Thieves on the Ferry 09/11/2005 06:20 PM CDT
Thought I'd post the names of two themes who wait on the Let ferry to point out hiding traders and steal from them:
Tiska
Setzic

Thought the Thieves guild had standards, but apparently the method is ok, so I thought you'd all like to know.

Player of:
Adzul the Cleric
Linus the Empath
Ignatius the Cleric
Ocatvius the Trader
Re: Thieves on the Ferry 09/11/2005 07:03 PM CDT
I think there is some sort of system where older theives can turn in young thieves that use those sorts of practices.

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others." ~~ G.O.

Re: Thieves on the Ferry 09/11/2005 07:43 PM CDT
No kidding? Well, my respect for that guild has climbed.

Player of:
Adzul the Cleric
Linus the Empath
Ignatius the Cleric
Ocatvius the Trader
Re: Thieves on the Ferry 09/12/2005 01:38 AM CDT
To my defense.

1. It was 1 ride on the ferry. I was not riding it back and forth a bunch of times to steal.

2. I know this is not a place to get any pity, but until we have a way to act on you in hiding, it is the only way to steal from you. I could create a script in which I could trade from hiding and you would have 0 chance to steal anything from me if you followed no point ethics.

So before you go shouting," I thought thieves have standards" realize it's a risk vs reward game and thieves are your risk. I am only two months guilded and stealing isn't even in my top 8 survivals. Just two days ago I had 40 in it. I think it'd be well worth your time to train any sort of thief prevention skills instead of hiding behind how unfair it is to point. Protect coin, watch, juggle...

'A place to discuss theft, how to handle it, deal with or protect yourself against it. Feel free to offer advice to those in need who are having a problem losing their money due to theft. The use of this folder does NOT allow the flamming of individuals who practice the art, take those problems to conflicts, in a CIVIL manner.'

~Setzic
Re: Thieves on the Ferry 09/12/2005 05:20 AM CDT
A) We can't trade from hiding - plenty of other 'open room' places to practice your theft -- I know this from plenty experience (one could twist an ankle tripping over you guys hidden outside our guild for example

B) The ferries are still a place where there is no where to avoid the practice

C) It is still a valid warning to the other traders -- and still a place where you enjoy an unfair advantage

Player of:
Adzul the Cleric
Linus the Empath
Ignatius the Cleric
Ocatvius the Trader
Re: Thieves on the Ferry 09/12/2005 09:53 AM CDT

<<I think there is some sort of system where older thieves can turn in young thieves that use those sorts of practices.>>

huh?

there is no such thing. only system we have is for those non-thieves that steal from thieves.

schvartz

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Thieves on the Ferry 09/12/2005 12:13 PM CDT
I have a little trader myself. And I'll admit as much as the next guy, that getting stolen from doesn't just make my day. However, I will never cry foul when I get pointed out of hiding and stolen from. I really just can't expect 30 ranks of hiding to protect me from theft. It's definately jerky of them, but it's their right to make use of the perception and stealing ranks they've earned. I just try to take care of it IC for the next time. I try to get high level characters to guard me, and go fishing for the thieves again.

-Wighten
Re: Thieves on the Ferry 09/12/2005 12:24 PM CDT
ok so if i get you right youve played both so you understand thieves have a much bigger advantage over traders when it comes to stealing from them mostly because of how our skill sets are
where thieves have stealing primary and get a bonus off of agility and if they are in the city they get another bonus traders have perception secondary and get no other bonus however they can learn stealing to try and off set it but stealing again is secondary and then theres the issue of finding somone that is willing to help you learn stealing because of it being secondary it takes a long time to learn it.
Re: Thieves on the Ferry 09/12/2005 12:25 PM CDT
oh ya and i forgot to mention who wants to follow a trader all day long when theyve got better things to do.
Re: Thieves on the Ferry 09/12/2005 12:50 PM CDT
Don't forget some of your tools like "watch."

If a thief points you out of hiding during your route, watch them. They're in RT from the point. I don't think most thieves are clever enough to steal in pairs yet. Use you heavier pockets to notice thieves in the area also.

I'm an old player new character...but thieves steal more out of hiding but stealthier in hiding correct?

~Setzic
Re: Thieves on the Ferry 09/12/2005 01:20 PM CDT
I have no problems with thieves as a guild, but what I hate is the attutide that because we don't sit out there and hunt to make our coin that we're sitting ducks. We train as much as everyone else when it comes to trying to combat stealing, but we're also the ones with the most problems because thieves, guilded or not, know we have to carry coin to every outpost, and it still does help. Thus far guilded thieves have every advantage in cities as the only ones I've caught, ever, were non-guilded, and unless our guild leaders decide otherwise, that isn't changing any time soon I fear. And yet when we try to protect our coins by hiding with whatever paltry defenses that we have, it still isn't good enough for some people.

If you're going to screw over traders no matter what, at least get the ones that don't scream back at you when you point them out of hiding? Surely they are more deserving of getting fleeced of their earnings since they're not even in their heads?

Erinenne
Re: Thieves on the Ferry 09/12/2005 01:21 PM CDT
>>ok so if i get you right youve played both so you understand thieves have a much bigger advantage over traders when it comes to stealing from them mostly because of how our skill sets are

Thieves have an advantage of learning stealing and perception faster. I would agree with that. I don't necessarily agree that it gives them the advantage in the entire theft. Stealing is complicated system. You know as well as I do, that unless you have plats in your pocket, one grab doesn't mean anything. The danger to a trader is a thief that can get 5-6 grabs or more, and completely clean you out. To accomplish that, they're going to need MUCH higher skills than the trader. More than a mere skillset imbalance will give. Not only that, but coupled with the fact that you can have an open gem pouch, 3000 coppers on you, protect coin for those couple big ones, and you have a lot of options.

As someone who's both traded the routes, and stolen the routes. The only traders that make worthwhile targets are the lazy ones. Even when my trader gets ambushed on the ferries, pointed out of hiding, etc. He won't lose more than 6-8 silver. You just have to know what to do to minimize loss.

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to see more anti-theft deterent systems for traders. Boosts to hiding, stealing, and perception wouldn't be out of the question at all. There also needs to be a better justice system on the ferries. Like... if you're caught stealing, you can accuse them to the captain, and they'll be drug the rest of the way by a rope through the water. I merely don't think it's abuse of the system to use point.

-Wighten
Re: Thieves on the Ferry 09/12/2005 01:42 PM CDT
>The danger to a trader is a thief that can get 5-6 grabs or more, and completely clean you out.

Good trick up against a couple thousand copper. Eh, the danger to the trader, I see, is the thief that doesn't run when spotted. I run a thief with my trader and they practice on each other. Works pretty well, actually.

The worst I've ever had it was someone who wouldn't go away until they realized that the fairly good sized paladin standing right there was kin and was ready to pound the little fool into the ground, consent or no. Then they ran. I think they might have gotten a gold worth. Big whoop. Normally I can't even tell in the 'noise' from all that copper and bronze.

>The only traders that make worthwhile targets are the lazy ones.

My usuall thing to yell at thieves is, "I'm awake. Go pick on someone who isn't!" And, usually, they do.

>There also needs to be a better justice system on the ferries.

Yeah, or even just be able to thug 'em and/or keelhaul 'em by accusing them to the captain.
Re: Thieves on the Ferry 09/12/2005 04:40 PM CDT
>>know we have to carry coin to every outpost

As all novice traders know, you don't need a single coin to lead a caravan or pack animal. If you're worried about thievery that much, bank your money and only rush around with it when you need to pay down debt and such. Sure, it'll be a bit longer but a few seconds isn't really going to kill your income.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Thieves on the Ferry 09/13/2005 11:58 AM CDT
>Sure, it'll be a bit longer but a few seconds isn't really going to kill your income.

a second adds up.
Re: Thieves on the Ferry 09/13/2005 12:12 PM CDT
seconds turn into minutes minutes turn into hours hours turn into days and when you relize it you have missed the chance to make hundreds of plat