weapons skills in enchanting 11/14/2004 02:15 PM CST
I can't remember where I saw it right off, but .... someone mentioned the idea of enchanting weapons being based on weaons skills. Ie. needing to know LE skill to enchant a Katar, ME skill for a cutlass, and MB skill to imbue a mace.... wait a minute..... how many of us really train any blunt weapons?

Light Blunt: 20 36% thoughtful Medium Blunt: 39 95% perplexing
Large Blunt: 15 06% learning Twohanded Blunt: 64 79% clear

The idea is great, but how practical? Or would/could it be set up for dealing with an average on the ..... general skillset, (edged, blunt, pole/pike) kinda like forging is.... or have a formula set up for um, needing at least 100 in a weapon set (edge blunt pike/pole etc) avging 25 ranks per weapon in the set, or maybe avging 50 or 100 per set.... it's not supposed to be 'easy' but, then again, we're not weapon primary either, don't want to make it nearly impossible to get everyone who wants a weapon enchanted to get their weapon enchanted..... right? Riiiiight.

Have good adventures all.

and always.
Have FUN!
Yan
Re: weapons skills in enchanting 11/14/2004 03:48 PM CST
i like to train blunt cus its fun to squish things..

Light Blunt: 35 72% clear Medium Blunt: 70 50% clear
Large Blunt: 165 09% clear Twohanded Blunt: 72 97% pondering

Rehlyn

The strongbox just bounced out of the room near a low tunnel!
A giant skeletal claw rises rapidly from the mire, lurching outward to grasp at you! You dodge lithely aside!
Re: weapons skills in enchanting 11/14/2004 04:45 PM CST
<<The idea is great, but how practical? Or would/could it be set up for dealing with an average on the ..... general skillset, (edged, blunt, pole/pike) kinda like forging is.... or have a formula set up for um, needing at least 100 in a weapon set (edge blunt pike/pole etc) avging 25 ranks per weapon in the set, or maybe avging 50 or 100 per set.... it's not supposed to be 'easy' but, then again, we're not weapon primary either, don't want to make it nearly impossible to get everyone who wants a weapon enchanted to get their weapon enchanted..... right? Riiiiight.

This is not forging but instead a magical process.

Magic and enchanting lore will be used.

Trebber
Re: weapons skills in enchanting 11/14/2004 05:36 PM CST
>>Magic and enchanting lore will be used.

MD, Elemental Arcana (new Lore skill), possibly some PM.

Also will require two new spells, Mend (in QC, last we heard), and the soon-to-be-renamed Siphon (no recent status update on this one).

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Kynevon's DR Links Page: http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE: http://www.play.net/software/warlock-info.asp
Amagaim's What to Hunt list: http://kynevon.info/What2Hunt.xls
"We're not lost. We're just geographically confused." Brian, KoDT
Re: weapons skills in enchanting 11/14/2004 07:06 PM CST
>This is not forging but instead a magical process.
>Magic and enchanting lore will be used.

Forging and fletching and all the creation systems are planned to shift more towards lore skills than weapon skills. (See Ssra's recent posts in arrow folder about new fletching).

I mean, it only makes sense. The best warriors aren't the best forgers. Plus it will help lore skills to be more useful.

Player of Tessaa
Re: weapons skills in enchanting 11/21/2004 01:28 AM CST
Personally, I want the Weapon skills to matter for enchanting to some degree. If you've never HEARD of a katar, you won't do well enchanting it. Especially a permanent enchantment. My own suggestion is that temporary enchantments you shouldn't need weapon skills for but the permanent ones they'd be vital. But then, my views are always baised.

-eud
Re: weapons skills in enchanting 11/21/2004 02:46 AM CST
And, apparently, uninformed. You're thinking of weapon enchantment in the 'dungeons and dragons' sense, where you end up with a +1 longsword, or a +3 warhammer. Rather, your regular broadsword has an enchantment that you can activate to, say, surround it with a halo of electricity, or immobilize an enemy that you wave it at, or even launch a fireball at a target. The process of creating an enchantment does not discriminate between weapons (insofar as we're discussing melee weapons in general; ranged weapons naturally would have different enchantments). The enchanting process doesn't care whether you're using a rapier, a mace, or a greatsword, as long as the weapon is large enough to be etched on and is strong enough to survive the etching process.

The best enchanters will be those who have trained their magical devices and elemental attunement, not those who trained their weapon skills.

'Banana' comes from the Latin 'Banana', meaning 'Help! My dog is creating a disturbance!'.
- Radio Free Vestibules, Some Things You Probably Didn't Know About Bananas
Re: weapons skills in enchanting 11/21/2004 09:59 AM CST
>The best enchanters will be those who have trained their magical devices and elemental attunement, not those who trained their weapon skills.

The best enchanters will be those who have boosted both. As the weapon knowledge will give you the ability to tell if an enchantment will work or destroy the weapon.

The Opinions, Suggestions, or Desires in the previous post should have no baring on your Role Play, as they are not presented by Simutronics Staff.
Any actual material would have an In game location to be found.
Re: weapons skills in enchanting 11/21/2004 10:13 AM CST
I know I started a thread on this topic quite a while back. I had thought at the time weapons should count for alot in the enchanting of one but I've grown to realize that was only my own ego coming into play.

Though it would add diversity to those that do it and make some mages better at certain weapon types than others it would be in our best interest to be able to enchant anything equally. For the person who is horrible with a light edge being able to enchant one well will give them a much needed boost to being able to learn it.

The only reason I still dislike it not coming into play (other than a practical RL view on how the weapon skills would actually come partially into play) would be the fact that the mage who's the best at enchanting will be the best at enchanting everything. This will surely make them the most sought after by others and a few people will rule the enchanting world on a selling basis but that isn't much different than the current forging or tanning systems.

So from a playing perspective one where the use of these enchanted weapons are only for the mage who makes them I do think it best for the guild overall to not have weapon skills count. The same thing hit me a while back on one of Galain's posts in which I had said I would like to be weapons prime.. well I realized from his answer that truely 'I' would like that but it's not best for the guild as a whole.

Personally I still very much look forward to Valdrik's ideas on sentient weapons, ones that grow with the user and are only able to be used by the creator thus making them able to be more powerful than the enchantments useable by anyone or any guild. That's what I look forward to the most out of the system. Hopefully he still has plans to do that at some point.

Beliel
Re: weapons skills in enchanting 11/21/2004 10:26 AM CST
<<Personally I still very much look forward to Valdrik's ideas on sentient weapons, ones that grow with the user and are only able to be used by the creator thus making them able to be more powerful than the enchantments useable by anyone or any guild. That's what I look forward to the most out of the system. Hopefully he still has plans to do that at some point.>>

Most definitely :).

~V

<--- Warrior Mage Haiku --->
My pants are aflame
I did not learn water spells
so now I must ARGGHHHH

http://www.livejournal.com/users/valdrik/

http://www.naebunny.com/TopFrameSet.htm