What are you having for dinner? 11/16/2005 08:35 AM CST
Greetings!

So with Thanksgiving fast approaching, does anyone want to share wonderful recipes that I can steal, I mean, peruse? Or share traditions? We just have family and turkey, potatoes, gravy, lots of vegetables (greenbean cassarole), cornbread, stuffing, cranberry sauce (of course) and homemade pies. Then the menfolk go and watch football and the womenfolk sneak in to watch in this enlightened age. And to include non-Americans in this discussion, you can also share recipes that can infiltrate our Thanksgivings, what better way to get to us but through our stomachs?

One thing I make that is a bit different is a carrot casserole baked in a mayonaise and horseradish sauce and topped with bread crumbs.

Adera

Life is the journey, not the destination.
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/16/2005 08:40 AM CST
>>One thing I make that is a bit different is a carrot casserole baked in a mayonaise and horseradish sauce and topped with bread crumbs.

That sounds... good actually.

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong...
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/16/2005 08:45 AM CST
>>One thing I make that is a bit different is a carrot casserole baked in a mayonaise and horseradish sauce and topped with bread crumbs.

>>That sounds... good actually.

That it does!
I'm not sure what I'll be doing about Thanksgiving: The chances are very good that my parents will be wanting my husband and me over for dinner. I might try to sautee some mixed vegetables and mix them with pasta and alfredo sauce for a side dish, and make a coffee cake or streudel for desert, if I'm out of applesauce bread by then.

Player of a little plat trader

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/16/2005 09:25 AM CST
I Debone a turkey for Thanksgiving then fill it with a sausage stuffing. We always have fried oysters also.

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others." ~~ G.O.

Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/16/2005 09:53 AM CST
When I was very young, we did the traditional dinner because my maternal Grandfather loved turkey & dressing and all the trimmings. When he passed, no one could bear to do the turkey & dressing thing without him, so we started doing a southwestern Thanksgiving. We live in Texas, and my maternal Grandmother was from New Mexico, so it just seemed to fit. We did tortilla soup, green chili stew, stacked enchiladas, chili rellenos, etc. We've been doing that for twenty years, now. Grandma passed earlier this year, but we decided that the southwestern Thanksgiving was such a wonderful tradition that we'd keep doing it.

So, I'm going to be drinking a lot of water from all the spicy foods.

I'll get the traditional turkey, dressing, green bean casserole, etc., at the in-laws' house.
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/16/2005 12:05 PM CST
Hmmm, only local specialty for Thanksgiving I haven't gotten to try yet is oyster stuffing. Not exactly sure how it's made, but I'm sure some year I'll trip over it.

That said, I'm sorta planning on coming in to work at this point. Too many folks here who have no local family or even family still alive. Figure I might as well keep 'em company since I have to be at work at 7:30 the next morning and have no place to go m'self.

Generally though, back before I moved here, Thanksgiving was duck, wild rice with mushroom stuffing, and home made cranberry sauce. For the three of us, this was plenty.
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/16/2005 12:18 PM CST
This german holiday treat is traditional in my family.

Pepper Nuts (Pfeffernuesse)

Ingrediants:

2 1/2 Cups sugar
2 Cups Dark syrup
3/4 Cups milk
3/4 Cups shortening (Crisco)

Mix together and bring to boil and then let cool.

1 Teaspoon baking powder
3/4 Teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 Teaspoon to 3/4 teaspoon anise oil
1 Teaspoon ground cardamon
1 Teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 Pounds + 1 cup flour (9 cup flour = 2 1/2 lbs + 1 cup flour)

Mix together all ingredients

Roll into rope shapes (about 3/4 inch in diameter)
Cut rope into 1/2 inch pieces (cut on cookie sheet)
Bake in 350-degree oven for 15 minutes.

Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/16/2005 12:30 PM CST
(repost for corrections)

There are a couple of things that I make that have been recipies that my friends and family have given to me...here's a few I'll share with you

Cream Cheese & Marshmallow Creme dip:

Combine one regular-size jar Marshmallow Creme with one 8oz. package of cream cheese (after softening it so it'll mix easily). Beat until light and fluffy.

This stuff is so easy to make and is good on EVERYTHING. Bananas, celery, apples, grapes, a spoon, and your finger...lol This stuff, along with some nutella as well, will make the perfect party dipper platter!

My uncle makes egg nog for both Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday parties. It's sooo good, with or without alcohol. Homemade egg nog is so different than store-bought, so if you haven't ever tried it, you must!

For the diabetic shocker, I make this absolutely amazing white chocolate cream cheese pie...

1 1/2 C. cold milk (whole prefered)
2 4-serving size packages of white chocolate pudding mix
1 8oz. container whipped topping (Cool Whip is best!)
1 8oz package cream cheese
1tsp Vanilla Flavoring
1 Graham Cracker Crust, prepared

Pour cold milk into large mixing bowl and combine with vanilla. Add pudding mix and softened cream cheese. Beat with wire whisk until well mixed. (Mixture will be thick.) Gently stir in whipped topping. Spoon into crust.

Refrigerate at least 4hrs, overnight is best. Personally, I make this into two pies, since you'll have a LOT of filling. You can also substitute any flavor of pudding you like (white chocolate raspberry, chocolate, pistachio, etc). This stuff is good and you don't need a lot for a serving (maybe 1/2" slice).

I love making pastries as well...going to probably make another cheesecake along with some cookies, scones, biscotti, and muffins. I can't wait (and neither can my coworkers...heh)

~Brady, player of Bounty Hunter Samus, Wayne Brady and M. Baiter of The Fallen

The shadowling exclaims, "Bogo!"
Looks like someone has BOGO on the brain...
~~~
Join The Fallen!
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/16/2005 12:39 PM CST
>>Pfeffernuesse

I lurve Pfeffernuesse!

~Brady, player of Bounty Hunter Samus, Wayne Brady and M. Baiter of The Fallen

The shadowling exclaims, "Bogo!"
Looks like someone has BOGO on the brain...
~~~
Join The Fallen!
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/16/2005 02:49 PM CST
Oh goodness, now this is my kind of thread! Thank you Adera for getting this thing rolling :)

We always have a relatively traditional Thanksgiving around my home. We've got the turkey with sides of ham for those who don't like it (But I'm a vegetarian, so I skip that and eat everything else ;) ) of course, garlic mashed potatoes, ROLLS, deviled eggs, stuffing, cranberry sauce, DUMPLINGS, sweet potatoes w/marshmallow topping them, jello, cornbread, a smattering of vegetables (peas, string beans, the usual), *EGG NOG* , and delicious pumpkin and apple pies (sometimes an apple crisp as well depending on who feels like cooking). Combine that great food with the opportunity to laugh all night and you've got one of my favorite holidays coming up!

As for the recipes that have come in thus far, the Pfeffernuesse and Cream Cheese & Marshmallow Creme Dip are already making me drool. I hope some more people chime in and share some of their goodies with us.

~Kaildred, Food-Enjoyer Extraordinaire.

Please email all questions either to myself (MOD-Kaildred@play.net), Senior Board Monitor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net), or Message Board Supervisor Cecco (DR-Cecco@play.net).
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/16/2005 03:25 PM CST
>>We just have family and turkey, potatoes, gravy, lots of vegetables (greenbean cassarole), cornbread, stuffing, cranberry sauce (of course) and homemade pies.

We're having ham this year. Enough turkey for 40 people is far too time-consuming and inconvenient to handle anymore (for extra-special occasions or when things just line up exactly right, we can push 80).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/16/2005 03:27 PM CST
Appetizer: This is simple, and ohh so good.

Wooden skewers, about 10 or so. Soak these in water for about an hour before you start. You can use metal ones also. No need to soak them.
1 to 1-1/2 pound swordfish steak, should be about 1-1/2 inches thick. Do not get the cubed swordfish, its ok, but lacks the flavor. Of course, get fresh, not frozen.
1 lemon
Black pepper
1 pound thick cut bacon (maple flavored optional)

Cut the skin off the steak, discard.
Slice the steak into 1-1/2 inch cubes
Wrap the bacon around 4 sides of the cube, make sure you can see the grain on the open ends, secure with skewer, you can get 2 or 3 cubes on each skewer.
Squeeze the juice of lemon over evarything. Shake black pepper (especially if you use maple bacon) on top.

BBQ on high for about 2 minutes per side, or until bacon is crispy. Yes, even during winter in New England we make these on the grill.

Alternatively, you can use toothpicks to secure the bacon, and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes, again, until bacon is crispy.

I've substituted proscuitto for bacon (folded over double), equally delicious.
I've also used shark, tuna steak (yellowtail), and sea scallops, instead of swordfish.

Let cool 2 minutes, and serve.

Happy Holidays.

[This space for rent.]
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/17/2005 07:37 AM CST
Mmmm, food thread. Since I can't make it home for Thanksgiving this year, I'll have to make do with this instead. :(
For the last like 5 years one of my uncles has brought deep-fried turkey... Now that's some good stuff. One of my aunts makes this thing... it's like, those ready made croissants (the kind in the cardboard tubes) except instead of rolling them up like you're supposed to, you lay em out in a 9x12 pan, layered with some ham and salami and cheese and stuff, then bake it. Those are good too.
My mom usually makes these little steak rolls, take a flank steak or something, marinated in some soy sauce, ginger and mirin, slice it up, cut up some green onions lengthwise, and roll the pieces of steak around the onion. Grill em up and serve as finger food.
My grandpa always makes liver and onions (blech!) and hamburg gravy. It's like, take some ground beef, cook it, somehow make it gravy-like, and serve on top of mashed taters. That's good stuff.
For dessert we do the whole pie thing, and one of my aunts ALWAYS brings rhubarb pie (double blech!) but I also have my special recipe for Fruit Cream Thing.

Find some nice fruit, I've found peaches work especially well, but we've done variations with blueberries, raspberries and some other stuff. Take some heavy cream, add a package of gelatin (gelatin, not Jello. the non-flavoured stuff) combine in a sauce pan over low heat until the gelatin's dissolved. Add in sugar to taste (the ultra fine ground stuff works best, because it's gotta dissolve too) and then pour into little molds and refrigerate until it's half-solid but still goopy enough for the fruit to move around in. Meanwhile, chop up the fruit and add the fruit pieces to the semi-solid molds and put back in the fridge. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent the icky skin forming, and to serve just flip em over onto a plate.

Ok I'm terrible at explaining recipes. And I never measure anything, so I don't even know how much of what I put in. :( But Fruit Cream Thing is good, I swear.

-Vision et al, someone FedEx me turkey and pie

Also, I can shoot bees.

Vision's Tanning Experiments: http://www.tanning.tribehawk.com/
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/17/2005 08:25 AM CST
Ooh, so many yummy recipes! I just saved the one for pfeffernuesse- though it looks like it could feed a LOT of people!

Ryeka who is starting to get VERY hungry!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/21/2005 12:08 PM CST
I bought all the ingredients for the Pepper Nuts yesterday...going to try this as the new thing this year!

Here's my recipe for the carrots casserole, sorry took so long to get it up.

1 lb carrots, slice in 1/4 inch rounds
2 T horseradish (not sauce)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 t salt
pinch pepper
1/2 C mayonnaise
1/4 C bread crumbs
2 T butter melted

Cook carrots til tender, drain but reserve 1/4 cup of cooking liquid. Mix liquid with horseradish, mayo, onion,salt and pepper.
Arrange carrots over bottom of buttered 9 in pie plate. Pour horseradish mixture over carrots. Mix bread crumbs with butter and sprinkle on top. Bake in 375 oven 20 minutes or until crumbs are nicely browned.

I usually double the recipe and put in a glass casserole container to cook without any problems.

Adera

Life is the journey, not the destination.
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/21/2005 01:12 PM CST

Thanks for the recipe Adera, going to definately have to try that.

For the Cream Cheese and Marshmallow recipe. You can also add a small jar of ice cream topping, strawberry or chocolate taste the best. My grandmother, however, loves it with the pineapple topping.

I started making this for Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago. Easy and tasty to boot.

Cream Puff Cake

Crust:
1 cup water
1 stick butter or margarine
1 cup flour
3-4 eggs depending on size

Melt butter in a pan, then add water. Boil. Remove from heat and mix in flour. Beat in each egg indivually until you have slimey lump of dough. Spread evenly in cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes on 350 until top is lightly browned. <The dough will rise and get bumpy so don't worry if it looks a little funny.>

Filling:
3 boxes of instant vanilla pudding
1 8 oz cream cheese
4 cups of milk

Soften cream cheese. Stir in milk and pudding until you have a custard. <can add more milk if you don't like it quite that thick>.

Pour filling over cooled dough. Top with whip cream and drizzle with chocolate.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

~Kameo
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/21/2005 07:24 PM CST
"Pepper Nuts"

Must not...under any circumstances...make a comment...

Player of:
Adzul the Cleric
Linus the Empath
Ignatius the Cleric
Ocatvius the Trader

"A friend will help you move -- A good friend will help you move a body."
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/22/2005 07:16 PM CST
This Thanksgiving, I'll be giving thanks for my mother-in-law. I know, I know, sounds crazy, doesn't it? But I'm telling you, I married into the right family. That woman can cook! I have never enjoyed such good ol' Southern cookin'! Here's one of her recipes that my husband loves, and after making it for my office potluck last Friday, I found out just how popular it can be. AND, it's Atkins-friendly.

I give to you...

BROCCOLI SALAD -- Stamper Family Style

* 1 or 2 heads of broccoli, cut up (no stems, just flowerlets)
* 1/2 to 1 red onion, chopped
* 4 to 8 ounces sunflower seeds
* 2 Tablespoons vinegar
* 3/4 pound cooked bacon, crumbled
* 1-1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
* 1 cup Miracle Whip
* 1/2 cup sugar (or Splenda)

Simply mix together shortly before serving. (Can be refrigerated.)

Happy Thanksgiving!

~ Cristin, player of Nabihle & Aavarine

"Come fairies, take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance
Upon the mountains like a flame." -- W.B. Yeats
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/22/2005 09:06 PM CST
BROCCOLI SALAD -- Stamper Family Style

* 1 or 2 heads of broccoli, cut up (no stems, just flowerlets)
* 1/2 to 1 red onion, chopped
* 4 to 8 ounces sunflower seeds
* 2 Tablespoons vinegar
* 3/4 pound cooked bacon, crumbled
* 1-1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
* 1 cup Miracle Whip
* 1/2 cup sugar (or Splenda)

Simply mix together shortly before serving. (Can be refrigerated.)

How many servings? Sounds like something just about everyone in my family might enjoy (amazingly, including most of the kids), but our large family gatherings are more the size of popular college classes than cozy get-togethers. Grandma's got something on the order of 4 dozen grandchildren and great-grandchildren, about a fourth of them coming from just one of her 9 children (for those keeping up with the scoring, that's about 14 children).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: What are you having for dinner? 11/23/2005 05:55 AM CST
>>How many servings?

Y'know, it doesn't say on the recipe card she gave me. But when she makes it, if she's following the same quantities, I'd say it's enough to feed about ten or twelve, I guess? I doubled the quantities for my office potluck, which gave about 30 people small servings (and some went back for seconds).

"Come fairies, take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance
Upon the mountains like a flame." -- W.B. Yeats