Shoplifting 02/24/2008 08:35 AM CST
Is there any reason I should not steal from shops and stores to learn stealing? Way back I was told learning stealing could help, but was warned not to steal from shops - instead steal from player-characters?
Re: Shoplifting 02/24/2008 09:01 AM CST
Professional courtesy? ;)

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Shoplifting 02/24/2008 09:04 AM CST
So "technically" there's no harm in stealin from shops? Nothing that would hurt my ability to trade/make a profit/interact with the guild... etc, etc... ?
Re: Shoplifting 02/24/2008 09:46 AM CST
That we know of yet.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Shoplifting 02/24/2008 10:05 AM CST
As a circle 50 trader, its is my preferred means of training stealing. For a while I was introducing myself as 'Shoplifter Bedan, Retailer of Ilithi' using both our and the criminal titles.

Its a cutthroat market out there and as far as I can tell, the NPC merchants were the ones that destroyed my very short career as a sutler because players seemed to be willing to jump on a ship and just buy from them. Besides, aren't you a little bitter that they get a full shop to sell goods that are all inferior to the lowliest of junk I keep in my vault whereas we only get a cheap table to display the finest goods in Elanthia?

Yeah, as a trader, I feel a little bit better inside everytime I reappropriate the wealth to the real merchants in the lands.

- Bedan, the limbless.
Re: Shoplifting 02/24/2008 11:08 AM CST
Actually, I just tested this about a week ago. I got caught three times down in Shard on purpose. I noticed that my contracts from running caravan routes dropped around 5-20%. Though I'd have to do more testing to get some numbers, which i'm not sure I'd like to try.

Also, gem pouch selling was affected. I have been running tests on our bonus here (Think I know how it works for the most part now, and will be posting results in a few days). Seems to hurt your "reputation," lowering your Charisma.

Other than that, found no adverse effects. I was able to circle, rent tables, and all the rest of stuff we can use.

And if you are going to start, remember just to steal those items you know you can get once or twice. Flight glue, water and charcoal make nice starting items. Make sure you have no wounds. Do not wear any type of armor. Keep your encumbrance at lowest possible level. They say the timer on a shop is 10-15 minutes?? I usually make it 20 to be sure.
Re: Shoplifting 02/24/2008 12:42 PM CST
>> Actually, I just tested this about a week ago. I got caught three times down in Shard on purpose. I noticed that my contracts from running caravan routes dropped around 5-20%. Though I'd have to do more testing to get some numbers, which i'm not sure I'd like to try.

>> Also, gem pouch selling was affected. I have been running tests on our bonus here (Think I know how it works for the most part now, and will be posting results in a few days). Seems to hurt your "reputation," lowering your Charisma.

I guess nobody would know this but, if this is true... will your damaged reputation improve over time?
Re: Shoplifting 02/25/2008 03:07 PM CST
>>I guess nobody would know this but, if this is true... will your damaged reputation improve over time?

I know as a bard, when im busted i lose some of what we call 'mojo'. We can recover that thru time, but faster thru playing instruments, our primary lore. Have you tried running some contracts or selling a a lot of items?

Robo

The internet? Is that thing still around?

-Homer Simpson
Re: Shoplifting 02/25/2008 07:17 PM CST
My reputation did improve over time. My contracts went back up to where they were before. Plus when I got caught again, my fines were back at a first offense, so know it works. Of course, justice rewrite is in QC, so all this is just info for a short bit.
Re: Shoplifting 02/26/2008 03:54 PM CST
I haven't run any routes (yet) but wanted to be sure that my recent or ongoing theft against shops won't permanantly harm my trader's (now 6th circle) abilities to make the best profits he can later on down the road, or at least recover to full potential with time.
Shoplifting Messaging 03/30/2008 12:43 PM CDT
So when you fill your pool in stealing for traders:

HR>steal arrowhead
Moving stealthily, you manage to grab a serrated-bodkin arrowhead right from underneath a sales clerk's very nose.
You feel that for the moment you've learned all you can about hostile takeovers.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
Re: Shoplifting Messaging 03/30/2008 12:53 PM CDT
thanks! been trying to collect the messaging for all the guilds.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Shoplifting Messaging 03/30/2008 12:54 PM CDT
thief - knocking over shops
trader - hostile takeovers
empath - harming shopkeepers.

anyone know any of the others?

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Shoplifting Messaging 03/31/2008 12:40 PM CDT
moon mage (unsected) - acting like a tezirite
Re: Shoplifting Messaging 03/31/2008 02:27 PM CDT
bard - putting one over on the dupes.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"