How do I handle this? 02/09/2004 03:24 PM CST
Was on the ferry from Crossing to Leth was pointed out while hiding then stole from. Is that my bad luck. 2 others on ferry with me in the open. One of them pointed me out. I searched but found no one. How should I have handled that? Atalas.

Re: How do I handle this? 02/09/2004 03:31 PM CST
report them. It looks like mechanics abuse.

~Broker Teloxius
Re: How do I handle this? 02/09/2004 04:40 PM CST
How is this mechanics abuse?
Sorry, I just don't see it.
From what I read, either the thief was good at hiding, or was one of the two in the open and was good enough not to get caught. That's not abuse, that's skill, and skill... you just gotta deal with.

-Markhor
Re: How do I handle this? 02/09/2004 06:24 PM CST
I assist and was told nothing they could do. I just chalked it up to a hard lesson learned. Atalas.
Re: How do I handle this? 02/09/2004 06:38 PM CST
oh well, worth a try. It was just a cheap stealing tactic is all.

~Broker Teloxius
Re: How do I handle this? 02/09/2004 06:56 PM CST
* ??????? was just struck down! I did get a little satisfaction. But not the other one yet. Atalas.
Re: How do I handle this? 02/09/2004 07:54 PM CST
Only situation that you can report for theft nowadays is if the pickpocket follows you around repeatedly pointing and stealing from you. That would be harrasement and not mech abuse though.

http://www.drtraders.net/gallery
Re: How do I handle this? 02/09/2004 09:37 PM CST
Id say even if a teef followed you around pointing and stealing thats just bad luck. Id suggest banking more often and carrying less coin.......they seem to bother you less if the profit is not as good.

Muleskinner Elsulose

PS - They will always bother you, they are thiefs after all !!! Report em if ya catch em, if ya dont just consider it road tax.
Re: How do I handle this? 02/09/2004 09:47 PM CST
Some follow you around trying to get consent for PVP rather than coin. does not happen much anymore but used to be a big problem

http://www.drtraders.net/gallery
Re: How do I handle this? 02/09/2004 10:45 PM CST
<<Was on the ferry from Crossing to Leth was pointed out while hiding then stole from. Is that my bad luck. 2 others on ferry with me in the open. One of them pointed me out. I searched but found no one. How should I have handled that? Atalas. >>

Atalas, sorry to hear your bad experience.. there's not much more you could have done in your case because you didn't actually catch them..

If you did, you might be able to get Trader guards on them (someone remind me how to do that again...);

Otherwise, here are some other tactics I've heard other people suggest:

1. Try not to get mad. Start talking friendly to the thieves, or say something funny. "Oh my, I didn't realize you felt so fondly about my pockets." or "Thanks, I'll be sure to carry more coppers from now on." or just start singing their names real loud and obnoxiously.

2. Bank more, carry coppers more.

3. Train more in perception, hiding, and stealing.

4. Highlight their names, then offer to sell their pouches.

-Veii

Veii's Veranda : http://drveii.mysitespace.com
- The Index of Trader Services -
- An Origami Calculator -
Re: How do I handle this? 02/10/2004 05:47 PM CST
Thanks for the suggestions. I have never trained any stealing was never really sure I wanted to or how I could. Atalas.
Re: How do I handle this? 02/10/2004 09:40 PM CST
<<I have never trained any stealing was never really sure I wanted to or how I could. >>

Find people you trust to train with you. Traders have a social every Tuesday at 10:00 pm EST.

-Veii

Veii's Veranda : http://drveii.mysitespace.com
- The Index of Trader Services -
- An Origami Calculator -
Re: How do I handle this? 02/11/2004 06:18 PM CST
Thank you. I want to thank everyone for all the replys. Everyones been very helpful. Atalas.
Re: How do I handle this? 02/13/2004 01:01 PM CST
<<1. Try not to get mad. Start talking friendly to the thieves, or say something funny. "Oh my, I didn't realize you felt so fondly about my pockets." or "Thanks, I'll be sure to carry more coppers from now on." or just start singing their names real loud and obnoxiously.>>

Exactly. You could always say something suggestive, like "Heyyyyy cutie, wanna head to an inn so you can put those hands back in my pockets?" and start winking at them and flirting with them. I bet they'd either laugh or get freaked out. If they laugh they probably won't be stealing from you any more, and if they're freaked out they'll probably leave.

~Raycha

"We're glad pictures not." -Smegul

"OMG LOLLERSKATES!"
Re: How do I handle this? 02/15/2004 10:09 AM CST
You could always say something suggestive, like "Heyyyyy cutie, wanna head to an inn so you can put those hands back in my pockets?" and start winking at them and flirting with them.

Hey! thats my normal pickup line!

Canten
Re: How do I handle this? 02/15/2004 01:58 PM CST
what I do is highlight their name. Every time I end up in a room they are in and there are people around, I do my civic duty and warn EVERYONE. I'll say something to the effect of: "Watch your pockets everyone, [bleep] is a thief."
It usually ticks the offender off and I get the satisfaction of both letting people know to beware and the satisfaction of them feeling the anger from being aggravated like I was.

Amazingly enough, no one's bothered me since!

-Lunartik
Re: How do I handle this? 02/15/2004 06:52 PM CST
great plan lunartik. If they steal from you over and over, that's what they should get.

~Broker Teloxius
Re: How do I handle this? 02/16/2004 10:50 AM CST
actually from the other side of the alley, if i'm just traveling minding my own business, and someone were to start yammering like that, I'd be more inclined to pick them dry than if they didn't open their yap.

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: How do I handle this? 02/17/2004 02:13 PM CST
I married someone about 60 circles above me. Marriage is a wonderful thing......