Teaser: Starlight Aura 10/09/2017 02:55 PM CDT
THANK YOU this is so awesome, I am so excited!!!
Re: Teaser: Starlight Aura 10/09/2017 06:24 PM CDT
Sounds really cool. :)

- Navesi
Re: Teaser: Starlight Aura 10/09/2017 07:01 PM CDT
This sounds really neat.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Teaser: Starlight Aura 10/09/2017 07:37 PM CDT

I just want to say how unreasonably excited I am about this. It's almost like traders are becoming a new guild.

A few questions.

> A Trader needs to be outside, at night, in less-than-overcast conditions. An introductory spell called Noumena will relax these requirements based on the Potency of the cast (it's a bit like Piercing Gaze in effect).

So what I'm hearing is that you can build up your aura even if you roll up a trader in the dead of winter, but you need to keep Noumena up to do so? Sounds reasonable enough. Will Noumena let you regenrate aura during the day, or is it just the night?

> The starlight aura is invisible

Will traders have a way to perceive thier own aura or will it always be a mystery?
Re: Teaser: Starlight Aura 10/09/2017 07:43 PM CDT

> Will traders have a way to perceive thier own aura or will it always be a mystery?

And to clarify this. I mean, if trader A has 1000 PM and trader B has 100 PM, will trader A see the "half full" message at 500 bits of starlight while trader B sees the "half-full" message at 50 bits of starlight? Or will they see different messaging based on how many total bits they have?
Re: Teaser: Starlight Aura 10/09/2017 07:43 PM CDT
>>So what I'm hearing is that you can build up your aura even if you roll up a trader in the dead of winter, but you need to keep Noumena up to do so? Sounds reasonable enough. Will Noumena let you regenrate aura during the day, or is it just the night?

At low levels of Potency it can defeat cloud cover. At higher levels of Potency it can defeat daylight. I am contemplating letting extremely high Potency casts even allow in doors regen, but while that's thematic to the spell it might be a bit much mechanically.

>>Will traders have a way to perceive thier own aura or will it always be a mystery?

Traders will have access to PERC AURA.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Teaser: Starlight Aura 10/09/2017 07:45 PM CDT
>>And to clarify this. I mean, if trader A has 1000 PM and trader B has 100 PM, will trader A see the "half full" message at 500 bits of starlight while trader B sees the "half-full" message at 50 bits of starlight? Or will they see different messaging based on how many total bits they have?

The "how bright your aura is" message is an absolute scale (Trader B will see lower messages than Trader A, even at full). The final message that says if you're up to your maximum safe amount is relative to your personal maximum.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Teaser: Starlight Aura 10/09/2017 08:26 PM CDT

> I am contemplating letting extremely high Potency casts even allow in doors regen, but while that's thematic to the spell it might be a bit much mechanically.

I'd vote for yes, even if it required a metaspell or additional slot clost. A lot of hunting zones are indoors, and this could open up some options.

> Traders will have access to PERC AURA.

I worded this awkwardly. What I'm trying to determine is how accurately we'll we be able to judge the actual ammount stored.

More questions.

1. Do others collect aura? If so, will traders have offensive options around stelaing that aura?
2. Will some spells have minimum ammounts required to run, or can they always run with the right lunar conditions for free?
3. Will SLA be drained automatically, or do I have to somehow "empower" my spell when I want it to circumvent the restrictions or otherwise be boosted?
4. Will traders have their own travel system similar to moon mages?
5. Will SLA be able to empower all spells, or just the ones requiring moons?
6. Does SLA interact with caravans, and does it replace the existing trader bonus in place now?
7. Will traders get the same perceive options as a moon mage?
9. Can the trader shop sell vials that let us collect the tears of moon mages when all three moons are down?
Re: Teaser: Starlight Aura 10/09/2017 08:40 PM CDT
>>At low levels of Potency it can defeat cloud cover. At higher levels of Potency it can defeat daylight. I am contemplating letting extremely high Potency casts even allow in doors regen, but while that's thematic to the spell it might be a bit much mechanically.

My knee-jerk without details is to allow regen at cap. Unless there's some truly, fantasticly, OP type abilities based on Aura, most guilds already recoup mojo without excessive punishment, and I'd feel better if Trader's ONLY had to worry about maintaining a spell to maximize instead of a spell AND location.

Samsaren
Re: Teaser: Starlight Aura 10/09/2017 08:42 PM CDT
Is the spell list posted by Raesh still accurate? I'm super excited about this. Something great happening for this guild.
Re: Teaser: Starlight Aura 10/09/2017 09:13 PM CDT
>>I worded this awkwardly. What I'm trying to determine is how accurately we'll we be able to judge the actual ammount stored.

Right now each descriptive statement is a pretty broad range. I'll tighten it up if I can think of more descriptors.

>>1. Do others collect aura? If so, will traders have offensive options around stelaing that aura?

Only Traders can accumulate SLA. I have some distant ideas about letting Traders supply SLA to Moon Mages for their benefit, but if so MMs would be clients only, not suppliers.

>>2. Will some spells have minimum ammounts required to run, or can they always run with the right lunar conditions for free?

Depends on the spell. Most spells will always work under the right environmental conditions, I can think of at least one that we've designed to require SLA flat out.

>>3. Will SLA be drained automatically, or do I have to somehow "empower" my spell when I want it to circumvent the restrictions or otherwise be boosted?

Right now automatically, though I might revisit that to allow for easier training without spending SLA.

>>4. Will traders have their own travel system similar to moon mages?

Nope.

>>5. Will SLA be able to empower all spells, or just the ones requiring moons?

It's 99% there to circumvent moons/starlight requirements. I won't rule out a spell in the future that benefits/consumes SLA optionally, but there's none in the works at this moment.

>>6. Does SLA interact with caravans, and does it replace the existing trader bonus in place now?

Nope.

>>7. Will traders get the same perceive options as a moon mage?

Some of them. Perceive moons, spellbooks, and planets are in. Perceive others is not shared.

>>9. Can the trader shop sell vials that let us collect the tears of moon mages when all three moons are down?

I'll look into it.

>>Is the spell list posted by Raesh still accurate? I'm super excited about this. Something great happening for this guild.

It's a mix. A few spells are coming directly as listed, some spells are being "reskinned" (same mechanical effect, different descriptions), some new ones.

-Armifer
Re: Teaser: Starlight Aura 10/09/2017 10:00 PM CDT

Thanks for the responses!

Last [new] question: Are speculates going to stay for a while? Or are they being removed with this release?

> Right now automatically, though I might revisit that to allow for easier training without spending SLA.

Other than the one mentioned (the clash spell?) Is SLA automatically consumed even if the conditions or met, or is just automaticly consumed when the spell would otherwise fizzle?

Now, before even seeing the system, a few requests for future thought. Please don't take this as a critque. I love the idea of this system, and I look forward to playing with it. I'm just always looking for ways to make things subjectively better.

- Aparatus for POCs that has mirrors or prisms or something to increase star-light regeneration for all traders in the room. Make it stack up to 5 when traders use the "circle wagons" command. I know this is one of those legacy systems that GMs would rather die, but I still see it as an iconic spell.

- Summons. Lots of summons. Illusions made of moonlight. Like shadowlings, but brighter and more useful. Let us alternate between them, with only one out at once. Each does something different, like a buff stick, but cute and verby. Maybe some are made out of hard-light (yeah, ST:TNG fan) and do something a little more useful. Maybe

- More summons. Summon tools like a warrior mage summons weapons.

- A magic caravan. A cyclic spell that works like a caravan but moves much, much faster and doesn't require feed. High risk, High reward. You lose all your goods if the spell collapses.

- Improved astral projection or telepathy. Let the trader interact with their caravan and shipping clerks via an astral projection while they craft or do whatever. I can be forging away or fighting goblins and use familiar like commands to send my caravan to where I want them, turn in a contract and get a new one.

- Cantrips. Dazzle the room with our amazing aura when we speculate finesse. Pull an imaginary coin out of the person's ear that fades into a shimmer of starlight.

- Aign to moons to increase/reduce the starlight regen when the moon is up/down. You can re-align at any time, but both moons have to be up to align (new and old).