Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/03/2017 08:31 PM CST
Does this mean traders should sell out the Moon Mage Guild?

I foresee online gaming changing when there are good audio-visual links connecting the participants, thus approximating play in a face-to-face group. Gary Gygax
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/search_results.html?q=Gamin
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/03/2017 08:39 PM CST
>>Does this mean traders should sell out the Moon Mage Guild?

It means the Traders Guild is currently in negotiation with an immensely powerful extraplanar entity who's entire being is bent toward the death of Moon Mages. Albeit the Arbiter uses much more elegant methods on the average than, say, the Servant of Fate (who just murders people that it comes across).

What this practically leads to depends entirely on how this shakes out. Nobody's ever tried to draft a contract with an alien god before.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/03/2017 08:56 PM CST
> Nobody's ever tried to draft a contract with an alien god before.

Dormammu, I've come to bargain.
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/03/2017 09:03 PM CST

Nobody? Ever?

Or is the key point here the inclusion of a notary?
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/03/2017 09:05 PM CST
>>Or is the key point here the inclusion of a notary?

I never really thought of using a monkey's paw as entering a contract with it, but I grant I can see it now.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/04/2017 11:22 AM CST

> Dormammu, I've come to bargain.

I laughed out loud.

In before traders ask the eye of agamoto. Although, putting the entire realms in an endless time loop for the trader's fun and practice has a certain appeal >: )

> I never really thought of using a monkey's paw as entering a contract with it, but I grant I can see it now.

Isn't that what cleric communes do, maybe the cleric high-sorceries, or necros depending on your perspective of demons. I guess "alien" might be the quantifier here, but how alien are we talking about? I'm both confused and intrigued by where this going.
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/04/2017 12:43 PM CST
>>Isn't that what cleric communes do, maybe the cleric high-sorceries, or necros depending on your perspective of demons. I guess "alien" might be the quantifier here, but how alien are we talking about? I'm both confused and intrigued by where this going.

The line was poorly explained on my part, since I was going for punchy over descriptive. My intention for saying "a contract" was to imply a formal, notarized, written out multi-page signed by multiple witnesses sort of thing. There have absolutely been deals and bargains struck with extraplanars (and even the Arbiter itself in the past) before.

-Armifer
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/04/2017 02:13 PM CST

>Isn't that what cleric communes do, maybe the cleric high-sorceries, or necros depending on your perspective of demons. I guess "alien" might be the quantifier here, but how alien are we talking about? I'm both confused and intrigued by where this going.

I hope I have this right, but,

A ) This is the foundation of Holy Magic.
B ) The only thing differentiating the Immortals, the Arbiter, and demons is where they come from (and what they call themselves).
C ) MMMHMMMMM.
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/04/2017 02:15 PM CST

>The only thing differentiating the Immortals, the Arbiter, and demons is where they come from (and what they call themselves).

Well, actually, that probably isn't right. They're similar insofar as being 'super powerful Godlike entities from not this plane'. That's probably more accurate.
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/04/2017 02:33 PM CST

> The line was poorly explained on my part, since I was going for punchy over descriptive. My intention for saying "a contract" was to imply a formal, notarized, written out multi-page signed by multiple witnesses sort of thing. There have absolutely been deals and bargains struck with extraplanars (and even the Arbiter itself in the past) before.

Got it. I don't know how this is going to play out, but it would be amazing if we could get one of those skill scrolls added to the guild that only allowed signing your name once. When this culminates, and magic is made available, all of the traders present can "sign" the contract to have their name memorialized.

If that's too much, then every trader that attends these events should get a special ledger representing their agreeements. Maybe an alteration session where they RP signing the contract and the being gives them a parting gift (custom alteration on their ledger - being decides what with a little input like the fae) or even a custom look for the trader themselves (touched by starlight or faint shimmering ...) or something to remind them of the deals they made.
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/04/2017 02:43 PM CST
>>B ) The only thing differentiating the Immortals, the Arbiter, and demons is where they come from (and what they call themselves).

They're fundamentally different creatures, even if the differences get swallowed up by their raw power sometimes.

The true deities are related strongly to the concepts of creation and cosmological law. According to legend, they created and have lawful dominion over the Plane of Abiding.

The true demons are related strongly to the concepts of destruction and entropy. They eat.

The concepts from the Plane of Probability are, well, concepts. They're pretty tightly bound to mortal thought and things that are important to Lunar magical practice, for unknown reasons. In capacity for thought and growth they're more like magical computer programs than people -- some of them are just very, very complex programs.

-Armifer
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/04/2017 03:01 PM CST

>The concepts from the Plane of Probability are, well, concepts. They're pretty tightly bound to mortal thought and things that are important to Lunar magical practice, for unknown reasons. In capacity for thought and growth they're more like magical computer programs than people -- some of them are just very, very complex programs.

I very eagerly await seeing if errors in the contract produce catastrophe, a la Long Price Quartet.

Maybe getting off topic, but in terms of the chicken-and-egg question regarding the Immortals and their respective constellations, will we see this expanded further with Plane of Probability Concepts? Maybe inklings of what things were like before proto-Moonies influenced things?
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/04/2017 04:00 PM CST
> I very eagerly await seeing if errors in the contract produce catastrophe, a la Long Price Quartet.

Your spell hopelessly backfires.
A tingling sensation reminds you to read the fine print.
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/04/2017 04:09 PM CST

> The true deities are related strongly to the concepts of creation and cosmological law. According to legend, they created and have lawful dominion over the Plane of Abiding.

> The true demons are related strongly to the concepts of destruction and entropy. They eat.

Interesting, so does that mean the immortals are more powerful than the demons? How would the planar aspects fit on that chart? What about the other dieties that the clerics can worship with their sorcery spell?
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/05/2017 11:10 PM CST
I remember reading somewhere that magic will not be necessary for Traders to circle, I feel pretty confident that we will see an "opt in, with a price" opportunity for Traders. I think it would be a very interesting RP choice if, for instance, the Arbiter offers access to magic in direct exchange for a vow to murder every moon mage in sight. I hope that that particular thing won't happen, because that would really suck in-game and just feels too direct for the way Armifer described the Arbiter in this teaser. But I'm very interested to see what the exchange value for magic powers will be in the end. I desperately want to use Trader magic, but I also want my text man to stay true to himself and his ethics.
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/08/2017 01:31 PM CST
"magic will not be necessary for Traders to circle,"

Armifer does this mean traders will see no magic skill grandfathering like barbarians did with their roll-out?
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/08/2017 01:33 PM CST
>>Armifer does this mean traders will see no magic skill grandfathering like barbarians did with their roll-out?

The plan is no magic grandfathering nor any requirements to train magic to circle.

-Armifer
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/08/2017 04:45 PM CST
So if magic is going to be optional, what is the other option?

ā€œIā€™m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.ā€
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/08/2017 05:06 PM CST
>>So if magic is going to be optional, what is the other option?

Not doing magic.

It's not a great option, but it's there for those who said they didn't want to be forced into Trader Magic. You can Trader without magic if you want.

-Armifer
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/08/2017 05:34 PM CST

> It's not a great option, but it's there for those who said they didn't want to be forced into Trader Magic. You can Trader without magic if you want.

Mechanically, no one is going to want to choose that option.

Will there be a thematic reason not to do it? Should there be?
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/08/2017 05:54 PM CST
>>Mechanically, no one is going to want to choose that option.

People that only play their traders to sell pouches/bundles and have a shop are going to choose that option.
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/08/2017 06:04 PM CST
>>Will there be a thematic reason not to do it? Should there be?

Not really. But early on it was a repeatedly voiced concern, and since we already have a few guilds that can ignore a tertiary skillset or two in circle reqs, it doesn't seem like a big sin that Traders be given the ability to ignore Magic for their reqs.

-Armifer
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/08/2017 10:57 PM CST

> People that only play their traders to sell pouches/bundles and have a shop are going to choose that option.

Okay fine. Let's say utility mules are "playing" the trader.

- We've been told that speculates (namely finesse) are going to become spells.

- Leveling this trader will require combat (armor reqs) and

- Trading and Appraisal will get a buff spell.

If this is going out as described ( https://elanthipedia.play.net/Post:Trader_Magic_-_03/03/2014_-_22:52 ), players who just want a trader ot sell pouches or bundles will definitely choose magic.

> Not really. But early on it was a repeatedly voiced concern, and since we already have a few guilds that can ignore a tertiary skillset or two in circle reqs, it doesn't seem like a big sin that Traders be given the ability to ignore Magic for their reqs.

I think ignoring the reqs is less of a concern than not grandfathering the reqs to what they would have been. This is especially true if speculates are taken away fairly early in the process. If this goes live as planned, can we be given a lengthy review period where speculates are left as is?
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/09/2017 12:08 AM CST

Any chance we can get magic ranks grandfathered at the rate those skills WOULD have been required as a tert skill set? so folks don't have to backtrain to use speculates etc?
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/09/2017 12:13 AM CST

Everyone losing out on the previously customary grandfathering of magic ranks because a few people cried they didn't want to have to train magic doesn't seem like a fair shake for everyone else. My 2cents.

Also I don't think they would have made that bargain had they realized their magic would be necessary to min/max their preferred play style, a gem pouch mule is still going to want to cap those buffs that effect charisma etc.
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/09/2017 12:47 AM CST
>previously customary grandfathering of magic ranks

There was no previously customary grandfathering of magic ranks for magic tertiaries.

Documentation is a love letter you write to your future self.
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/09/2017 01:06 AM CST

See barbarians and thieves, so I guess, both instances of NMU magic skill rollouts which were also magic tert.
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/09/2017 01:12 AM CST
Just for the record, I have no horse in this race at the moment, as I actually managed to train enough magics that I doubt I'd get anything from grandfathering. Thank you, teachers and sanowret crystal.

I can see both sides. Some people have been long-term Traders and don't want to have to learn the magic system. Maybe they'd prefer that even with sacrificing the speculates. Others want to train magic and therefore want the free ranks. I should mention though, for any who don't know, the amount they were proposing to grandfather was a pittance, like 1 rank/circle. That was why I chose to learn via teaching instead, as with grandfathering alone I'd never be close to my combat ranks.

Personally, given the very small amount of ranks originally offered to grandfather, I would err on the side of not requiring magic. Let people play how they want to, and how they always have. If it's easy to throw 100-200 ranks at us for free in a few skills, that also wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it's necessary.

- Navesi
Re: Teaser: The Arbiter & The Children of Grazhir 12/09/2017 07:41 AM CST
Okay, so about grandfathering (or lack thereof). Give me a few days for a final determination on that.

While I am not inclined to grandfather just to be nice (since, you know, I'm a vile person), now that we have finalized the spell list I need to complete my practical testing and make sure it's feasible for you to start rolling with all your skills from the start without scrolls or classes.

I want to be clear here: this would not be circle-appropriate amounts of magic, it'd be what's necessary to get off the ground if "zero" isn't it. I will do what I need to in order to make sure Traders start in a tenable position with their new spell trees, even if that includes grandfathering, but right now tenable is what I'm shooting for.

-Armifer