Length of time for a Response 07/25/2009 01:47 PM CDT
hello everyone,

I am a new trader, and just out of my month's trial period. I was wondering if there is a length of time that you can respond to a theft in a pvp fashion (kill them/hire someone to kill them/hire a thief/graverob/trip them and run them over with the caravan etc..) and which are acceptable as forms of pvp. I doubt my trader will forget having the gold that he had stolen from him anytime soon, or the perpetrator. Especially considering that he was just starting to make profits. My trader is certainly in no condition to respond at the moment, hence my inquiry of a time limit. I do know that there is a time limitation on reporting it to the guards (who apparently hide any time they are in danger of being forced to listen to an accusation).

I did try to rp it out, however the player decided just to hide and not say a word (the reason why I, the player would like to have the person robbed blind and all but one of his favors taken away). It's a game, theft can be fun if it's rp'd out (it's imaginary money, no need to stress over it), but at least have the courtesy to rp it if its noticed. Otherwise don't steal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-dimensional_sequential_move_puzzles#External_links
Re: Length of time for a Response 07/25/2009 01:55 PM CDT
Yes, there is a length of time to respond to theft. Its usually nebulously defined as "a reasonable amount of time". I imagine for a gold being stolen this amount of time is rather short. If you're able to make contact with the thief and they agree to RP it out longer though, more power to you both!

Your other option is to report them to the guards for theft. This is actually a lot more desirable now than it has been in the past. From what I understand, the money is taken from the thief and given back to you. You have to actually have caught the person though, and not just suspected, and the amount of time to accuse them is relatively short.

Also, I'll mention that you should keep in mind that hiding and remaining silent could be exactly the way the thief's character is roleplayed. Just because it makes it more difficult for you, doesn't make it any less of a valid choice.

I wish you luck in your future dealings.

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: Length of time for a Response 07/25/2009 03:57 PM CDT
Perhaps you can explain the statement:

If you're able to make contact with the thief and they agree to RP it out longer though, more power to you both!

I'll explain it how I read that statement in regard to the rest of your post concerning rp.

It's acceptable for the thief to impose his unasked for rp on me as often as he likes because it's a short term interaction. It is a violation of policy for me to impose my unasked for rp on him unless I have his permission to do so because it's a long term rp interaction.

Is that the way that it is set up? I admit I only skimmed the policy concerning pvp actions, but attempting to rp an incident over few gold in order to meet people/characters in game and develop a story/rp concerning my characters first attempts at trading aren't worth getting an account warned/banned. I was simply trying to take an opportunity that presented itself (thus my irritation at lack of interaction).

It occurred on a ferry, I caught him once (he probably really messed up on his attempt) at the beginning of the trip, and the guard was unwilling to acknowledge my accusation when I found him (probably took to long to find the guard). The guard house told me that there was no one there to listen to my accusation.

I understand this subject has probably been beaten to death, but I'm just making sure that I understand your explanation correctly.

After exploring the boards more I also realize that I should have posted this under policy discussions/stealing. Sorry that I did post this here, I just tend to go straight to the traders folder to search for answers to questions that I may have. Any further questions/responses by me will be under the correct folder.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-dimensional_sequential_move_puzzles#External_links
Re: Length of time for a Response 07/25/2009 04:14 PM CDT
I'll reply to you here, just because I am too lazy to find the correct folder at the moment. A mod can punish me appropriately later. :P

<<It's acceptable for the thief to impose his unasked for rp on me as often as he likes because it's a short term interaction. It is a violation of policy for me to impose my unasked for rp on him unless I have his permission to do so because it's a long term rp interaction.

If the thief continues to do it to the point of harassment then its not okay. The point where it becomes harassment is, again, rather nebulous and vague. You're well within policy to seek a pvp solution to the theft. The reason why I suggested it happen sooner rather than later is because there is a 'reasonable amount of time' factored into these things by staff. Only they can decide what this is, its often seemingly arbitrary, and changes based on which staff member you talk to. This is also why I suggested getting in touch with the thief to get clear consent from him to take this long term, if its something you wish to do.

Policy is a tricky subject because it is intentionally vague and left up to the discretion of the individual GM handles a particular case. Many of us don't agree with how vague and how much leeway a GM is given in interpreting the policy, but thats just the way it is. You should always feel free to use the assist verb in game and ask for a ruling if things become too murky for you and you don't want to cross the line.

As to your ability to accuse, I don't know if a ferry is considered within the jurisdiction of the town's justice or not. I believe traders have other options regarding being stolen from on trade routes, but that would be best asked in the trader folder or of a knowledgeable trader in game.

I wish you luck in any further interactions with this character, and others. Have fun! :)

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: Length of time for a Response 07/25/2009 05:36 PM CDT
i notice you said you accused to a town guard. as a trader if you had a caravan out, you can accuse to the TRADER outpost <in front of the minister or clerk> to which you are going. The only time you can accuse to a town guard is when the theft happens in town. Since you mentioned you were on the ferry, those are considered " on a trade route", not in town.

The undead hordes would like to take this moment to remind you that they are quite happy to eat your brains so that you may test new depart.Please consider it.Hugs and kisses, Team Necro.
Re: Length of time for a Response 07/30/2009 01:06 PM CDT
Ah, thank you. Sorry for the delay in my response, time has been tight lately. Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding Gerogiepoo, I found the policy to be vague (at least to me when I read it, but the documents I've been scanning lately in real life research have me looking for hidden meanings/messages/double speak and i've realized that it is influencing my the rest of my life far more than I like), and didn't know about the different areas for accusations Maccabee1, so thank you as well.
Re: Length of time for a Response 06/14/2013 03:24 AM CDT
>i notice you said you accused to a town guard. as a trader if you had a caravan out, you can accuse to the TRADER outpost <in front of the minister or clerk> to which you are going. The only time you can accuse to a town guard is when the theft happens in town. Since you mentioned you were on the ferry, those are considered " on a trade route", not in town.

Is this still true?

Captain Jack: "Who looks at a screwdriver and thinks 'Oooh, this could be a little more sonic'?"
The Doctor: "What? You never been bored? Never had a long night? Never had a lot of cabinets to put up?"
Re: Length of time for a Response 06/14/2013 07:09 AM CDT
>>Is this still true?

Ayup.
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Accuse_command#Trader_Use
Re: Length of time for a Response 06/14/2013 07:46 AM CDT
Wonderful, thanks!

Captain Jack: "Who looks at a screwdriver and thinks 'Oooh, this could be a little more sonic'?"
The Doctor: "What? You never been bored? Never had a long night? Never had a lot of cabinets to put up?"