Theft via caravan joining 07/24/2007 10:33 PM CDT
Maybe i missed it in the slew of these posts. but i pose a question i've been unable to find answer for. how is a trader to defend him/herself from a thief that joins his/her caravan and repeatedly steals from the trader, when the trader fails to have good hiding to avoid the pointing of the thief?
Re: Theft via caravan joining 07/24/2007 11:52 PM CDT
Set your avoids. Dragging, joining, holding, and just for the principal of the matter, dancing.
___
>
The guard stares at you and swears. The guard says, "I do not see why you even bother living."
Re: Theft via caravan joining 07/25/2007 01:36 AM CDT
In some situations dancing affects[ed] group mechanics, hence why the avoid was needed.
Re: Theft via caravan joining 07/25/2007 09:32 AM CDT
And here I thought I was just being silly.

___
>
The guard stares at you and swears. The guard says, "I do not see why you even bother living."
Re: Theft via caravan joining 07/25/2007 11:18 AM CDT
If you have a gweth, ask for someone to guard you. Have them deal with said thief.

Avoids are helpful as well. If you really care enough, buy an inviso ring. They won't be able to point you out of invisibility. Not the perfect solution, but its one of many.

The Upright Man
Re: Theft via caravan joining 07/25/2007 11:19 AM CDT
>>If you really care enough, buy an inviso ring. They won't be able to point you out of invisibility.

I had thought this had changed with recent stealth changes? Am I thinking of something else?

Jaedren says, "Alas, no Khri Ronco (Set it and forget it!). Woe."
Re: Theft via caravan joining 07/25/2007 11:24 AM CDT
You search around for a moment.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You notice the vague silhouette of XXXX.
R>point XXXX

I could not find what you were referring to.

The Upright Man
Re: Theft via caravan joining 07/25/2007 12:44 PM CDT
You can't point, and you can't target, but you can face the person, attack, etc. More of an issue in prime than TF due to consent.
Re: Theft via caravan joining 07/25/2007 03:38 PM CDT
In addition, the WATCH verb is your friend.

The Upright Man
Re: Theft via caravan joining 07/25/2007 04:01 PM CDT
if you're catching 'em, you DO Know about accusing to the shipping clerk, yes?

that'll usually put anyone but a guilded empath-thief out of commission for a bit. :-)

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Theft via caravan joining 07/25/2007 04:57 PM CDT
>>how is a trader to defend him/herself from a thief that joins his/her caravan and repeatedly steals from the trader, when the trader fails to have good hiding to avoid the pointing of the thief?

Trade in Zoluren (seriously, it's so easy to trade there that it's inevitably going to get nerfed in some way), and deposit coins in the nearest bank every time you visit any outpost (if you're getting tagged by thieves, do it every time you turn in a contract instead of turning them all in at once):

Wolf Clan, Tiger Clan, Crossings, Arthe - deposit in Crossings
Stone Clan, Dirge -- deposit in Dirge
Leth Deriel -- deposit in Leth
Ilaya Taipa -- deposit in Ilaya

Four banks, and not a single outpost is more than a handful of seconds away from one (Crossing, Dirge, Leth, and Ilaya are actually literally within 5 rooms or so of the outpost, with the one in Ilaya being right there where the outpost is).

A lone thief won't be able to significantly bother you in this province, no matter how much skill they have.

If you want to hide and sneak around, doing so with less than 300 copper means a thief can't snag any coins along the way.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Theft via caravan joining 07/25/2007 07:01 PM CDT
One thing that helps a lot is when you're coming back from the Clans run by the bank before you even head south towards the guild. That ensures any larger coins you have are safely desposited. Many of the commonly available scripts go to the guild and you can easily lose any unprotected golds to the normal teefs outside the doors.

I keep a few small scripts for automatic bank runs anytime I'm near a bank.

Let 'em eat copper!

-=Dirge. Come for the ossuary. Stay for the ash.=-
Re: Theft via caravan joining 07/28/2007 08:52 PM CDT

Using avoids in this situation should be considered OOC and mech abuse. Jeeze people it's a game. Role play it out.

Prescious
Re: Theft via caravan joining 07/29/2007 07:48 AM CDT
...says the trader that sits in the non-steal zone of the market tent all day...

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Theft via caravan joining 07/29/2007 04:44 PM CDT
Is using avoids Mech Abuse? They wouldn't have them at all if there weren't a reason -- if you weren't supposed to use them while trading/training/hunting, what's the point of using them (except for a certain guild using Avoid Sing)?

What about using a horse to discourage Thieves? Or the old massive amounts of copper or cheap gems or cursed gems (which no longer work)? Having another character hold the money? Protect coin for the usual spots? Leading while hiding? Disband?

I've seen all of these as a Thief. And these are encouraged by other Traders, and I'm pretty sure I've seen the majority of route-runners using at least one of these when I used to steal from you guys (before the new stealing).
___
>
Re: Theft via caravan joining 07/30/2007 12:53 PM CDT
I ran the roads for many years and never used gems or small coins to avoid theft. I am 100 percent against no steal zones and if you look back through posts you'll see that when the market became no steal when DR2 opened "I" complained about it.

Prescious
Re: Theft via caravan joining 09/26/2007 09:14 AM CDT
As a note to Prescious, you probably have enough perception to CATCH the thieves. Alot of babies can't.. like myself.
As a note to OP, moneybelts are good, but I don't know where to get them.
Re: Theft via caravan joining 09/26/2007 06:46 PM CDT
I don't understand the economics behind moneybelts. It just doesn't seem to me they will ever save as much money as they cost.

~ S.S.
Re: Theft via caravan joining 09/26/2007 07:08 PM CDT
>I don't understand the economics behind moneybelts. It just doesn't seem to me they will ever save as much money as they cost.

You can resell them later, so the purchase price isn't really a cost, more of an investment.
Re: Theft via caravan joining 09/26/2007 07:44 PM CDT
well, considering when they were first sold by a merchant they were 15 plats. :-)

of course that WAS expensive at the time.

oldtimer.

Re: Theft via caravan joining 09/26/2007 08:41 PM CDT
*>>I don't understand the economics behind moneybelts. It just doesn't seem to me they will ever save as much money as they cost.<<

I can understand regular moneybelts. They hold 15 coins.

To a lesser extent I understand the smaller moneybelts in the LTB bungalow.

But paying hundreds of plats for an eyepatch or coinpurse is crazy.

They can only protect 1 coin.

How does that ever pay for itself?

-=Dirge. Come for the ossuary. Stay for the ash.=-