Prev_page Previous 1 3 4
April Fool's Magic 04/01/2012 02:33 PM CDT
I want to get all like offended or something at mocking the Trader guild with an April Fool's "promise" of a system we desperately need, but whatever, just tell us tomorrow if you were serious

If you were actually serious then I'll bother reading the post and forming an opinion on it

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/01/2012 04:17 PM CDT
Oh man... Dude! Trader's want some helpful combat abilities, naughty April Fool's.

-Echelonia
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/01/2012 04:27 PM CDT
I for one am hoping this idea is still alive in the harsh light of April 2nd... but if it's not, well, we're right where we were anyways.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/01/2012 05:12 PM CDT

I've got to say, it's actually not too different from the kind of magic that I would expect traders to value, particularly the negotiation book.

Although to be serious, I think it would be more of a tangential addition rather than one with requirements. The feeling I got from Ansprahv's speak is the he doesn't care what you do as long as you make money, so why would be care one way or another if you practiced magic? I mean, traders should at least be able to get access to the newly robust AP book that's coming out, it's not like the guildleaders would oppose. A spell scroll is more valuable that the paper it's made of and cambrinth is a valuable metal, maybe not so much as lumium, but a big enough chunk of it gets pricey. If a trader wants to tap into the market of expensive magical items, then a knowledge of them and how to read them would be justified.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/01/2012 06:45 PM CDT
April fools bite or not, I think it'd be cool.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/01/2012 06:46 PM CDT
Assuming the game today is to figure out which announcements are real I think this one has the most plausibility, with the level cap increase second. I actually expect this one is a true story. The best part of it potentially being real is how muted the reaction has been to this seismic shift in guild design. I hope Socharis swoops in at midnight to say if it's serious. I don't even have a trader and I'm anxious about it.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/01/2012 08:21 PM CDT
>>seismic shift in guild design

...leads me to believe it is a joke, but it's also just outlandish enough to be used as a double-joke. "Hah! I knew you thought I'd be kidding but I really wasn't! April Fools!"

The 200th circle thing is the most plausible IMO because they've been talking about raising the circle cap anyway, and this is a very logical way of doing it.

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/01/2012 08:25 PM CDT
Traders having access to magic has always been a HUGE no. ALWAYS. Anyone remember when everyone could use runestones?

I highly doubt this is anything more than an April Fool's joke, mainly because there was no link at the bottom of the post, directing to the discussion thread.

~P
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/01/2012 09:42 PM CDT
>>I highly doubt this is anything more than an April Fool's joke, mainly because there was no link at the bottom of the post, directing to the discussion thread.<<

There actually was one in the main simutronics annoucement catagory where all three went up.

That said, the level 200 cap post has had GM responses to it in the Experience folder, and the Trader forum has remained remarkably silent.

As I said earlier, I can't allow myself to get my hopes up that this isn't anything more than an April Fools, as much as I wish it were the truth. With the 3.0 circle reqs, Traders, I feel, are going to need at least a little bit of help in the combat area to get those armor/suvival reqs done.

-Echelonia
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/01/2012 10:13 PM CDT
>That said, the level 200 cap post has had GM responses to it in the Experience folder, and the Trader forum has remained remarkably silent.

I'd take that more as a sign of folders with interesting conversations going on, and GMs enjoying themselves. The conversation here has been pretty much 'Ayup. That's be cool if it were true, but I won't hold my breath' from everyone. Not a lot of conversing that can go with that.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/01/2012 10:57 PM CDT

No, but I imagine it could get a lot of giggles on the dev side if the Trader Magic was the real post. We're all "meh" and everybody got super cereal excited about the level cap... and the new race was pretty obvious. It's like Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me! heh. Which absurd news item is the real one?
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/01/2012 11:37 PM CDT
<<Which absurd news item is the real one?>>

But what if they're all three true?

Solomon
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 12:07 AM CDT
<<Which absurd news item is the real one?>>

>>But what if they're all three true?

I see what you did there.
http://cheezburger.com/6059289088
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 12:20 AM CDT
My take:

It's half true. Imbedded in Socharis' Trader post is the bit that "However, the non-magic skill req changes will be implemented as part of X3 in anticipation for the rewrite."

I.e., it's our Trading downtweak (to Empath's Empathy level, 910 ranks) in exchange for 370 Primary weapon at 150th, 220 at 100th.

Naniaki

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 12:21 AM CDT
Also something of a promise that Trader "magic" is being considered.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 02:34 AM CDT
It's a bit after midnight, but this post was actually legit. The whole thing - Lunar magic is the flavor of magic that Traders will have access to, etc.

Discuss.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 02:49 AM CDT
>>It's a bit after midnight, but this post was actually legit. The whole thing - Lunar magic is the flavor of magic that Traders will have access to, etc.

::blinks::

like for-realsy legit? Are you kidding me? Super psyched.

Gonna roll up a trader (that I won't get bored with and delete) as soon as this gets worked on a bit. Or when crafting work orders produce trading EXP. Whichever happens first.

PS - LOVE that it's lunar based, but that's probably because I'm moonmage prime.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 02:57 AM CDT
>>like for-realsy legit? Are you kidding me? Super psyched.

For all the reals.

It's a huge huge change, but it has to happen to justify bringing traders in line with everybody else as far as reqs go. One thing I saw a bit in this thread is that it doesn't fit into the existing lore of the guild, and that's true - A change of this magnitude will have retcons, and it will have things that are fundamentally different than they were before. It's the nature of a chance of this magnitude.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 03:03 AM CDT
> It's a huge huge change, but it has to happen to justify bringing traders in line with everybody else as far as reqs go.

I have to assume that adjusting their reqs wasn't the primary motivation behind this.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 03:06 AM CDT
>>Discuss.

It seems really weird to me to give Traders actual lunar magic attunement rather than some innate "supernatural bordering on magical" type abilities like Barbarians and Thieves, but then it also isn't some major diversion from previously established lore like alot of people seem to be claiming. Our only real lore with magic was "you don't need it, you can buy all the power you need" - so even the most lazy explanation of "Traders decided to finally follow thru on those plans to buy power, by paying the MM guild to train them how to attune to lunar magic" would completely justify the change and fit the previous lore. I'm guessing you have a much more interesting backstory than this 2 second explanation, which I am very interested to see

In terms of game mechanics, on one hand I'm a bit disappointed to see abilities tied to having moons up - I've always found the MM guild very interesting (and even played one before Apu) but I couldn't stand how moons never seemed to be up when you needed them. But on the other hand, getting new abilities tied to moon cycles is infinitely better than having no abilities, so I'm good with whatever

I sure hope there are some offensive bonuses and disabling moves in there. You definitely didn't say that there wouldn't be, although the emphasis was on defensive bonuses and non-combat stuff. Doesn't have to be super powerful stuff or anything, but right now Traders are pigeonholed into only fighting creatures that cannot parry and cannot block, because with weapons tertiary and no bonuses or disablers, it is absolutely impossible to kill anything at level that can parry or block (and I shudder to think what will happen in Combat 3.0 if creatures benefit from that 60% parry/shield as evasion when you have no weapon/shield)

All in all, sounds very promising, and this is the first time that being born on April 2nd has allowed me to get an April Fool's birthday present :)

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 03:08 AM CDT
Well...huh.

Guess now Lunar mana joins the "2 Guilds use it" club.

This will be very interesting to watch. Probably the biggest retcon in DR history.

Yes, it will be VERY interesting to see what crawls out of the woodwork because of this.

(goes to stockpile popcorn)

>Gonna roll up a trader (that I won't get bored with and delete) as soon as this gets worked on a bit. Or when crafting work orders produce trading EXP. Whichever happens first.

You might want to start now while circling is EZMode. Just because Trading drops by ~.5 ranks per circle over 150 circles doesn't mean it will suddenly be a walk in the park. It's still over 900 ranks to go.

Welcome to the club.

Naniaki

P.S. We can haz Clarify Gem from the MM?

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 03:09 AM CDT
Now to send "I told you so" IMs to everyone on my buddy list...
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 03:09 AM CDT
>>I have to assume that adjusting their reqs wasn't the primary motivation behind this.

Adjusting the ranks is one of many examples of situations where Traders have been treated like second class citizens due to a lack of substantial development direction. Traders have long stood out in my mind as a guild with limited potential as currently defined, and this new direction expands their potential a lot, both in terms of abilities and in terms of lore.

>>I sure hope there are some offensive bonuses and disabling moves in there.

Yeah, we're still working on a full spellbook and scope of the abilities.

I'm out for the night but I'll be back in the morning for more discussion.

--

Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 03:13 AM CDT
Love it, Socharis.

Read that post and knew it had to be somewhat true, just surprised to discover it's all basically true.

Trader will probably see more time outside of the shop now.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 03:25 AM CDT
Lunar mana and magic spellbooks still seem odd to me. I agree with Apu in that I always imagined some kind of psychic master planning focus would be the path. But whatever. You guys are in for some cool stuff. Congrats!

Kaxis

>A dobek moruryn sits perfectly still.
>The dobek moruryn crumbles apart.

You say, "Hey, use it or lose it, buddy."
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 03:29 AM CDT
If they are going to make Traders a magic-using guild, lunar magic actually makes the most sense from a pure development standpoint.

There are currently 2 elemental guilds, 2 life guilds, 2 hold guilds, and 1 lunar guild.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 03:33 AM CDT
<<If they are going to make Traders a magic-using guild,>>

This is the part that doesn't make sense to me. Not what type of mana to give them.

Kaxis

>A dobek moruryn sits perfectly still.
>The dobek moruryn crumbles apart.

You say, "Hey, use it or lose it, buddy."
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 03:43 AM CDT
>>This is the part that doesn't make sense to me. Not what type of mana to give them.

I agree, it's a big departure from the current guild, but I welcome it.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 03:50 AM CDT
I actually kind of like lunar mana as a choice. MM are big on mental gymnastic features such as psychic domination. They also are apparently rather political, as the Guild as a whole entity. Cut down on the forceful domination and go more with "subtle coercion through diplomacy and a hint of magic", add some financial blackmail, and you can come up with Traders.

>There are currently 2 elemental guilds, 2 life guilds, 2 holy guilds, and 1 lunar guild.

And 2 "Inner" guilds. With Necros off on their own thing...doing...things...with blending magic frequencies.

So yes, makes for symmetry. And if only Empaths became Magic Prime, then it'd REALLY start looking symmetrical...

Kaeta Airtag

Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 03:58 AM CDT
I just want to say congrats. I'm glad to see some Traders get some love.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 04:50 AM CDT
I am so excited. And I don't even play a trader.

I never even considered Lunar, but now that I see it, it makes a lot of sense. Illusion, charming, psychic manipulation. Distraction, making items appear better than they are. I kind of thought there would be more ties to the Bard guild (and I still think they should share the bluffs), but the mana type itself works great as Lunar.

I can't wait to see a spell list!

>>but I couldn't stand how moons never seemed to be up when you needed them.

As a moon mage primary, I've been pleasantly surprised by the moons. They do go through some nasty phases at times but overall it's pretty darn good. If you look at it as a neat system that lets you be more awesome than usual, but only sometimes, it can be pretty cool. (I don't really know if this is true but it's how it feels to me.)

And happy birthday Apu!

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 06:00 AM CDT
<<This is the part that doesn't make sense to me. Not what type of mana to give them.

Makes perfect sense. I'm sure there are a lot of non-adventurer traders in the background that don't use magic, but Traders are adventurers. They should be capable of extraordinary things.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 06:24 AM CDT
lol dang -- Sounds like a lot of fun is on the horizon! Gonna take some getting used to, Traders preparing and casting spells :P

Also Apu to be the next Totenus (commoner being transformed into a force to be reckoned with due to being given real spells/abilities)

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 07:19 AM CDT

>> "Traders decided to finally follow thru on those plans to buy power, by paying the MM guild to train them how to attune to lunar magic"

I agree with Apu. I don't play a trader (but after these changes, I may start); however, this is how I would see the traders from an outsider's perspective. They've been sitting there, buying magic over the centuries, and are now finally ready to unleash it as their own. Slowly at first, but then the full onslaught after their impending legal battles.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 07:20 AM CDT
wow. all i can say. NICE.

and politically savvy too. Moon mages promise power, Traders buy power.

One question. Who's going to tell Kssarh? He's gonna jump out his own window at the news. :-)

I love it.

[Uzmam] "<chat>" "what you seem to not realize is that I'd love for Uzmam to be outed. That way she could have Divult finally apprentice her and I could learn those slips"
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 07:21 AM CDT
>> Yeah, we're still working on a full spellbook and scope of the abilities.

You should create a magical suggestion's folder and see what other traders want.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 07:26 AM CDT
conjure money....

[Uzmam] "<chat>" "what you seem to not realize is that I'd love for Uzmam to be outed. That way she could have Divult finally apprentice her and I could learn those slips"
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 07:44 AM CDT
It would be interesting if Traders were still ICly NMUs but are able to use jewelry to channel sunlight/moonlight into causing magical effects.

"hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down." - GERSTEINJ2

Chatter[Gonifa] whatever, scripto-gnome.
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 08:56 AM CDT
From this post http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Traders/Guild%20Suggestions/view/965, you can probably gauge my excitement for this project. :D

Nikpack
Re: April Fool's Magic 04/02/2012 09:25 AM CDT
So does this mean our speculates and hires will change?

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4