again.

Yes, sort of.

I read the posts and I see the general concusses of the players is that weapon skill will have little to do with weapon enchanting. And while I do see some GM references, I have to say I personally don't totally buy it, and my post was meant more as a 'heads up' that people might want to consider working on weapon skills in the time before enchanting is released.

Here is the situation as I understand it:

Part 1 - the actual act of enchanting any weapon (or item). Completely in Valdrik's realm, it sounds like actual weapon skill will have little to no part in this, mostly MD and the new lore skill.

Part 2 - enchanting bonus to weapons we create - IF this is something that will probably happen, and it sounds like it is, then people who are interested in this aspect of our enchanting system might want to read the posts on weapon creation and even post their opinion while the process is still being hashed out. If an enchantment is release to make a bow that when drawn magically creates a flame arrow, the enchantment is to the bow. If the enchantment can be created more powerful on bows that we create, and the bow creation process ends up with a healthy amount of bow skills needed in the process, those that forgo any weapon training except the 3 that they have to have may get left out. Granted it sounds like all creation systems are going to rely predominately on lore skills but it still being worked out and something that could end up being a crucial step in our enchanting system.

Now I understand that enchantments most likely won?t make a weapon sharper or effect the actual weapon but more likely could have a built in Frost Bite effect when invoked, so it wouldn?t really matter if it was a (poor/poor/poor dismal/dismal) skinning knife, the enchantments power has nothing to do with the stats so in that case if `the bonus to weapons we create? doesn?t reflect the quality of the weapon, only that fact that we created it then the only skill that is really needed is the bare minimum to successfully create the weapon.

I did read the post on sentient weapons, which honestly didn?t really clarify much for me but added to my questions and was the reason I made my original post. If the rare sentient weapons can only be used by their creator (or created only by warmages but usuable by any other warmage?) and can only be created from weapons that we ourselves can create, then how much use is the super cool sentient broadsword going to be to me if it?s 82 stones and poor slice?
Re: Weapon skills 12/24/2004 11:27 AM CST
>>Part 2 - enchanting bonus to weapons we create - IF this is something that will probably happen, and it sounds like it is, then people who are interested in this aspect of our enchanting system might want to read the posts on weapon creation and even post their opinion while the process is still being hashed out. If an enchantment is release to make a bow that when drawn magically creates a flame arrow, the enchantment is to the bow. If the enchantment can be created more powerful on bows that we create, and the bow creation process ends up with a healthy amount of bow skills needed in the process, those that forgo any weapon training except the 3 that they have to have may get left out. Granted it sounds like all creation systems are going to rely predominately on lore skills but it still being worked out and something that could end up being a crucial step in our enchanting system.

This, as far as I can recall past posts, is basically something you came up with from your own imagination.

Combat enhancement enchantments for weapons will be harder to put into better weapons, and will be limited by the global caps for the weapon type. If a weapon of type X has a maximum in its settings of a/b/c/f/g, then no combat enhancement enchantment will ever be able to give that weapon settings of a+1 or b+1 or c+1 or f+1 or g+1.

Non-combat enchantments, like allowing a weapon to glow or do a non-standard ranged attack (a la FS), would have their own cap that limits them, but would also have an added difficulty factor based on the weapon's construction status, the better the construction the harder it would be to enchant (etch) in general but the easier (in survivability to being etched) to have it survive the enchanting process.

>>Now I understand that enchantments most likely won't make a weapon sharper or effect the actual weapon but more likely could have a built in Frost Bite effect when invoked, so it wouldn't really matter if it was a (poor/poor/poor dismal/dismal) skinning knife, the enchantments power has nothing to do with the stats so in that case if "the bonus to weapons we create" doesn't reflect the quality of the weapon, only that fact that we created it then the only skill that is really needed is the bare minimum to successfully create the weapon.

Huh? What "bonus to weapons we create"? An enchantment's power is purely based on the enchanter's skill in the skills needed to learn the runes and sigils, and the skill needed to add the enchantment to the weapon. Weaker construction weapons will be easier to enchant, but be harder to not accidentally destroy during the etching process.

>>I did read the post on sentient weapons, which honestly didn't really clarify much for me but added to my questions and was the reason I made my original post. If the rare sentient weapons can only be used by their creator (or created only by warmages but usuable by any other warmage?) and can only be created from weapons that we ourselves can create, then how much use is the super cool sentient broadsword going to be to me if it's 82 stones and poor slice?

Where did you get the idea that a sentient weapon had to be made from a weapon we had forged ourselves? A sentient weapon would be a product of a higher (if mot massively) skilled enchanting Warrior Mage. I would suspect that it would require a significant quest to learn how to perform, and probably a quest performed during the actual enchantment process of making one, but the only mention of enchanting our own forged weapons had nothing to do with the subject of sentient weapon enchanting.

Then again, I don't recall that the enchanter-only limitation necessarily applied specifically (or only) to sentient weapons.

I would suspect that the enchanter him- (or her-) self would have a bonus when dealing with said sentient weapon's foibles, but it might be possible (if he or she was really lucky) that a newly rolled commoner might be able to get a sentient weapon to perform for them.

Again, certain enchantments we will be able to put on weapons will only be able to be used by MUs, while others (or maybe just a different way of enchanting the same effect) would be usable by anyone. And, of course, there should be some enchantments that should only be usable by either the enchanter alone, or only WMs in general.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Kynevon's DR Links Page: http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE: http://www.play.net/software/warlock-info.asp
Amagaim's What to Hunt list: http://kynevon.info/What2Hunt.xls
"We're not lost. We're just geographically confused." Brian, KoDT