initial Elision testing 04/19/2018 06:04 AM CDT
I managed to get a min-prep Elision off on the second try with 275 Warding, Spec Luck, 100 Int, 92 Wis, and 68 Dis, and Warding Mastery.

It prevents you from being attacked physically. People and creatures who try just get RT from the attempt and you can watch them flail around with mirages and such. Amusing to watch. The peccaries I'm backtraining against were totally helpless, at-level black apes couldn't do much (see below).

Not sure if there's a contested check to overcome the spell, or it's just automatic since I'm probably rather overwhelming my opponents with stats.

It works with ranged attacks, by testing with a Thief and a stonebow. However, it only worked with FIRE. SNIPE and POACH carried through the attack, but I am well above my Thief, so I saw all the attacks and dodged effortlessly.

Also critters bypassed it with thrown attacks. However, going back to test thrown by Thief, he couldn't THROW, HURL, or LOB at me.

* Tentatively, a black ape throws an old bone at you. You evade, stepping aside.
The old bone lands nearby!
[You're solidly balanced with no advantage.]

A black ape snatches an old bone from the ground in a blur of motion and begins to look for a potential target.
The black ape begins to advance on you!
The black ape is still a distance away from you and is closing steadily.
The black ape closes to pole weapon range on you!
The black ape closes to melee range on you!
* Ineptly, a black ape throws an old bone at you. You dodge, leaping aside.
The old bone lands nearby!
[You're solidly balanced with no advantage.]
A black ape struggles to attack you in vain, busying itself with a mere figment.
A black ape struggles to attack you in vain, only managing to strike one of your mirror images.
A black ape snatches an old bone from the ground in a blur of motion and begins to look for a potential target.
A black ape digs into the earth for a moment before letting out a happy grunt upon finding an old bone!
A black ape struggles to attack you in vain, only managing to strike one of your mirror images.
A black ape struggles to attack you in vain. It stares right at you, yet cannot find you!
A black ape struggles to attack you in vain. It stares right at you, yet cannot find you!
A black ape struggles to attack you in vain, deceived by hallucinations of your making.

Naniaki Felyran

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: initial Elision testing 04/19/2018 08:05 AM CDT
Some follow-up testing.

Got attacked by a volunteer. With 100 in all stats, he could overcome Elision and attack with a weapon of any skill, but seemed to suffer greatly increased roundtime for it.

A while later (about 25 minutes ago), got a Send from Grejuva about some bug fixes that fixed all these and then some I didn't notice. Seems some Starlight Aura is drained per attack, but messaging wasn't appearing.

A loud roar fills the air as a black ape leaps into the area.
A black ape digs into the earth for a moment before letting out a happy grunt upon finding an old bone!
A black ape struggles to attack you in vain, deceived by hallucinations of your making.
Your starlight aura dims a little.

R>ass
You assess your combat situation...

You (solidly balanced) are facing a black ape (1) at missile range.
A black ape (1: solidly balanced) is facing you at missile range.

Thief failed to snipe and poach now.

Naniaki Felyran

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
Re: initial Elision testing 04/19/2018 08:15 AM CDT
>>Not sure if there's a contested check to overcome the spell

Charm vs Will, attacker and defender reversed.

>>he could overcome Elision and attack with a weapon of any skill, but seemed to suffer greatly increased roundtime for it.

The increased roundtime was another bug that's now fixed.

GM Grejuva
Re: initial Elision testing 04/19/2018 05:10 PM CDT
Possibly silly question, but if someone falls for the spell, do you have an opportunity for defensive exp?

It's a really neat spell, and if it makes it so you can't learn defenses like you can while having things like MAF up, I could see it getting more mileage during invasions/quests/events/PvP than daily PvE.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: initial Elision testing 04/20/2018 11:03 AM CDT
>Possibly silly question, but if someone falls for the spell, do you have an opportunity for defensive exp?
>It's a really neat spell, and if it makes it so you can't learn defenses like you can while having things like MAF up, I could see it getting more mileage during invasions/quests/events/PvP than daily PvE.

In that regard, Whole Displacement might be a more apt analogy than Manifest Force. When you close off a large avenue of attack, it's okay for defensive training to suffer. Should it instead train Warding? Possibly, but that's a bigger discussion than Elision.

GM Grejuva
Re: initial Elision testing 04/20/2018 11:33 AM CDT
I'll admit that my guess was Elision would be something that influenced the accuracy of attacks in a kinda/sorta vein of how CH influenced the damage of attacks, but didn't outright prevent that damage from even taking place.

It is a super cool spell–just has some impact on how/when/where I can see it being applied. Seriously, it's incredibly neat, unique and fitting to how Traders use their magic.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: initial Elision testing 04/20/2018 12:19 PM CDT
>In that regard, Whole Displacement might be a more apt analogy than Manifest Force.

This is what I thought of when I saw it's effects, but my volunteer attacker compared it probably more aptly to Innocence.

>I'll admit that my guess was Elision would be something that influenced the accuracy of attacks in a kinda/sorta vein of how CH influenced the damage of attacks, but didn't outright prevent that damage from even taking place.

The defender doesn't even get defense messaging that you had to defend, such as "blah blah combat scroll. Blah blah balance, blah winded, blah blah position bleh". It's awesome.

What's not awesome is that it will drain starlight aura per attack and when you run out of aura, the spell drops. I did not notice that until I went into my normal backtraining with it up with quite a duration left and noticed it fail early.

Naniaki Felyran

Re: initial Elision testing 04/20/2018 12:48 PM CDT
>>What's not awesome is that it will drain starlight aura per attack and when you run out of aura, the spell drops. I did not notice that until I went into my normal backtraining with it up with quite a duration left and noticed it fail early.

The drain is proportional to SvS success. At extreme success, there's none.

We could make the spell go dormant instead of dropping; I just assumed people wouldn't want every bit of their recovering starlight aura used up by random hits.

GM Grejuva
Re: initial Elision testing 04/20/2018 01:45 PM CDT
>The drain is proportional to SvS success. At extreme success, there's none.
>We could make the spell go dormant instead of dropping; I just assumed people wouldn't want every bit of their recovering starlight aura used up by random hits.

Eh, I'm fine with either.

Naniaki actually is very poorly set up for a Charm vs Will battle. For what you would expect from a 165th Trader, he has extremely poor Charisma (Charisma is, in fact, his lowest stat) and Discipline. Both have been on the short list for improvement for a while though as I find more reason to train them because of WO payouts and magic casting. I suppose, if I could throw more mana into the spell (eventually), it would also help, but that will be awhile yet for such an extremely difficult spell.

Also, I suppose, is the drain caused by effecting 3-4 critters whailing on the spell effect.

Re: initial Elision testing 04/22/2018 08:59 PM CDT
I'm somewhat the opposite as Charisma and Discipline are my top (Charisma because I kinda didn't know better and Discipline because I'm a dwarf), but Naniaki is 65 circles more advanced. He was also nice enough to spend a bit of time with me and gave me a great primer on magic (since I'm largely clueless about the system, hence running a Trader).

Began sparring a little while ago and lose more spars than I win and have been commented by Barbarians that I shrug at some of their roars.

I do like the payouts on work orders.

Balkomar (and pals)