Re: Starlight Aura (Part 2) 11/14/2017 10:44 PM CST
Hey Armifer, this stuff is awesome. Thanks for sharing with us. I just had a question and a couple of comments.

First, I noticed Piercing Gaze is non-signature. If a Trader were to cast this spell, would it help mitigate the cloud-cover effect?

Second, just a couple of points for you to consider. I should say that I am fully supportive of systems with limitations. In general I find they make life more interesting. I do not expect you to change the limitations set out, nor am I asking for it. However I wanted to note the following things just in case you might not be aware.

Essentially, Traders are encouraged (sometimes strongly) to be indoors in certain circumstances:

- The Personally Owned Caravan. This is a prestige item that allows the Trader to travel within a "room" while going on caravan routes. It takes a lot of work and money to buy and decorate one and there are a number of neat features you can add to it (e.g. a bucket, a scale). There has been talk of tying personal crafting areas to the POC, for example an anvil set up inside. In general, the POC has kind of been the big reward for high level Traders for some time. For these reasons you might consider allowing POCs to be opened to the sky or have skylight windows installed that allow aura regen.

- Shops. Our shops are all indoors, so the indoors limitation might discourage Traders from standing in their shops to talk to customers. It won't be a big deal for me but again just something to consider.

- Crafting. Most (all?) crafting societies are indoors, so Traders who care about their aura regen might tend toward the craft(s) that allow work outside of a society. In particular I know that it's rather difficult to forge outside (though not impossible), and it's easy to do Outfitting outside. Not sure about Alchemy/Engineering.

- Navesi
Re: Starlight Aura (Part 2) 11/14/2017 11:10 PM CST
Currently PG does not affect cloud-cover effect for the aura. It's not a bad idea, though. I'll let it roll in my head and see where it takes me.

And I apologize if I was being too coy, but there are two reasons I'm okay with limiting indoors regen.

1) Aura doesn't diminish unless it's spent (unlike, say, Ranger bonus where it goes down if you're in the wrong environment).
2) There are going to be two additional utilities to increase aura, one specifically meant to work around the indoors requirement. I haven't talked about it in detail because it is not post-QC at the moment, nor am I the one writing it, so details can change and I don't wish to take implicit credit for it.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Starlight Aura (Part 2) 11/18/2017 03:15 PM CST
Just a thought for the ability to use this either indoors or while in a POC:

Skylights. Make 'em an additional surface in a shop (I don't own one) or in a POC (don't own one of these either).

I know, what kinda Trader doesn't have a POC or a shop. Uh, yah...

Balkomar (and pals)