Prev_page Previous 1
Suggestion 11/15/2003 06:38 PM CST
An enchantment put on a weapon that would allow one to parry spells a certain number of times per day would be just plain awesome.

You gesture at Kahvan.
Kahvan braces his left hand against the blade of his sword and thrusts it forward!
A large ball of flame flies toward Kahvan!

The fireball smacks into Kahvan's bone-hilted broadsword and explodes into two jets of flame which bypass him completely.

::drool::
Suggestion for Weapon Enchantes 12/30/2004 02:58 PM CST
I have read a lot of posts about what skills will or will not be needed for weapon enchanting. One of the items that interested me is whether or not weapon skill will be required to enchante. From what I am reading it sounds like it will not be required.

What I would like to suggest is that skill in a particular weapon would allow you to cap out that weapon at a lower level of Elemental Arcana, Magical devices, and whatever other skill are required.

Mages with high enough skill could cap out an enchante on any weapon whether they have skill in the weapon or not. But mages with lower skill (target 50th circle prime weapon?) could cap out the weapon they use with somewhere around half the skill required to cap out enchantes on a weapon with no skill in that weapon.

To me, this approach seems like it would allow far more players to get involved with and enjoy the enchanting system.

Wabo
Re: Suggestion for Weapon Enchantes 12/30/2004 04:54 PM CST
I understand your reasoning for this but i have to disagree. The ability to wield a weapon effectively has no basis what so ever on your knowlage on carving out runes and focusing magic. weapon skil has no basis on magical ability

I can somewhat understand the forging system using your weapon still because you need to know what a good weapon is, but even then mechlore should really be the deciding factor.

As far as enchanting goes. i can see no reason what so ever that your weapon still would effect your ability to enchant, and honestly i don't think it should. Making it work that way would only give older players a easier time learning and performing enchantments. No one is being grandfathered through, which is think it the only right way to do this.

"The hand is quicker then the eye. But you should of been watching the foot."
Re: Suggestion for Weapon Enchantes 12/31/2004 08:17 PM CST
Where weapon skill might play into enchates could be things like a an enchantment that increases the construction of the weapon, or the balance.. etc. Heck you might add in the forging counter/weapon skill, ie. showing some real knowledge of how to make the weapon, so you'd really know how to Edge\Point\Weight\Balance\Power. I say the only weapon enchantments that might add in weapon skill or something else like the forging counter, should be the ones that increase the physical attributes of the weapon. ::shrug::

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Suggestion for Weapon Enchantes 01/10/2005 11:46 PM CST
<< i can see no reason what so ever that your weapon still would effect your ability to enchant, and honestly i don't think it should.

I have to disagree here somewhat.
I'm not an enchanting officionado, because untill Val says 'Here, it's done, this is what it is, this is how it works, this is how you do it.' I don't think everything (if many things) are set in stone just yet. I could be mistaken. At any rate, I'm not expecting to be an expert on the subject untill he tells us this.

The basis for my argu ... em, idea, is that, if we're PHYSICALLY affecting a weapon, in any way, shape, or form, by affixing runes ..... carving runes into the weapon in any place, we have to know the basic characteristics behind the blade, (head for blunts). I don't think we should need know near as much as what it takes to pound out the weapon, that's just insane, but 50 ranks, isn't that awefully hard, either. (25 would be easier)

Promising novice is 20 ranks, trained novice is 30 ranks, and beginning practitioner is 50 ranks.

Do I really want to give MY weapon? My potential pride and joy to some nitwit that doesn't know ANYTHING about the weapon, save possibly .... this end points out.... to .... tinker? with my weapon?
Granted, requiring to be a full expert in any weapon skill to be able to manipulate it is over kill, as well. But how are you going to understand the intricacies of the weapons, if you've never gone out and swung one a few times?

<< Making it work that way would only give older players a easier time learning and performing enchantments.

My 15 points trump on all your physical and mental stats (roughly guestimating) thus being able to learn a little faster then you, says I have an advantage no matter what. Just like Beliels' 15, 20 points trump on all my physical, and mental stats (again, roughly guestimating, and more for making the point, rather then being accurate in his TDP development over the years) gives him a decisive advantage at doing these activities.

I doubt ye'll see many people under 50th circle making high end enchantments, jus like moonatics need be probably 60+ circle, barbabarians need be 60+ circle, and rangers need be 60+ circles to really be effective in their trade arts. That's not to say a 50th level person of these professions can not make the items their guilds specialize in, but they're not going to make high quality items either. Unless they're seriously circle deficcient for their skills, of course

There were worms, I hate worms
They ate into my brain and drove me crazy!
crazy?...
Re: Suggestion for Weapon Enchantes 01/11/2005 05:23 PM CST
Just cause I'm bored...

<<I doubt ye'll see many people under 50th circle making high end enchantments>>

I bet your life there won't be any warmies under 50th making high end enchantment with the current set of prereq's for enchanting...

Rigek

"Heh I never really liked him anyway...he wasn't right in the head..."
Re: Suggestion for Weapon Enchantes 01/11/2005 06:02 PM CST
especially considering most of them are wasting slots on spells that aren't syphon or mend.

The Opinions, Suggestions, or Desires in the previous post should have no baring on your Role Play, as they are not presented by Simutronics Staff.
Any actual material would have an In game location to be found.
Re: Suggestion for Weapon Enchantes 01/11/2005 08:08 PM CST
>>I bet your life there won't be any warmies under 50th making high end enchantment with the current set of prereq's for enchanting...

Since enchanting is supposed to be more-or-less skill-based, and it was stated that the skills would be either 50th or 70th circle area, it would take an unusual player to get those kind of skills without also having worked the circle-required skills up there, as well.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Kynevon's DR Links Page: http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE: http://www.play.net/software/warlock-info.asp
Amagaim's What to Hunt list: http://kynevon.info/What2Hunt.xls
"We're not lost. We're just geographically confused." Brian, KoDT
Re: Suggestion for Weapon Enchantes 01/11/2005 09:21 PM CST
<<it was stated that the skills would be either 50th or 70th circle area>>

Valdrick said 50th.

<<it would take an unusual player to get those kind of skills without also having worked the circle-required skills up there, as well.>>

The reason I said there will not be any enchanters before 50th circle (Reread my preveious post) is the simple fact they have no access to the ability that lets them enchant regardless of skill levels.

Rigek

Re: Suggestion for Weapon Enchantes 01/11/2005 09:45 PM CST
Like I said, I'm not an officonado.
I don't keep track of all the details 'till the details are stone solid (for all that matters in DR, and stones melt, and words rearanged in the interum).

There were worms, I hate worms
They ate into my brain and drove me crazy!
crazy?...
Re: Suggestion for Weapon Enchantes 01/11/2005 11:54 PM CST
>>The reason I said there will not be any enchanters before 50th circle (Reread my preveious post) is the simple fact they have no access to the ability that lets them enchant regardless of skill levels.

What ability?

Only thing I can think of would be if Syphon has 50th circle as part of is requirements, but that would be up to Valdrik.

And the Elemental Attunement ability sounded to me, at least from what Valdrik was saying at SimuCon, as something that would be open to a Warrior Mage of any circle, but that higher Elemental Arcana skill (and maybe stats) would improve the user's ability to change their current attunement more quickly.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Suggestion for Weapon Enchantes 01/12/2005 12:20 AM CST
>>What ability?

Pattern Sight.

~Aeth
Re: Suggestion for Weapon Enchantes 01/12/2005 01:43 AM CST
>>>>What ability?

>>Pattern Sight.

My notes from SimuCon just mention it as part of the Elemental Attunement ability, nothing more. Anyone have any more information to share on it?

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Suggestion for Weapon Enchantes 01/12/2005 01:50 AM CST
I'm pretty sure it was listed as a 50th circle ability.

~Aeth
Re: Suggestion for Weapon Enchantes 01/12/2005 10:33 AM CST
>>Pattern Sight

50th circle ability
It lets a warmage see the runes/sigils that make up a spell from any guild and use the to enchant an ability into a weapon. Most spells will have at least a couple.

Examples: (These are only examples not GM stated)

Fire shard might have a targeted rune and a fire rune using just these to enchant and you might be able to make your weapon shoot fire.

MOF might have a lighting rune and a force projection rune using former might give you a glowing weapon to light the darker hunting grounds, the latter coulg give you that massive flaming two-handed sword you all know you want.

Plus we will have access to most if not all other guilds spell runes just by watching them prep, like giving a sword a targeted rune, the immobilization rune (from ranger web spell) and the fire rune (moonie burn)
you might be able to shoot a sticky flaming web that would hold them and incinerate them...

If anyone wants I can repost the siminar notes on all of this.

Rigek

Enchantment Suggestion 11/25/2007 03:21 AM CST
While I know that the enchanting system is vague and up in the air at the moment, I though of an enchantment for weapons that I think would make a lot of sense. It would allow the weapon (or ammo) to be guided by a targeting matrix for an added accuracy boost based on the TM of the user. Possibly even teach some TM. At first I considered this as an ability for WM, but I think it would be an excellent enchantment, as well.

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
>Aren't I pretty, now fall down on my ice, fool! ~ Axillus
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/26/2007 01:18 PM CST
I think that if enchantment does ever come out, it's pretty obvious that it will include extra damage based on the particular element used. Adding to-hit or an accuracy bonus based on TM might be a little much unless the bonus is fairly small, in my opinion.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/28/2007 07:40 AM CST
>it's pretty obvious that it will include extra damage based on the particular element used.

It is my sincere hope that enchanting is not +5 fire damage. That would be an incredible downer. Wythor (I believe) mentioned he wanted our enchanting system to create multi-element effects while spells create single-element effects. I also hope the system scales so that young Warrior mages can access the system. I get easily bored, and so I have ten characters. The highest is Opieus at 26th circle. I hope he's able to do at least some basic form of enchanting when it comes out.

>an accuracy bonus based on TM might be a little much unless the bonus is fairly small,

I was thinking along the lines of Elemental Barrage. Instead of preparing a spell, you form just the targeted matrix for the weapon and a charge (in whatever form) is expended for the targeted matrix to guide the weapon. I have no idea how significant the bonus from Elemental Barrage is, however.

Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/28/2007 08:05 AM CST
>The highest is Opieus at 26th circle. I hope he's able to do at least some basic form of enchanting when it comes out.

I wouldn't count on it. At that circle moon mages can't really make anything.
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/28/2007 09:06 AM CST
>I wouldn't count on it. At that circle moon mages can't really make anything.

Which is a very sad thing in my opinion, and I hope the Warrior Mage enchanting system does it differently. The new lore creation systems are supposed to scale from 0 to 2000 ranks. I will maintain the hope that the WM enchanting system will be open in some small way to lower circle characters. I will also train him more between now and the release of the WM enchanting system... Unless it comes out very, very soon. Which I wouldn't mind, either.

Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/28/2007 01:34 PM CST
Maybe it will take a really long time to enchant some small piece of something which will be used in more complex enchantments, thus you could make some deal to trade/sell those pieces to other mages so they do not have to waste time making the little things.
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/28/2007 02:27 PM CST
I really hope that's how WM enchantment will work.

On the other hand, we sometimes screw up and do something popular. We're working on that, though- GM Dartenian
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/28/2007 06:45 PM CST
For the sentient weapons that the GM's mentioned could be possible, it would be great if a forged weapon in the same room as it's maker would start talking to him.

You see a matte black bastard sword flash suddenly and cry out "Oh wow! I finnaly get to meet my maker! Hello, Joeforger!"

Rigek
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/29/2007 09:00 AM CST
>>Maybe it will take a really long time to enchant some small piece of something which will be used in more complex enchantments, thus you could make some deal to trade/sell those pieces to other mages so they do not have to waste time making the little things.

I'm not sure if it will be received as such, but I think this is a phenomenal idea. Not just for WM enchanting, but as a broad standard. It would be excellent if characters with lower skill levels in any creation system were "thrown a bone" in such a way that they were able to create raw components that are useless to them, but can be provided to higher level characters for use in higher level enchants. It gets lower levels involved in the process in a real way, especially if creating these raw materials is tedious enough that the higher levels won't want to spent their time doing it if they don't have to.

If you consider it, this perfectly parallels real life and makes IC sense: in most job environments it's the less skilled individuals that do the grunt work, and the more skilled individuals that take the results of that grunt work and make it something whole (generalization.. let's not get into a debate about useless middle management :D)

It could work for WM enchanting, but for a lot of other things as well. For example what if lower level Warrior Mages could harvest components for Kort and Belradi potions? Or if lower level Moon Mages could create ju'ladan oil? If done right, I think this concept could do wonders for getting characters of all ages involved in creation systems and do something to soothe the feeling of "I can't do anything useful until I have 200 in mech lore."

Sorta off topic, but I get easily excited :)

What happens in Qi, stays in Qi.
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/29/2007 10:29 AM CST
>It could work for WM enchanting, but for a lot of other things as well. For example what if lower level Warrior Mages could harvest components for Kort and Belradi potions? Or if lower level Moon Mages could create ju'ladan oil? If done right, I think this concept could do wonders for getting characters of all ages involved in creation systems and do something to soothe the feeling of "I can't do anything useful until I have 200 in mech lore."

It is an interesting idea. Now that I'm able to cap moon mage enchanting I'm not to keen on needing extra steps to hire out to people, but when I was lower circle I always wished I could do something useful.
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/29/2007 11:45 AM CST
>characters with lower skill levels in any creation system were "thrown a bone" in such a way that they were able to create raw components that are useless to them

I think this is a horrible idea. Mostly because this wouldn't make me feel useful in anyway. A higher level person could make it easier and cheaper. Having a lower circle character do it for them would only be done so the lower circle person would feel like they have a place in the system. Doing something tedious that benefits me in no way (except maybe learning something) is not being thrown a bone in the system, and I really don't want another tedious task to add to my training routine.

>Now that I'm able to cap moon mage enchanting I'm not to keen on needing extra steps to hire out to people

This. What incentive does someone at higher levels have to pay someone at lower levels to do something they could do just as well, if not better? I dislike the idea of "Add a tedious step so lower level people can do it". If you're going to throw lower level characters a bone, let them actually make something that is useful but not terribly powerful. Like the enchanting equivalent of forging a carving knife. Let the tenth circle characters make it, because the hundredth circlers won't learn or make money off of it.

>when I was lower circle I always wished I could do something useful.

I would personally feel insulted if someone asked me to do the menial work on their enchanting project. It would not make me feel useful, it would just be insulting. I would much rather make something that is useful, even if it's only useful to me, that isn't terribly powerful, than make something that is useful only to someone else who could easily make it themselves.

Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/29/2007 12:17 PM CST
>>I think this is a horrible idea. Mostly because this wouldn't make me feel useful in anyway. A higher level person could make it easier and cheaper.

Who said higher levels can do it easier and cheaper? Consider tanning leather. To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't matter how good you are at mech or leather armor, it will take the same amount of time to tan leather. I think you missed the point of my post. The idea is that low and high skill levels can make it, both to the same effectiveness, taking both the same amount of time. But because it takes time to do, time that a high-level player could spend doing something with higher pay-off, they might be more inclined to find a low-level supplier who is willing to do it for them, and pay them or apprentice them in exchange for the service.

If you don't think being able to participate, train, and be paid for your part in the enchanting system at a lower level isn't good enough, then I think you'll be wholly disappointed no matter what they come up with. Can you make the be-all end-all enchantment with this proposition? no. But you can still market your skill.

>>If you're going to throw lower level characters a bone, let them actually make something that is useful but not terribly powerful. Like the enchanting equivalent of forging a carving knife.

I don't see how this is any different from what I was saying. Disregarding the negligible potential of using a carving knife in battle, they are useless except as tools for making higher-end products -- products that require higher skills to make. Now a carving knife is store-bought and therefore the point is moot, but let's say instead of a carving knife it's a bja'jeorijbj'yt knife, which is just like a carving knife except that it has magical properties that are required for use in WM enchanting. Now you can make something that is useful to all enchanters regardless of level. Now pretend that these knives are super brittle and break every one or two uses (just for the purpose of this discussion), now you can make something that is useful to all enchanters, is expendable, and therefore is in constant demand. Finally, let's pretend it takes you 30 minutes to make one, or they can only be made in a certain place, or something else limiting... now you can make something that's in constant demand by all enchanters that has specific enough requirements that some high-end enchanters may be more willing to buy some than to make their own.

>>I would personally feel insulted if someone asked me to do the menial work on their enchanting project. It would not make me feel useful, it would just be insulting. I would much rather make something that is useful, even if it's only useful to me, that isn't terribly powerful, than make something that is useful only to someone else who could easily make it themselves.

Why not have both? The suggestion I was referring to (and have kinda run with, sorry if I twisted the original intent of the idea) would give those who wanted it a way to offer a service to others for any number of valid reasons:
* Make some money
* Apprentice themselves to a higher level
* Be part of the bigger process

Let me put it to you another way: I can, but will never make tinctures because it's too time consuming. However I would buy them from somebody else. I don't think it's demeaning or insulting to say so.

None of what I'm talking about is mutually exclusive to also having low-level enchantments that nobody will want except you. But when I play a MMORPG I like to feel like I have a place in the virtual society. I do enough solo grinding, I'd appreciate the opportunity to offer a service to others even at low ranks.

Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/29/2007 12:22 PM CST
>I would personally feel insulted if someone asked me to do the menial work on their enchanting project. It would not make me feel useful, it would just be insulting.

I would have done it for money, not altruism. It would be silly to get insulted like that in DR anyway. It isn't player skill they're insulting...

And guess what, if you give low level WMs useless fluff enchantments people will complain too...
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/29/2007 01:31 PM CST
Last I heard, part of the planned Lore/Creation system update was to have items that can be created at lower skill levels, that would likely be left to the younger/less skilled characters because they would not teach skill to the high-end types, but that would be component pieces/source items for higher-end items.

No reason why that same concept couldn't work for enchantment systems as well as creation systems.

Maybe some of the easier constellation scrolls used in MM enchanting when that constellation is down, for example? Not required, but a useful item...

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Grimoire of Echoes: http://tinyurl.com/2ac987
Hunting Info: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
Armor Info: http://tinyurl.com/2h5jcp
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/29/2007 03:55 PM CST
For those who have played..

It's along the same concept of how the lvl 15s can make crazy money selling something like a stack of feathers to the lvl 70 guys, because they need them and are to lazy to farm themselves. It's the way your weak 125 engineering becomes useful because it creates not only decent things for yourself, but also steps 1 and 2 of someone elses top of the line gadget. It creates a market that many people can tap into for both money and personal creations.

People helping people - It's a powerful thing.

It's not an insult.

---
a black panther comes flying into view! it hits the ground, bouncing once before sliding to a stop.
A black panther is stunned!
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/29/2007 10:19 PM CST
>Who said higher levels can do it easier and cheaper?

If it's the exact same ease for a 10th level character to make as a 100th level character, the 100th level character can make it and save money by not paying the 10th level character, plus they don't have to look for a 10th level character. Easier and cheapier.

>If you don't think being able to participate, train, and be paid for your part in the enchanting system at a lower level isn't good enough

Again, why would someone pay a lower level character for something they can do just as easily? Because they're lazy and don't want to do it themselves? Okay, that makes sense. But suggesting that they add a step solely so lower level characters might get paid to do it is silly.

>Disregarding the negligible potential of using a carving knife in battle

Carving knives are used for other things besides combat. Wood carving, skinning, talisman carving.

>Now you can make something that is useful to all enchanters regardless of level.

Again, why make a step that's tedious and annoying just so young mages can be paid my old mages who are lazy?

>Why not have both?

You're missing the point of what I'm saying. Creating something that is only useful to the small number of high level Warrior Mage enchanters is not what I see as being useful. They can make it themselves at least as easily as it can be made for them. If the item had some use on it's own outside of enchanting, that would be a different story. For example I'll use my original suggestion, let's say that all weapons that are going to be enchanted have to be processed to be guided by a targeting pattern. In more advanced enchantments, the targeted pattern is used to target the magic. Without any advanced enchantments, the targeted pattern simply directs the weapon adding a small bonus to hit if the user succeeds at the TM check. Useful for older mages, but still useful on its own.

>And guess what, if you give low level WMs useless fluff enchantments people will complain too...

Thus I said useful but not very powerful.

>but that would be component pieces/source items for higher-end items.

That isn't the impression I got. The impression I got was that younger characters would be making items that no longer teach higher level characters. Simple patterns like a carving knife at low levels, a jambiya at medium levels, and a katar at higher levels. Or rapier, sabre, iltesh. Or gloves, greaves, hauberk. Or arrow, bow, forester's bow. A progression of making something that is independently useful, not making something that is useful only to be added onto by a higher level character.

>It's along the same concept of how the lvl 15s can make crazy money selling something like a stack of feathers to the lvl 70 guys

Not really. The person farming feathers isn't doing anything except their normal hunting. They are not involved in any part of the process except gathering of raw materials.

It just irks me that people want to keep low level characters completely out of the fun systems, except to do menial tasks. Menial tasks aren't fun, and not everybody feels like power leveling for six months (or more) so they can start having fun with the cool systems. Remember, this is a game. People play it to have fun, not do menial crap to benefit someone else. Most of us do that in our real lives and come here to escape it for a little while.

Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/29/2007 10:49 PM CST
>>That isn't the impression I got. The impression I got was that younger characters would be making items that no longer teach higher level characters. Simple patterns like a carving knife at low levels, a jambiya at medium levels, and a katar at higher levels. Or rapier, sabre, iltesh. Or gloves, greaves, hauberk. Or arrow, bow, forester's bow. A progression of making something that is independently useful, not making something that is useful only to be added onto by a higher level character.

Just to chime in here as I noticed that my comments on the creation system were being tossed about. The general understanding here is correct. The intent is to have a progression of simple to more complex patterns and as you get higher in skill the simpler ones will stop teaching you, but there will remain a minimum time on the creation of the items no matter how much you out class them. However, there may indeed be times when one item which in and of itself is useful will also be the basis for a more complex item. For instance, let's say there is a higher level smithing template that lets you modify a battle axe to do something special (not going into what that might be so don't ask, this is just a generic example). Now, it is perfectly acceptable for the high level smith to make his own battle axe and then modify it and many will certainly choose to do exactly that. However, if he can do the enhancement then I guarantee he probably won't learn from making the axe and so it might be more beneficial to him to buy 2 axes from a younger smith that can produce the exact same quality and in the same amount of time turn out two enhanced axes for sale.

My plan has no intent to force anyone to use younger smiths, but the encouragement is there and it gives a potential place in the market for them. Those that insist on making everything themselves from scratch aren't going to learn as fast because they are repeating the basics. Also those older smiths that insist on trying to corner all of the smaller parts of the market that they have long since capped won't be learning their skill while doing so and thus won't proceed to higher level templates/enhancements that would not only let them learn better but also likely get them more coins for their time.

GM Oolan Jeel

"This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organizing genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time." Aneurin Bevan, May 1945, on World War II rationing and shortages in England.
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/29/2007 11:02 PM CST
>>Not really. The person farming feathers isn't doing anything except their normal hunting. They are not involved in any part of the process except gathering of raw materials.

You won't be doing anything except your normal smithing/creation training. Raw material are part of the process of creating...anything.

a black panther comes flying into view! it hits the ground, bouncing once before sliding to a stop.
A black panther is stunned!
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/30/2007 01:58 AM CST
>The general understanding here is correct. The intent is to have a progression of simple to more complex patterns

I'm glad to hear that my understanding of the creation systems was close, and I will continue to hope that the WM enchanting system takes a similar route. Thanks for chiming in, Oolan!

Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/30/2007 09:17 AM CST
Hope Im not too late chiming in here. Me personally, as a WM, I work for experienced smiths. Only one at the moment, but I've been talking to a second about starting work with them. I get paid a set price per mix. Under the current system, this nets me no in-game experience. But you know what, I enjoy playing in the forge, and now I get paid to do what I used to do anyhow. Also, I get to use a more hands-on learning approach rather than just reading some notepads, and talking to a smith here and there to answer a couple questions. So, I get player experience/knowledge, a little coin, and not much else. The experienced smiths could just as easily make the stuff they pay me to make, but it saves them time (a lot in some cases) at a minor increase in material price. Its a win/win situation as far as I can tell.

I also get to choose my own schedule. I can play in the forge for 1-2 days a week and grind the rest of the week, or I can spend 2 weeks straight in the forge and stockpile mixes, then go grind for however long I want until I run out of mixes. You may find it useless, tedious, boring, and trivial. I find it enjoyable, and I get paid to do what I enjoy. YMMV.

-Master Ndin
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 11/30/2007 03:56 PM CST
>>If it's the exact same ease for a 10th level character to make as a 100th level character, the 100th level character can make it and save money by not paying the 10th level character, plus they don't have to look for a 10th level character. Easier and cheapier.

What's easier about spending time to do something yourself? Cheaper, yes, but if you're selling enchants for 10 plat, paying 5 gold for the components isn't much of an expense.

>>But suggesting that they add a step solely so lower level characters might get paid to do it is silly.

Speak for yourself. I think most people would jump at the opportunity to do something more than haul bags and bags of gems to the gem store to earn some money.

>>Carving knives are used for other things besides combat. Wood carving, skinning, talisman carving.

Right ... as in, tools for making a product further down the creation chain. Again -- I don't see how your suggestion was any different than mine, but I don't know how to make it any clearer.

>>Again, why make a step that's tedious and annoying just so young mages can be paid my old mages who are lazy?

Friend, I am working off of YOUR suggestion here. You want to make carving knives? Great. But as soon as I suggest that you might also want to sell them to somebody, it's offensive?

>>For example I'll use my original suggestion, <your suggestion>

Sounds great. Like I said earlier, why not have both? You can have your enchantment as your described it -- good for you. For the people who want to do more than enchant their own weapons, who want something marketable that gets them involved with other players, why can't they have something too? Again -- not mutually exclusive.

>>It just irks me that people want to keep low level characters completely out of the fun systems, except to do menial tasks. Menial tasks aren't fun, and not everybody feels like power leveling for six months (or more) so they can start having fun with the cool systems. Remember, this is a game. People play it to have fun, not do menial crap to benefit someone else. Most of us do that in our real lives and come here to escape it for a little while.

What you consider menial (and apparently beneath you, offensive, etc) may not be to others. I'll let Oolan's post speak for itself as it perfectly captures what I was trying to say. The world -- DR and real life -- will always revolve around the concept that it takes a lot of simple parts to make something complicated. Naturally, it takes less skill to make the simple parts than the complex final product. It involves a supply chain from bottom to top. If you find it offensive to be at the bottom of that chain, then don't participate. Either train up, or if that bores you, then stick to doing lowbie enchantments on your own weapons -- you are certainly entitled, and I have never suggested otherwise.

>>and I will continue to hope that the WM enchanting system takes a similar route.

Now that I see you read and responded to Oolan's post I'm utterly baffled, as he is describing precisely what I suggested (although I didn't realize at the time that I was way behind the game in my suggestion :D). What a waste of time :P

Re: Enchantment Suggestion 12/08/2007 11:51 PM CST
naptha, by the barrel.
it might not be enchantment, but make some mundane ingredients turn into naptha with a little mana energy in it. Sod, fermented grass, whatever.

Warmies should have access to gallons of it. It should be exploding in our backpacks and in our faces when we try to make it.
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 12/09/2007 12:19 AM CST
<<it might not be enchantment, but make some mundane ingredients turn into naptha with a little mana energy in it. Sod, fermented grass, whatever.>>

Sounds like moonshine. :-P

-Ssra

"There is always a bigger fish."
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 12/09/2007 03:34 AM CST
>>Sounds like moonshine. :-P

How about alchemical creation of napalm? Mix up some naphtha, kerosene, sulphur, maybe some other ingredients. ;)

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Grimoire of Echoes: http://tinyurl.com/2ac987
Hunting Info: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
Armor Info: http://tinyurl.com/2h5jcp
Re: Enchantment Suggestion 12/09/2007 10:42 AM CST
How about some kind of explode-on-impact naphtha orbs (grenades)? Doesn't get much more war magey than that. Would give me a reason to train up LT.

Prev_page Previous 1