Prev_page Previous 1
Problem. 04/18/2008 05:52 PM CDT
We're quasi-friends ooc, through aim...but the guy just seems to get a giggle out of waiting till I'm juggling and blowing a hole in me a mile wide. Yesterday it was fireball, today was chain lightning. Both times he had to, "Go to work" before I was rezzed up. It's teaching me to stay on my toes, but I'm going to have to teach him a lesson if this is going to stop.

The problem is is that he gets all poor faced when I gorilla stomp him. Didn't talk to me for a whole day last time I wailed on him. So I imagine it'll all be groovy the first time I kill him, and then the second time, he'll be angry enough to report.

I know I can't walk him (policy wise I mean), and I wouldn't even if I was allowed, he's a good time for the most part. If two people have been engaged in a long term battle though, do normal consent rules apply? Or if I kill him three or four times to prove a point will they look at our history and say, "What did you expect, mook?"

I also hate to create work for clerics and empaths, but thems the breaks.

Also...is it considered rude to kill someone when the empath/cleric JUST rezzed them? Like in the middle of their first breaths. I guess that kinda lacks style though...I'll pass on that.

Anywhoo...any thoughts from the peanut gallery? Not looking for moral support, but if this goes south on me, what sort of nonsesne can I expect?

You hear the ghostly voice of Redeth say, "That plan worked better in my head."
Re: Problem. 04/18/2008 07:32 PM CDT
Thanks! While some of it I don't relish, I appreciate the response. I'm not much for warning anything, seems like a whiny road to go down.

He's quite a bit larger than me so he shouldn't whine and complain too much (and still be able to keep his man-card).

I don't mind the battles...but I WOULD like 4 minutes to rub together where I don't have to have an MOF, a discharged ES and a voi up just cause I'm sitting still. I'll duel anyone 3 times. Best 2 of em and the loser is declared and I'm going back to training.

Just seeing who can catch the other one napping is the pits though...and pretty useless as far as a learning experience. I could understand if I caught Celesi napping and decided to have a chain lightning party, he's quite a bit bigger than me and it'd be worth my eventual death to say, "Yep...he crossed me and see what happened? O'Doyle rules!" But mookster here can one shot me, so it's not like he's hard up for an opportunity to stomp me if we wanted to play out a raging fight.

I wont chain kill him IF he gets rezzed. I'll be (gags)...nice.

I'm almost afraid to admit that my best option is to just be on my toes for the next few attempts he makes and stomp the feathers out of him for even looking at me funny. I've been letting him get away with casting on me when he doesn't hit me, just cause I don't feel like dealing with his silent routine. Hopefully I'll be able to convince him, by completely crushing anything that resembles ego, that duels-only is his best bet for a productive day.

Men are high maintenence.

Re: Problem. 04/18/2008 09:18 PM CDT
You really better be careful, Redeth. Easy to rack up warnings. Avoid grey areas if possible.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Problem. 04/19/2008 12:03 AM CDT
Update!

It worked...I beat the feathers out of him the first time just for retribution, he casted on me after his spirit was up and got hammered again...then I told him that if he wouldn't agree to my dueling rule I'd be armadillo stomping him every time I saw him.

It's pretty lame that just cause I don't see the need to report that I become a victim. I can't cast on him for fear of it, but I get to wait around for him to get the urge to mana dump on me.

Kinda weird how it turns out.

Anyways, he agreed.

Re: Problem. 04/19/2008 12:22 AM CDT
>> Also...is it considered rude to kill someone when the empath/cleric JUST rezzed them? Like in the middle of their first breaths.

>>Yes. If you did that in front of me, neither my Empath nor Cleric would be helping you again for a while, and my Cleric might well kill you, depending on the circumstances.

Just posting my two cents about this, but unless you're intimately familiar with the circumstances IMHO it's really none of your business. I've killed Clerics and Empaths for attacking me or casting on me and trying to prevent me from exercising consent on some ass before.

Real example:

Someone attacks me without consent, they get my throwing hammer in their chest and run from the spar before they die a vitality death. I find them in the Empath's guild while they are getting healed and and proceed to finish killing them while the Empath is healing them. I'm sure it's annoying for the Empath but it's completely justified. The guy picked a fight, bit off more than he could chew, and tried to chicken-wuss his way out of dying by hiding behind an Empath.

It's certainly in somewhat poor taste, but that doesn't mean it cannot be completely justified.
Doctor: Are you Alliance?
Early: Am I lion? Huh. I don't think of myself as a lion. But you might as well have a mighty roar!
Re: Problem. 04/19/2008 04:20 AM CDT
Redeth beats back the angry board monkey Ileir with a rotten carp.

How is it that even in digital media, some people still just manage to push all your buttons? Don't talk down to me. I like asking lots of questions, and morons that get a high and mighty attitude bug me.

People who claim to know the outcome of an event before it happens are mostly just bragging or guessing.

Don't tell me you'd kill me, you'd attempt. You may or may not succeed, you don't know anything about me. I could be the seventh friggin' wonder of elanthia, I could just run and hide in front of the warmie guild...Tropicalo and Jhime could quake at the very thought of my displeasure. It may seem like a small thing but wow...you went the whole different route.

My cleric would kill you.
No! My warmage would kill your cleric and eat his face!

Do shut up.

And another thing!

>>See, I thought I said that, but he clearly missed every aspect of the point that I was making.

Don't assume that just because you post in reponse that I would give a rat fart in a high wind what it is your saying. Your solution seemed like something a girlscout would come up with after crying to her mother for advice.

"Just reason with him, honey...everyone may not agree but they'll respect you."

Phooey is what I thought but...

I tried to be polite and say, "Thanks for the input, mook." But no...I got talked down to again. For the love of GOD, ignore all my posts. I would rather get no answer then your bumbling attempts to put yourself in a good light at my expense.

>>I see lockouts in this ones future.
(I really fargin hate being talked down to)

If you truly want to help, then help...you don't have to have an agenda to want to talk to and help people. There was a perfectly good post for you to copy from just before yours. "Be careful..." As in use you're best judgement, Red. Not...'You're an idiot cause you didn't do what I said.' If no one has told you that you have the social grace of a toad then you live in your mothers basement and haven't met anyone else.

>>Let me put on my Moonie Cap.

Predict all you want, oh far seeing killer of whoever, but I bluffed through that one pretty well. Maybe you should get some moonie diapers and try again...might work better with the device closer to your brain.

And I'm a chick, albeit an angry, egocentric one but your diaper will probably tell you that.

SOBER! I'm going to add this distinction at the end of all my rants from no one so everyone knows that I'm either not in my right mind or I'm just being a little female doggish.

Re: Problem. 04/19/2008 09:29 AM CDT
I was going to chime in here to offer some personal experience in a similar situation I was in a few years ago. But after that post all I can say is:

Badass. Eat his face.

---
Player of Kryeus Kyshi'cio
Re: Problem. 04/19/2008 09:04 PM CDT
Now see, THAT was critical and still polite.

Re: Problem. 04/19/2008 10:57 PM CDT
Dear Miss Manners,

I am a Razzle Dazzle War Mage and I want to get your advice about a fellow War Mage who keeps poo-pooing on my parade. He is just a mean ol' stinker and I haven't any clue how to turn his frown upside down so we can sing show tunes and play with the rainbow unicorns again.

sincerely yours,
Mr. Poop-e-doo

The Declaration of Independence grants Americans the right to pursue happiness, but if caught, you must return it to the pharmaceutical companies.
Re: Problem. 04/19/2008 11:54 PM CDT
I think yer poking fun at me.

Maybe you're kinda caught up in your character to the point where OOC questions are asked from their point of view.

I think of it more like a trip to the supermarket(granted I'm new to RP). I'm obviously not Redeth at the supermarket, and if I ask for directions to a brand of food I expect that no one is going to be a jerk about it. They'd just say, "Oh sure! Just head on down there, hun." They could be right or wrong, but it was an interaction that didn't require much effort on their part and in no circles of thought would condescension and scathing remarks be appropriate. They HAPPEN but continue reading.

In this case forum interaction can't be forced like a real life situation. You can simply NOT post without the social awkwardness of completely ignoring someone who just asked you a pretty benign question.

The difference is somewhat like road-rage. You can dehumanize the interaction in your mind so that whoever you're dealing with isn't an actual, singular person you're crapping on, but just another face on the same idiot you've been dealing with forever. You've built up rage on this dumb entity to the point that they're almost like a person in your mind, no matter WHO they are and you enable yourself to be rude on a scale that, in person, would be complete social suicide (and likely to get you punched in the nose). That you physically have to TRY to be mean, and not just be rude by ommission due to the medium, annoys me more.

At any rate, neither myself or my character are what you'd call delicate...requesting quiet rather than dealing with people who have poor manners is something your mother's (or whoever gives a crap about you) been teaching you since you were able to speak.

"If you don't have something nice to say..." Shut your yapping fly fogger.

If someone wants to crap on Redeth, that's a whole different animal, and just plain old fun. But simply not having manners because you can't see someone is ignorant and cowardly.

So in closing remember: "You are who you are in the worst of times." Meaning if you're crappy to waitresses, children, animals, etc. (people who can't retaliate, MUCH LIKE ON THE BOARDS!) That's who you are...the rest of your life is just a set of consequences that keep you away from that true self. I.E. The, "Would you take the money if no one would find out." situation.

Short answer: If you're not a completely classless toad the internet is the place to be the MOST polite, due to the lack of consequence that is present in personal interaction. OR you could be one of the MILLIONS that embrace their inner jerk.

If you were asking a real question, I'll assume I'm Miss M, ignore all the above and read the following:
I'd say lay off the sunshine flying out of your fifth point of contact or he might off you for some peace and quiet...buy him an ale, shine his boots (if you're male you're obviously not up to bat for my team) and call it an evening.

SOBER! but wishing otherwise

Re: Problem. 04/20/2008 12:26 AM CDT
>>I was going to chime in here to offer some personal experience in a similar situation I was in a few years ago.

Please do, Kryeus...mine could have easily gone south. I bluffed him out in saying, "I'll armadillo stomp you every time I see you if you don't agree." He coulda called me on it and I'd be right back to square one. I got kinda lucky in that either he's as inexperienced as me or he's not a reporting kinda guy.

I'd say give him the benefit of the doubt, but since I haven't mentioned his name, doesn't really matter.

SOBER!

Re: Problem. 04/20/2008 03:10 AM CDT
I hadn't thought of that...lets hope he's honorbound now.

Re: Problem. 04/20/2008 09:19 AM CDT
>>Please do, Kryeus...mine could have easily gone south. I bluffed him out in saying, "I'll armadillo stomp you every time I see you if you don't agree." He coulda called me on it and I'd be right back to square one. I got kinda lucky in that either he's as inexperienced as me or he's not a reporting kinda guy.

I used to be involved in a kill circle with a bard, a cleric, and a warrior mage. If I wasn't paying attention, there was no peace. I had the upper hand in that my character was older, but all of them were tenacious and willing to tag team. Once the warrior mage learned lightning bolt,I quite literally walked around with seers sense and shear anytime I knew he was ingame.

We exchanged kills constantly in all directions, it was a complete and utter mess. When the warrior mage reported "Help! Kryeus is being mean!" We were pulled up for a consult and pretty much told by GM Tessima at that point to shut up, quit reporting, and keep on killing cause it's no GM by a longshot. Which was fine, I don't believe he was ever really trying to get me locked out or punished. It continued until we all quit, and now I'm the only one that plays. I very much miss that sort of constant competition and action, but from what I can tell it is a very rare thing anymore.

My point is - when it's just you two plugging each other in the face repeatedly the GMs are very unlikely to warn someone. You're not in a whole lot of a risk there. If he was to report they'd either say no GM, or ok you two just need to end it all immediately. Of course I'm no GM myself, so that's just my experience in how they react. You know when you're killing him for fun, and when you're killing him because he's managed to anger you through the game. When you're doing it with malicious intent, that's when you know you might be going too far.

My only advice to you would be to watch out for outsiders. People rarely understand what's going on when you two are blowing up other up, and often times they will try to intervene or play the parent. More than once someone pulled that attitude on us and they had all of us killing them straight in the face until they left us alone. This is where you run the risk of crybabies reporting, when they get killed for involving themselves in a situation that they were never really wanted in in the firstplace.

More than once clerics that didn't approve of our "childish behavior" told myself or one of the others our memories were ok to depart(no rezz back then), when in fact this was not true. Some of them had the audacity to report us when we'd come storming into the guild naked and pissed, blasting them for purposely misleading us. In fact, I do believe one of my billion warnings is from a situation like that.

If it's fun? Keep on truckin.

---
Re: Problem. 04/20/2008 12:19 PM CDT
Thanks! It was fun while it lasted. I hadn't realized they'd been known to take a hands off approach sometimes. They'd probably gork out of I decided to start chain killing, but if I kept it within the realm of good sportsmanship I think I might be alright.

We're still at eachother with weapons only occassionally. It DOES keep you on your toes. Maybe I'll tell him to start back up again, I don't think he liked it too much though unless he was winning.

Preciate it.

Player o' Red

SOBER! But not for long...it's a day off.

Re: Problem. 04/20/2008 02:47 PM CDT
>>I used to be involved in a kill circle with a bard, a cleric, and a warrior mage.

lol The good ole days for sure. I remember what you're talking about and can say that doesn't really go on all that much anymore. The last time I saw some wild grudge matches the people in the fight didn't care, but they kept getting whispers from outside people to report the other.

You can't really just drop anyone quickly these days no matter how IC it is. You've got to take 10 minutes and read and look at every rule from every angle first. They say they aren't going to flying down white capes as fast as they used to, but I haven't noticed change.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/Sirzason/wmsheet2.jpg

a black panther comes flying into view! it hits the ground, bouncing once before sliding to a stop.
A black panther is stunned!
Re: Problem. 04/20/2008 03:20 PM CDT
>You can't really just drop anyone quickly these days no matter how IC it is.

I've certainly noticed that. Seems in general people are less interested in violence these days. Even the moon mage GMPC "baddies" seem like they're all huggy-happy now.

At least we still have people like Caelumia and Redeth here to carry the torch.

---
Re: Problem. 04/20/2008 04:38 PM CDT
>"You are who you are in the worst of times."

Wow. You certainly do channel a mean Dr. Phil or is it Oprah? You have just enough zen-pop psychology to effect a personal experience or relationship, but falls flat to any educated reader. If only you had used something like: "my pent up "rage" is a personification of my inner child trying to find justification for violence in and effort to find love in a dark, misunderstood world" or maybe it would have been much easier for you to say, "Hey, jerkoff. Read Moby Dick!" instead of spouting your blather.

A thinking toad would see not the "why" of a post, but the "where".

The Declaration of Independence grants Americans the right to pursue happiness, but if caught, you must return it to the pharmaceutical companies.
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 12:42 AM CDT
PvP is a tricky proposition at best in DR prime.

There are very few folk who do it well and get away with it. One of those you MAY want to talk to if you get a chance is Xelten down in Illith. Guys an ass and most folk dislike him as his RP style is such that it tends to rub 80% the wrong way. However he does PvP a fair bit and is for the most part good about it to the point where he has done TONS of it and avoided lockouts so far as I know.

My PvP is usually in the form an eye for an eye. When I engage in it I want it to end one way or another than and there. I honestly have NO patiance or interest in having to constantly look over my shoulder for the guy to sneak on me and try kill me with my shorts around my ankles. Got to LOVE when hunting especially having someone sneak on you and go to town. SO basicaly I make my PvP opponents know its a one time deal. You kill me I kill you or attemt to. After that is done its over. I have only ONCE chain killed a guy and done it dirty to the point where I was camping his grave and wailing on him while he tried to get his stuff. Why? Because he was TONS bigger than me and once he got his stuff and got back up to full health he was gonna come after me and send me to my grave... again and again and again just because he could. I did not stop until he agreed that it was over and done with... he did not have much choice I would have walked his arse or he would have had to abandon all his stuff as he refused to call it quits until he had died 6 times.

You can also have a KOS policy with a player. Those happen with well known PvP players and their arch nemessis. There are a few classic examples with Raggran and few other well known PvP folk against some arch nemessis or other. KOS = Kill on Sight. Perma consent between you and them. Every time you see each other or come across each other or manage to track the other one down you try to kill or be killed. Those are tough against folk much bigger than you. If you are a hard core PvPer than sure. Be always buffed to the teeth and every time you log in check if they are on and if yes try locate them and kill them or at least make sure they are well away from where you are before settling down to ... whatever. This one usually either ends up in one moving FAR away from the other until the fued is dead and done with from no activity or ... the two agree to call it quits ... or one ends up getting tired of it and reports the other.

In your case Red sounds like the bigger guy is stomping you because he can. And when you do hand his arse back to him he gets all cheezed. To test the waters try stomping on him a few times in a row and see what happens. He will either cry like a baby and report you, or get steeamed and start hunting you down like an exerminator comming after a pest or talk to you and try to call an end to it. Judging by his actions you should be able to get an idea what kind of PvP you got going with him if he wont plain out tell you. If you are friendly with him than set down rules and bounderies to your engagement such as "No attacking me while I am out hunting, or one death per day etc.
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 01:08 AM CDT
By the way if you are a well known PvPr keep in mind that you WILL have PvP AGRO. What I mean by that there will be PvP wanabees who will come and agrivate you on purpose in an attempt to get you going and get consent. Also plenty of dense folk who will lable you as the "Bad guy" or in your case "girl" and try and talk "shiat" to you all the time on gweth with no interest in PvP but just for a simple opportunity to stick their nose in. When you wail on them they run like a crybaby and report at first opportunity. For those make SURE you let them know that if they keep on "pestering" you they will get your boot coming for their cavaties (either showed up their arse or down their throat). That way if they continue they are giving you consent and if you squash them and they report they will have no one but themselfs to blame and will either have to SHUT up and leave you be or enjoy the tase of your shoe lether. Those in my oppinon are FAR worst than the PvP wanabees. The PvP wanabees you can either squash like a bug and send them running with their tail between their legs or get yourself squashed in trun and have them strut around like a peacock until they get bored by it and move on to whatever it was they were doing in the first place.

If you are going to play the "Bad ass" pick an RP style and stick with it as I said there are some really good examples out there. Raggran or Xelten and I am sure folk will have a few more. Raggran is by far and large loved by most folk for his RP and watching him in action is like reading a good book or a good movie folks LOVE to see him in his element going at it. Try to stay away from the outright insulting type that likes to spout things such as "You are a retard therefore I must kill you" those sort of things move from bieng RP to being Harrasment and you take the F out of the Fun of it and it becomes "F$##%$#$ you" instead of Fun. When trying to RP understand that this is a Game and most of us play to have Fun. I have played on and off now for near 7 years and have left on several ocassions for extended periods of time and usualy it was either because I was bored OR some royal arse aggrivated me in the game so much that I found myself not enjoying my playing time and just stopped logging on.

The classic mistake that I have seen most "Bad guy" RPrs make is they end up having too many feuds going at the same time and either get walked outright or become a hunted animal to the point where no matter where they go they have a target on their back and can not spend a MOMENT in game without someone wailing on them or in most cases SEVERAL somebodys. Typicaly these end up quitting the game or walking. Either way there is NO fun to be had if you let the amount of feuds get out of hand. If that happens to you put out as many as you can as quicly as you can even if you have to have OCC discussions in game to end them.
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 01:15 AM CDT
>>There are very few folk who do it well and get away with it. One of those you MAY want to talk to if you get a chance is Xelten down in Illith. Guys an ass and most folk dislike him as his RP style is such that it tends to rub 80% the wrong way. However he does PvP a fair bit and is for the most part good about it to the point where he has done TONS of it and avoided lockouts so far as I know.

Say what? My character very, very rarely engages in combat with other PCs. That's probably why I avoid lockouts.

If a situation really warrants violence, then violence it is. That usually means it will be "consented", but not always. Nevertheless, very few situations actually call for killing.

- Xelten's player

You owe 666 Dokoras to the Domain of Ilithi.
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 01:54 AM CDT
>Say what? My character very, very rarely engages in combat with other PCs. That's probably why I avoid lockouts.

LOL. While YOU may consider the amount of PvP you do rare I have seen you engaged in PvP a LOT compared to most of us "normal" non violent folk. Heck just today you had a spat with Galren (not wise in my oppinion but thats MY oppinion).

All I was saying is you seem to have a knack of killing folks without getting reported on for the most part. And you got to admit you have killed MORE than your fair share most of Illith hates your guts... course could be just the style of RP you have chosen for yourself.

On a side note Cudos for "mellowing" out that style of RP to where it is tolerable. The "harder" stuff you used to engage in before made it NO fun for a lot of us to interact with you.
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 02:21 AM CDT
>>While YOU may consider the amount of PvP you do rare I have seen you engaged in PvP a LOT compared to most of us "normal" non violent folk.

I'm afraid you're simply mistaken, unless an average (average, mind you - more likely to happen a few at once and then none for a very long time) of at most once every couple of RL months is a lot of PvP. The last time my character attacked another character without being attacked first was the Crusade, and that was a well established PvP area.

>> Heck just today you had a spat with Galren (not wise in my oppinion but thats MY oppinion).

As I'm sure you're well aware, my character didn't do any attacking of Galren until after being attacked. It was a rather simple... be killed, and then kill back - conflict resolved. Most characters do not start attacking mine when just chatting, so again, it is rare for my character to be engaged in combat with other characters. Obviously, the risk is probably there, most just choose not to start fighting at the drop of a hat.

>>All I was saying is you seem to have a knack of killing folks without getting reported on for the most part.

Again, if they attack first, it would be silly of them to report.

>>And you got to admit you have killed MORE than your fair share most of Illith hates your guts... course could be just the style of RP you have chosen for yourself.

As to being hated in Ilithi, your information is old. There are a few I am sure, but those who anyone in the area would consider regulars generally have little issue. Unless there is a cult of people in Ilithi who I never see at all, secretly off hating my character amongst themselves?

>>On a side note Cudos for "mellowing" out that style of RP to where it is tolerable. The "harder" stuff you used to engage in before made it NO fun for a lot of us to interact with you.

Not much has changed other than the folks with whom my character was at odds... left the area. They were loud, certainly.

So, I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but it seems to be a biased and uninformed source. No harm, done, really. Just thought I should set it straight.
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 02:40 AM CDT
.... Uninformed... bah!

You "mellowed" your RP style after you got turned down for Commander because at the time it came up you were SO disliked you would have made a unit of 1... well maybe 2 or 3 as you do have a few folks who hang around with you.

After that failed attempt it became pretty clear to you just how much dislake there was for you in Illith and you tempered your RP to the point where you are still doing pretty much exactly what you had done before but without the shap edges that used to cut folk up to the point of where they had no interest in interacting with you.

True some of your bigger "fans" have either been missing for a while or moved away myself included. Also the HUGE influx of new people who are not familiar with your history helped Xelten's overall reputation in Illith as well.

This is the player of Leonned so no I am not uninformed. Perhaps over the past 6 months yes as I had been on one of my leaves of absence from the game for about that time. However I have played many years and when I do play I am around a fair bit.

Bottom line is I was commending your style of play and RP as note worthy not out to beat on it. Just because it is not what I do I am not one of those that tends to look negatively on what folk chose to do with their toons. SO long as you are not affecting my game experience directly by your actoins which I define as Harrassment I applaud folk for trying out different things.
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 02:52 AM CDT
>>You "mellowed" your RP style after you got turned down for Commander

If any changes did occur, it certainly was not due to this, at any rate. I'd think you would know that if you heard anything at all my character said prior to the interviews for the position. More or less, he was only putting his name in for consideration to provide an alternative. In the actual interview, he made it clear that he would only be an appropriate Commander if they wanted something very specific. The Provincial Guard thing was actually more useful to the character than a Command would have been.

There are additional reasons for everything going the way it did, but disclosing any of that would jeapordize current events, and it is really all rather irrelevant to your original post, which in getting back to the point: The only advice I can give about PvP is... don't let killing be your primary response to everything.

I suppose you are entitled to your perspective, however.
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 02:57 AM CDT
>I suppose you are entitled to your perspective, however.

Zeeesh man you are as difficult to deal with on the boards as you are in game...

Look going back to the original posts. I did two things.

One commend your style of RP and recommend you as an example for said.

Two put Xelten's name forward as a possible source of advice on PvP as I have seen you kill numerous folk around Illith and have not known you to get into Lockout/warrning trouble. Never commented weather you attacked first or was attacked etc.

Bottom line you got a compliment and seem to preceive it as an argument.

It was meant to be a compliment man no more no less.
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 03:06 AM CDT
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, then. It's certainly been a long night and I could easily have missed something in your posts.

The point I was trying to make, however, is that I can't possibly know anything about getting involved in lots of PvP, because I don't. If you think you've seen a lot of it, then you're mistaken. The mention of any combat my character does have being typically defensive was meant to demonstrate that I really wouldn't know anything about attacking people and not being reported.

Just trying to make all the information accurate.
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 03:43 AM CDT
Only on the warrior mage boards.

I am --- Navak
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 10:36 AM CDT
Soo...did you care to refute anything I said, or just make fun of it's delivery? (The fool looks at the finger that points at the sky.) Cause I can't find a single thing that you managed to say other than, "Nonni nonni boofoo...you're dumb cause you're not as smart as ME!"

Try adding something...Was I wrong for THIS reason or THAT? You got petulant and spiteful to an art...I promise. Why don't you try...oh I don't know...not being a child?

Anyways, the 'thinking toad' and the 'educated reader' would have noticed it wasn't a psychology knowledge base that I was speaking from but rather a philisophical one. I would have thought the "Would you take the money if no one would find out?" gave it away. The rest is just common (or maybe not so common for you) sense. Philosophy is my major, but in YOUR defense, I did take a semester of general psychology...I didn't/haven't studied channeling yet. "You are who you are in the worst of times." is a paper I wrote...I got another one titled: "Hitler's Sixth Finger"...I like that title better. Is gots LOTS o'tree syllabilly wordies in eet.

I'm REALLY so very sorry you butted your nose in (just to poke fun I guess...you certainly didn't ADD anything to the discussion) and it got snapped off. What the heck did you think was going to happen? Maybe you should leave that white whale be, Ahab. The hunt isn't working out so well for you.

To summarize your posting thus far:

-You're a limp wristed nancy cause you like people you deal with in RL to have manners! (uh?)

and...

-You're not as smart as you think you are! I know WHERE you learned all this stuff to blast me on the forums. It doesn't count if I can make fun of it. nonni nonni (If you say so, sweety...you'll always be momma's little boy)

I'd tell you to grow up but you're probably a grown man...don't you find yourself to be just a little pathetic with these exchanges? It's ok, lie down, you can tell it all to Dr. Rena Whinfrey.

SOBER!...but hungover and feelin' like Oprah before the diet.

Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 12:00 PM CDT
>>Anyways, the 'thinking toad' and the 'educated reader' would have noticed it wasn't a psychology knowledge base that I was speaking from but rather a philisophical one.

To be fair, philosophers trying to discuss personality is about as relevant as taking a philosophical approach to rocketry. The actual discipline of philosophical psychology has nothing to do with mental health or behavior.

-Armifer, academic elitist.
"It is no longer possible to escape men. Farewell to the monsters, farewell to the saints. Farewell to pride. All that is left is men."
- Jean-Paul Sartre
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 01:27 PM CDT
>>The classic mistake that I have seen most "Bad guy" RPrs make is they end up having too many feuds going at the same time and either get walked outright or become a hunted animal to the point where no matter where they go they have a target on their back and can not spend a MOMENT in game without someone wailing on them or in most cases SEVERAL somebodys. Typicaly these end up quitting the game or walking.

Umm... where do you get your information? TF? This is certainly not the case in Prime, at least not currently.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 06:34 PM CDT
>To be fair, philosophers trying to discuss personality is about as relevant as taking a philosophical approach to rocketry. The actual discipline of philosophical psychology has nothing to do with mental health or behavior.

You must be incorrect. Its his major after all and he has written papers!!!

Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 06:35 PM CDT
>>The actual discipline of philosophical psychology has nothing to do with mental health or behavior.

My background is in moral philosophy, here goes!

Yeah...except in how you actually justify your behavior. On the whole philosophy doesn't cover reasons for behavior, only judgement after the fact. Caring WHY people do things isn't my gig...I don't like people enough to get to know them that well.

I don't know and can't fathom why this particular person would care to be pointlessly rude. Maybe he wasn't hugged enough? Maybe he's releasing pent up aggression from a tour in some third world deathtrap so he doesn't explode one day and gun down a department store. I don't particularly care. I CAN and will pass philisophical judgement, from my perspective, on his actions. He was (obviously) rude, offered no solutions or counterarguments to the behavior he found annoying and continued with the same "I think you're an idiot" drivel.

Philosphy ties into everything because it deals with the moral stem of all motivation. The basics of right and wrong apply to EVERY situation, from nuking Japan to toasting your waffles. That people study things like behavioral sciences to find out WHY people act the way they do is a footnote (albeit a largely more profitable one) to the larger question at hand: What SHOULD people be doing? Doesn't matter what they're doing if we can't figure out what the heck is the right thing to do in the first place.

In this instance, acting the fool. This isn't an eskimo killing his female babies to preserve the tribe or an abortion clinic kind of dilema. It's pretty cut and dry. The Greater Good mooks would have a fit about my department store gun-down but it's impossible to see anything from all the angles, so I wing it on one.

Psychology, in my VERY limited experience, has just put a few 4-5 syllable names to things I've known my whole life. You'd be surprised how much dazzle they put on common sense to impress themselves back in the day. I only took a semester though, so maybe it gets more involved.

In the defense of the students of behavior...behavior kicks an inner morality debates in the keister ALL the time (making it SO much more practical to study).

SOBER! Hangover's gone. If I wasn't working it'd be wine time.

Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 06:44 PM CDT
>>You must be incorrect. Its his major after all and he has written papers!!!

HER HER HER! Are you even reading the posts?

Third post summary:

-I'm content to let someone else argue. Let me know when I can come out from behind my mother.

Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 06:56 PM CDT
The Faceless Man in the Car isn't mine...I'd quote who's it is...but I can't remember. I stole it for my You are who you are spiel. Doesn't matter anyways...you don't need a degree to look up any of the hundreds of studies done of the internet, which is just a modernized version of the faceless man. THAT is behavior...the philosophy behind it is more what I was going for but you can't illustrate a philosophy without the behavior behind it.

Unless you're a fatalist. (yuk yuk)

Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 07:21 PM CDT
Hrm. I'm that other guy who was feuding with Redeth, and I must say I'm not the reporting kind of guy. I am the kind of guy however who will hold back when I know i've got way more skills then the other person, and while i certainly don't mind playing around with other people, i tend to hold back alot in those cases, and the first few times this was the case. I was looking for fun and Redeth being the way she is isn't going to report. However I tried telling her several times that i was deliberately holding back and it got to a point where I decided it was no longer necessary, simply cause if i had messed someone up enough and they were still standing i'd stop messing with him and consider it a draw, up until it came to a point where death had begun to happen way to many times. At that point I'm going to try and let you know more forcefully that I can and will waste you in a single shot, and those two times that i did it were an attempt to give her a hint (an albeit bad one, but still an attempt) even after I'd told her point blank. Didn't work. She got me to agree to not fight her unless it was in a duel and now at this point i am no longer inclined to pvp with her at all. Personally I think the dueling crap and the rules regarding pvp are completely stupid anyways simply because

1) the jackasses running around here who are going to run their mouths off in an attempt to get a response out of you and when you do finally do something they run away like pansies.

2) the guy who finally responded, based on my experience, is more likely to get berated and warned by the GM's rather then the jackass who was running his mouth and asking for it.

Personally I'd love the consent rules to go away or no gm intervention involved at all. This is an RPing game,
and while it's nice to have to have a reason to kill someone, it shouldn't be so black white.

end rant.
Now going back to a refuses to duel with redeth zone.

P.S.
I really don't give a flying rat's arse if this make's sense or not seeing as I probably won't come back to this forum again for another month.

Have a nice day.
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 07:28 PM CDT
>>I really don't give a flying rat's arse if this make's sense or not seeing as I probably won't come back to this forum again for another month.<<

In that month I'd suggest taking an English class or two?
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 08:00 PM CDT
>>Philosphy ties into everything because it deals with the moral stem of all motivation. The basics of right and wrong apply to EVERY situation, from nuking Japan to toasting your waffles. That people study things like behavioral sciences to find out WHY people act the way they do is a footnote (albeit a largely more profitable one) to the larger question at hand: What SHOULD people be doing? Doesn't matter what they're doing if we can't figure out what the heck is the right thing to do in the first place.

It is decidedly unreal to argue that inventing an ideal of humanity takes precedence before understanding what is human and why he is defined that way. Just as saying engineering and architecture are mere footnotes to the transcendent art of interior decorating. No matter how far and how long you run, you cannot escape man, and why should you want to? The painful secret of gods and kings is that men are free, Aegistheus.

>>Psychology, in my VERY limited experience, has just put a few 4-5 syllable names to things I've known my whole life.

Welcome to academics, enjoy your stay.

>>In the defense of the students of behavior...behavior kicks an inner morality debates in the keister ALL the time (making it SO much more practical to study).

Behavioralism is practical to study because it is the dominant modality of psychology in the United States. It is not remotely the bounds of the discipline, and your survey class did you a disservice if it gave you that impression.

-Armifer
"It is no longer possible to escape men. Farewell to the monsters, farewell to the saints. Farewell to pride. All that is left is men."
- Jean-Paul Sartre
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 08:36 PM CDT
It's a matter of debate which is more important now. But if you want the chicken or the egg...which evolved first? Laws of man or therapy?

Law beats reason with a big angry stick...all over the yard while momma watches and approves. If you were to strip away all that man has accomplished technologically you'd still have the LAW (or guidelines if you didn't retain SOME form of social structure.) It wouldn't be as your average westerner knows it...it wouldn't be uniform, just or even moral, but it would be difinitive.

You took Thag's woman, Thag stomps a mudhole in you...case closed. He doesn't want to rehabilitate you.

In a world beyond hunting/gathering where we can afford a few fripperies such as music and art and Oprah it gets jumbled and priorities shift. For our own 'civilized' world I'd be more inclined to think, as I said before, psychology is more pragmatic...if less definative and almost unapplicable in internet relations. For myself anyway.

Philosophy and the study of what is moral is the root though. Can't have society without law. Can't live without society in some form or another.

>>Just as saying engineering and architecture are mere footnotes to the transcendent art of interior decorating.

In that analogy I think philosophy would be the guy with the money...or maybe OSHA.

>>Welcome to academics, enjoy your stay.

Do I have to be nice cause you're a GM? I can't ever tell. Don't patronize me. It makes me grumpy. I love a good debate, I'm a woman...but I don't like when people patronize...it's like gloating before the fight is over.

>>Behavioralism is practical to study because it is the dominant modality of psychology in the United States. It is not remotely the bounds of the discipline, and your survey class did you a disservice if it gave you that impression.

I don't know what you got from my statement that prompted that...but I was more referring to the rarity of an internal struggle erring on the side of academics rather than gut feelings.

We didn't even finish our first argument. I'm not much for rapid fire debate, but this is fun so far.

I'm better on defense anways. ~Ho Chi Minh

Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 08:37 PM CDT
hey tard,
why don't you go play on the moon mage board where you belong.

thx,
have a nice day.
Re: Problem. 04/21/2008 08:46 PM CDT
Do they discuss philosophy over there? I found a few good internet blogs, but I get banned when I give some of more...liberal theories.

"Canned Granny" -Why we should stop burying our dead... (was just to grump out my professor)
"Hitler's Sixth Finger" -Why might makes right...
"Eskimo Hotel" -Why philosophy will never have a blanket law...
"Holy Trinity Batman!" -Why?

To name a few.

Prev_page Previous 1