Prev_page Previous 1 3
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 09:56 AM CST
First of all, awesome work on this release! I'm loving the flavor of the magic; the descriptions are awesome, and feel just right for what Traders should be doing in terms of magic.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, but I have some quick feedback regarding typos and possible bugs:

* I can't prep crystal dart by typing "target crystal dart" like most other TM spells. I need to prep and then target as two separate commands. When I try to just target, I get the message, "You have no idea how to cast that spell."
* Perhaps you could list the shorthand names of the spells? I can't figure out how to refer to (either prep or discern) Mask of the Moons or Last Gift of Vithwok IV. Using the full names or anything I can think of as shorthand is not working.
* Apostrophes in the discerns are showing up as an unknown character for me (it's possible that this is just my front-end, I guess). For example, in crystal dart: "One of the simplest manifestations of crauyarin at a lunar mage�s disposal".
* In the first sentence of the Noumena discern, reality is spelled "relaity."
* Traders cannot currently learn spell feats. I don't know if this is intended, or just a function of the system still being on preview.

I'll keep posting as I find things. Really enjoying the spells so far -- thank you, Armifer and team!
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 10:04 AM CST
>* I can't prep crystal dart by typing "target crystal dart" like most other TM spells. I need to prep and then target as two separate commands. When I try to just target, I get the message, "You have no idea how to cast that spell."

targ crd works fine

>* Perhaps you could list the shorthand names of the spells? I can't figure out how to refer to (either prep or discern) Mask of the Moons or Last Gift of Vithwok IV. Using the full names or anything I can think of as shorthand is not working.

I agree! LGV works for Last Gift, MOM for Moons.

>* Apostrophes in the discerns are showing up as an unknown character for me (it's possible that this is just my front-end, I guess). For example, in crystal dart: "One of the simplest manifestations of crauyarin at a lunar mage�s disposal".

Does appear to be an FE issue. Working fine on Genie.
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 10:06 AM CST
Yes, yes, please yes on the short hand for these spells!
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 10:07 AM CST

Platinum Hands is PHK
Mask of the Moons is MOM
Last Gift of Vithwok IV is LGV
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 10:09 AM CST
Meant to roll this into my previous post.

Liking Trader Magic so far!

A note for those that haven't played a Moon Mage before - You can PERCEIVE, PERCEIVE <moon> and PERCEIVE <spellbook name> to learn Attunement.

Xibar is a third quarter moon set in the western sky.
You're certain that Xibar is forty degrees above the western horizon.
It is contributing a moderately strong amount of mana.
Roundtime: 11 sec.

> perc fabrication

You reach out with your weak senses and see bright (3/3) streams of cold, white Lunar mana available for the Fabrication book.
Roundtime: 6 sec.
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 10:13 AM CST
I'm sure I'm forgetting some but you can also PERCEIVE MOONS.
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 10:41 AM CST

You can also perceive mana and perceive planets like a moon mage.
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 10:44 AM CST
>>* Perhaps you could list the shorthand names of the spells? I can't figure out how to refer to (either prep or discern) Mask of the Moons or Last Gift of Vithwok IV. Using the full names or anything I can think of as shorthand is not working.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Traders/Game%20Master%20and%20Official%20Announcements/view/314

>>* In the first sentence of the Noumena discern, reality is spelled "relaity."
>>* Traders cannot currently learn spell feats. I don't know if this is intended, or just a function of the system still being on preview.

Both fixed!

GM Grejuva
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 10:44 AM CST
Perceive MANA for all three spell books at once.

Perceive AURA to see your personal AURA.

Question, perceive moons is teaching Trading along with attunement. I assume this is because it teaches astrology for moonies. Intended for traders?
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 10:54 AM CST

It's a very minimal amount, so please don't change this. Consider it compensation for nerfing the speculates without grandfathering?
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 11:15 AM CST
>>Question, perceive moons is teaching Trading along with attunement. I assume this is because it teaches astrology for moonies. Intended for traders?

Not intended.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 11:39 AM CST
Perceiving the degree of the moons now contests and teaches Scholarship for Traders instead of, uh, Trading. Happy astronomy-ing.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 11:55 AM CST

> Perceiving the degree of the moons now contests and teaches Scholarship for Traders instead of, uh, Trading. Happy astronomy-ing.

:(
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 02:12 PM CST
I was hoping since we could learn trading that we could eventually sell it!

Traders know the way, Rangers lose the way, Clerics praise the way, Bards sing the way, Mages shape the way, Barbarians beat the way, Empaths heal the way, Thieves take the way, Paladins lead the way.
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 03:21 PM CST
Hooray! Best present ever!

Of some note, PERCEIVE HELP tells all the various types of perceives we can do. There is a typo there of "information" in the aura section. Also a missing return before "General Usage:" at the top.

My personal favorite and recommendation is PERC MANA.

Also, now that we are full fledged MUs, we might want to get the teaching messages fixed for magic skills. Currently:

>listen to XX
You're not sure what use the Targeted Magic skill could ever be to you, but you don't see any harm in listening to XX.

As for Elision, I am psyched for someone to eventually be able to cast this. Still wondering based on the DISCERN what it actually does:

"Elision is a ritual spell that projects hallucination, unawareness, and concealment. Attackers will have difficulty finding one's exact position and might only strike air without realizing it. However, other spells cannot be averted thus."

Is it just a better form of Blur, i.e. Evasion bonus? Stealth bonus? Based on the hype I thought it would be more, so maybe just a flat out improved chance to avoid hits regardless of skill? Or it somehow makes it appear we're being injured when in fact we aren't?

- Navesi
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 03:35 PM CST
>>Is it just a better form of Blur, i.e. Evasion bonus? Stealth bonus? Based on the hype I thought it would be more, so maybe just a flat out improved chance to avoid hits regardless of skill? Or it somehow makes it appear we're being injured when in fact we aren't?

Nope, nope, closer but nope, and nope.

I'm being a little cagey to both preserve the mystery and because I am on the edge of pre-nerfing it a little. It's a pretty insane defensive spell as it stands.

-Armifer
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 03:35 PM CST

> "Elision is a ritual spell that projects hallucination, unawareness, and concealment. Attackers will have difficulty finding one's exact position and might only strike air without realizing it. However, other spells cannot be averted thus."

My theory is a percent chance of immunity to an attack.
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 04:01 PM CST
>>I'm being a little cagey to both preserve the mystery and because I am on the edge of pre-nerfing it a little. It's a pretty insane defensive spell as it stands.

Based on this (and that CH is sadly due for some kind of similar nerfing once the barrier review hits), my gut feeling is leaning toward it being like the damage reduction aspect of CH, only instead of "hardened scales absorbing damage" it's "illusion woo making someone not hit as well" which essentially also functions as damage absorption.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 04:07 PM CST
>>Nope, nope, closer but nope, and nope.

Someone get to training so we can find out!

Also for anyone else struggling, Membrach's Greed --> MEG.

I guess in this case it's not short for Megatron.

- Navesi
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 04:11 PM CST
Arbiter's Stylus: ARS
Avren Aevarae: AVA
Crystal Dart: CRD
Last Gift of Vithwok IV: LGV
Mask of the Moons: MOM
Membrach's Greed: MEG
Platinum Hands of Kertigen: PHK
Stellar Collector: STC
Trabe Chalice: TRC
Turmar Illumination: TURI

-Armifer
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 07:11 PM CST
Can any of the spells released for preview be cast indoors?

I love everything about the holidays: the decorations, the parties, and spending time with friends and family. What I love most is that feeling of giving back. Every bit counts. Brad Goreski
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.c
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 07:15 PM CST
The current stock of Noematics spells have no environmental requirements.

-Armifer
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 07:22 PM CST
1. Big thank you to everyone that worked on getting Trader Magic released. I'm really looking forward to being able to cast some of these spells.

>>Showcasing the sturdiness and versatility of Trabe crystal, Regalia ensconces its caster in glittering armor, provided they are not already protected as such. The caster's defensive skill and predilections will determine which type of armor the spell manifests, while knowledge of the corresponding crafting techniques allows for the creation of even stronger pieces.

2. Did... did we get moon armor?

3. Elision and Resumption don't list any requirements or spell slot costs in the discern/ask messaging.

“I’m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.”
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 07:29 PM CST
>>2. Did... did we get moon armor?

And Shape Moonarmor.

>>3. Elision and Resumption don't list any requirements or spell slot costs in the discern/ask messaging.

Elision's requirements are 80th circle and all other Illusion spells. It costs 3 slots.

Resumption's requirements are all other Noematics spells. It costs 1 slot.

(We have a "mastery" Fabrication spell planned as well, but it didn't make the cut for release.)

-Armifer
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 07:34 PM CST
How do "mastery" spells work in the scope of future spells coming out in their respective books?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 07:40 PM CST
>>How do "mastery" spells work in the scope of future spells coming out in their respective books?

We have a specific target of number of spells they'll require, and will probably just continue to up the requirement until we reach it and not any further than that.

-Armifer
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 09:20 PM CST
Dunno if I should post this somewhere else also. With Lunar Magic now being our thing, it's not showing up in the Field Experience window in StormFront. If this needs to be posted somewhere else, let me know. Thanks
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 09:32 PM CST
Thank you all so much for all your hard work on these spells!

In a non-sequitur that may amuse you, I sometimes choose to wear scents themed to my activities. Today's are "Veritas" and "Odin."

Further comments and questions as I become more familiar with these spells:

First, I've noticed that fewer spells than I expected are listed in Discern as requiring starlight/aura. I particularly expected to see some requirement for Starcrash. The only spells with listed requirements so far are Regalia, Fluoresce, Avren Aevareae, and Mask of the Moons. Further, of those spells that do list star/moons requirements, some are unclear. Fluoresce says it "demands starlight, moonlight, or one's own starlight aura." I assume this is supposed to be bright moonlight? Mask of the Moons says, "Like Avren Aevareae, this is a spell of moonlight." Does this mean it will work with any moon, including Katamba? Even if these spells get updated on Elanthipedia, it does really help to have the information at hand in Discern.

Second, I haven't noticed anything happening with my cambrinth. I'm wearing a cambrinth thigh bag and made sure to fill and empty it once so that it's attuned to Lunar, and I've been standing out under the stars. I'm not sure what I expected, but I suppose I thought something would happen either from standing in starlight or casting spells. What am I missing?

- Navesi
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 09:47 PM CST
>>Dunno if I should post this somewhere else also. With Lunar Magic now being our thing, it's not showing up in the Field Experience window in StormFront. If this needs to be posted somewhere else, let me know. Thanks

I'll try to remember this tomorrow morning.

>>First, I've noticed that fewer spells than I expected are listed in Discern as requiring starlight/aura.

Not all of them are explicit in the DISCERN, which in retrospect is an oversight. All currently existing Fabrication and Illusion spells have environmental restrictions of one kind or another.

Note, the sharp distinction between books with regards to environmentals is not intended or permanent. There is a planned Noematics spell with an aura requirement, and planned Illusion and Fabrication spells with no environmental requirements. The current status quo is an accident of which spells got priority to be written before others.

>>Fluoresce says it "demands starlight, moonlight, or one's own starlight aura." I assume this is supposed to be bright moonlight?

Yup.

>>Mask of the Moons says, "Like Avren Aevareae, this is a spell of moonlight." Does this mean it will work with any moon, including Katamba?

Yup. Those two, plus one planned Fabrication spell, are truly moon-based. Any moon will work, but starlight aura will not substitute.

>>Even if these spells get updated on Elanthipedia, it does really help to have the information at hand in Discern.

Agreed, I'll need to see if I have the energy in the next few days to touch 21 spell descriptions, though.

>>Second, I haven't noticed anything happening with my cambrinth.

I'll double-check the success conditions for the Array. Folks over in Elanthipedia are seeing intermittent success with it.

-Armifer
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 10:17 PM CST

> I'll double-check the success conditions for the Array. Folks over in Elanthipedia are seeing intermittent success with it.

I'm seeing it. Cambrinth just... charges. It's interesting. I think I really like it, especially as a magic tert that's not just another attunement buff. One thing is that I believe it only works when you get starlight, so indoors or cloud cover without Noumena may block it.
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 11:45 PM CST
>>I particularly expected to see some requirement for Starcrash.

Avtalia-crystal spells require starlight or starlight aura. Other crystal spells also accept bright moonlight.

>>Second, I haven't noticed anything happening with my cambrinth.

Noumena has to be up.

GM Grejuva
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/25/2017 11:54 PM CST

Also, Sanctify Pattern doesn't recognize Traders as Magic Users to add buffs for magical skills.
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/26/2017 12:29 AM CST
>>I'm seeing it. Cambrinth just... charges. It's interesting. I think I really like it, especially as a magic tert that's not just another attunement buff. One thing is that I believe it only works when you get starlight, so indoors or cloud cover without Noumena may block it.

I'm thinking maybe it wasn't working for me because my aura was already full? It has now worked after I depleted my pool a little. But if that's so, it's a bit counterintuitive -- and a hassle -- to go spend the starlight so that I can use the mana filling. Also I could really use a way to either clear the cambrinth without casting and without RT, or to check the amount without RT, because while this spell is awesome, it's also on the fast track to Backfire City.

Signature Spells

With the help of a Cleric, I've confirmed the following spells are signature:
Noumena
Arbiter's Stylus
Starcrash
Stellar Collector
Mask of the Moons
Elision

All other non-meta spells should be non-signature. For the meta-spells, I can only guess but I'd say Avtalia Array and Resumption are both signature, while Bespoke Regalia is not. It would be helpful to have these confirmed so I could update Elanthipedia.

Bugs

The Cleric attempted the following spells during daylight with Yavash up (but under cloud cover): Regalia, Fluoresce, Crystal Dart. All three failed. When I attempted the latter two (not enough skill for Regalia), they drained my aura. Not sure if this is because Yavash is clouded or just buggy? Moon Mage spells don't care about cloud cover on the moons. Noumena did not help, but then I can only cast at min.

Cleric also attempted to cast SAP on me, which resulted in this:

Cleric lays his open palm over your head.
A brilliant silver halo appears briefly around your head.
Despite the light show, you feel no different afterward.

That last line is the one for NMUs. I received no benefit from the spell.

Casting LW appears to give Necro messaging:
>cast
You gesture.
A quivering coat of grease briefly appears around your arms and spreads imperceptibly around you to form your ward.

Finally, when I cast Finesse I am affected by the same horrific verbs that were forced on me with Speculate Finesse. I never brought them up because I thought they'd be gone, yet here they are! In sum, when under the effects of Finesse, every bow, curtsy, and smile is replaced with a Trader-specific one (which I happen to dislike). I'd really like for this to go away or at least become optional.

Spell Ideas

Playing around with these has naturally brought up a few thoughts. Before I spam you with some ideas though, I am curious if you can share any more planned spells.

- Navesi
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/26/2017 12:51 AM CST
I was having the same problem (but a problem I like) with the extra mana going into my cambrinth so I've adjusted to doing INVOKE CAMBRINTH <mana> to make sure the cambrinth is only going to pull out the amount I want. This will keep you from backfiring as often.

Any spell using Aura seems to need a clear shot of the heavens without clouds totally blocking it. Noumena seems to only regen our aura thru cloud cover. I'm surprised Blur didn't fail for them since it seems to draw from our Aura also.
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/26/2017 01:21 AM CST
Could we possibly get a break down of how each moon affects the mana for each spell book like they do for Moon Mages? Thanks!
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/26/2017 01:31 AM CST
>Also, now that we are full fledged MUs, we might want to get the teaching messages fixed for magic skills.
>Also, Sanctify Pattern doesn't recognize Traders as Magic Users to add buffs for magical skills.
>Casting LW appears to give Necro messaging

These are fixed, thanks.

>>I'm thinking maybe it wasn't working for me because my aura was already full? It has now worked after I depleted my pool a little. But if that's so, it's a bit counterintuitive -- and a hassle -- to go spend the starlight so that I can use the mana filling.

It still works with a full aura. Make sure Noumena is up and PERC AURA shows there's regen. I've just tweaked the spell to recharge cambrinth a little even with very low aura regen (which may have been suffering from rounding down).

>>All other non-meta spells should be non-signature. For the meta-spells, I can only guess but I'd say Avtalia Array and Resumption are both signature, while Bespoke Regalia is not. It would be helpful to have these confirmed so I could update Elanthipedia.

Bespoke Regalia is signature; otherwise correct.

>>The Cleric attempted the following spells during daylight with Yavash up (but under cloud cover): Regalia, Fluoresce, Crystal Dart. All three failed. When I attempted the latter two (not enough skill for Regalia), they drained my aura. Not sure if this is because Yavash is clouded or just buggy? Moon Mage spells don't care about cloud cover on the moons. Noumena did not help, but then I can only cast at min.

Not a bug. Trader spells are intended to have harsher environmental restrictions than MM spells, but can negate those restrictions whereas MM spells can't. Noumena helps indirectly by giving you the starlight aura for said negation.

>>I was having the same problem (but a problem I like) with the extra mana going into my cambrinth so I've adjusted to doing INVOKE CAMBRINTH <mana> to make sure the cambrinth is only going to pull out the amount I want. This will keep you from backfiring as often.

Oh, nice tip! I'd forgotten about that functionality.

GM Grejuva
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/26/2017 02:07 AM CST
Thank you Grejuva for addressing those bugs so quickly!

>>Not a bug. Trader spells are intended to have harsher environmental restrictions than MM spells, but can negate those restrictions whereas MM spells can't. Noumena helps indirectly by giving you the starlight aura for said negation.

Can you tell me why it was failing? Was it the cloud cover on Yavash, or was I mistaken about bright moonlight being allowed? Did I just not put enough mana into Noumena, or is Noumena just for regenerating aura? Still trying to sift all these restrictions through my brain.

>>It still works with a full aura. Make sure Noumena is up and PERC AURA shows there's regen.

Awesome, thanks!

>>I was having the same problem (but a problem I like) with the extra mana going into my cambrinth so I've adjusted to doing INVOKE CAMBRINTH <mana>

Super nice tip, thanks! I guess the problem that remains for me is that I still need to know how much is in there if I want to go ahead and fill it before casting. If I try to fill when it's full, I waste a bunch of mana and get hit with huge RT. If I try to invoke <cambrinth><mana> when it's not full enough, I end up with extra RT too. It would just be a big help if I could check quickly (without RT), or at least get a sense of each mana point as it enters the cambrinth. I realize that the RT for FOCUS is pretty low, but it feels like a pretty big penalty when I consider it's added onto every cast I want to do with cambrinth. I mean, we have feats designed around caring about precious seconds in spellcasting, so adding at least +2 per cast does hurt a bit.

Anyway, thanks again. Cleric taught me some Warding tonight because he reasoned he'll help me get up to snuff to cast Elision. I made it to 11 ranks.

- Navesi
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/26/2017 10:51 AM CST
I am ecstatic that you didn't beat (Spec) Finesse with the nerf bat with regard to the direct bonus to the Trader Bonus. Especially since I'd just put up an example of it's functionality on Elanthipedia about 7 hours before the release of Trader magic.

OMG, and we still have the graceful BOW with Finesse up. YES! Now I can pull that off ALL THE TIME!

Naniaki Felyran

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/26/2017 10:55 AM CST

> I am ecstatic that you didn't beat (Spec) Finesse with the nerf bat with regard to the direct bonus to the Trader Bonus.

What do you mean here? I'm seeing it beaten with a nerf bat. The charisma hit is real for all but the lowest traders or traders who spent a very long time listening to magic classes.

spec fin
[This ability has been replaced by Trader Magic. To learn about the spells available to you, please seek out the Negotiants device in the Crossing guildhall.]
Re: Trader Magic Released 12/26/2017 11:46 AM CST
>What do you mean here? I'm seeing it beaten with a nerf bat. The charisma hit is real for all but the lowest traders or traders who spent a very long time listening to magic classes.

Spec Finesse had 2 components. One part was a Charisma bonus, the other part was a direct bonus to the Trader Bonus based on circle.

Of the 2 parts, the second has a MUCH bigger impact.

In a hypothetical, but not unreasonable, example of a 40th circle Trader I put on Elanthipedia, the Charisma effect would be about 1.4%, the direct effect was 4%.

Yeah, I'm going to miss the Charisma bit for a long time for work orders (which doesn't use the bonus), but it's not as bad as it appears for selling gems and skins.

Naniaki Felyran

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Prev_page Previous 1 3