A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/07/2019 09:19 AM CDT
Spell suggestions:

- Usability fix: Give regalia a secondary effect, maybe tied to bespoken regalia, which can be used on armor you're already wearing. Think Shield of Light, but tying into the trader's armor/evasion secondary status.
Suggestions: -stealth hindrance, armor repair, +construction, ablative damage shield for armor, +elemental resistance, starlight magnification, +attunement, infuses itself with starlight aura (aura camb) to act as a source indoors.

- New Spell: Shadowling for traders (or shadowling made non-signature) or tie +attunement heal to STC via a metaspell

- New Spell: A mind-based utility spell to increase duration of all spells currently on you, to cap. Adds 2-10 minutes to all battle spells, for example.

- New Spell: Jedi mind tricks (Augmentation) to buff wisdom, increase chance of pleading innocent, and increase work order rewards (xp/coin) - maybe also bundle any quality item with a work order while active.

- New Spell: Ritual to create night. Adds a room effect, something like a starry night. Mechanically sets sun = 0 in the room. Affects observation, moon mage spells, pyramids...

- New Spell: Instantly transport caravan to you. Union rules prevent use if it has a contract create on it, and can't be used while stabled.

- New Spell: (non-signature) Create missing body parts out of crystal. +agility (trader) / - agility (everyone else) and you can do things you normally couldn't do (hold a weapon with no hand).

- New Spell: Crystal transformation ritual. Sets vitality to 100, heals all wounds. Massive drain on starlight aura to maintain, reduced by mana. When the aura is depleted, all wounds return. Damage taken would drain starlight aura instead, further reducing the duration of the spell. Can't be healed while the spell is up.

Ability suggestions:

- Gem/furrier financing increases by 10 fold across the board (inflation), and create a recall option to show the state of their funds in the shops.

- Receive an alert and some trading experience when someone buys something from your shop, if you're in game and not in "sleep mode".

- Contacts: expanded to include free access to some or all of the new bank functions without MTX item

Trader Shop Addition:

- This would probably turn into an MTX item, but a favor-orb like creation that lets you absorb active field experience and then return it to you at a later time. Slowly or instantly. The idea is to use it when you're feasting on XP (many, many pouches) and to let it drain when you're in a famine phase, especially for certain skillsets. Traders could buy/make and sell consumable, generic ones. Unlimited ones targeting certain skills or sets could be found elsewhere.

Questions:

- What ever happened to that crafting helper summon thing that was being tossed around when trader magic was nearing completion? Is that dead, or still in dev?

- Are the capstone abilities barriers to new trader spells, or would the requirements change? ie: 8 of 9 spells for enrichment rather than all spells.
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/08/2019 04:39 AM CDT
>>Regalia

I like the idea of starlight-magnifying armor, but it would either cost an extra slot or be a new metaspell. On a related note, several spell tweaks will be coming soonish, one of which should make Regalia refreshable.

>>What ever happened to that crafting helper summon thing that was being tossed around when trader magic was nearing completion? Is that dead, or still in dev?

It's still planned. There are just other Trader spells I'd like to write first.

>>Are the capstone abilities barriers to new trader spells, or would the requirements change? ie: 8 of 9 spells for enrichment rather than all spells.

The capstone prereqs might change up to a certain point.

>>Abilities

Although I'm not currently working on non-magic Trader systems, I'll happily say that there's another GM who is very interested in those and has already been getting their toes wet for some updates.

GM Grejuva
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/08/2019 08:09 AM CDT

> I like the idea of starlight-magnifying armor, but it would either cost an extra slot or be a new metaspell.

I think this is fair. It could even be a series of metaspells similar to how the old moonblade and current summonable weapons work. The only thing I would request is that you could use your current armor. With enchanting, flares, rare metals, etc... becoming so prevalent, it makes creation spells less and less desired. Armor also isn't like weapons, where there are practical reasons to downgrade as your character gains more power.

> On a related note, several spell tweaks will be coming soonish, one of which should make Regalia refreshable.

Great to hear. Any chance we could have the duration of enrichment looked at? I would ask for it to become a ritual or cyclic and only drain starlight on the initial cast.
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/08/2019 10:53 AM CDT
>>Any chance we could have the duration of enrichment looked at? I would ask for it to become a ritual or cyclic and only drain starlight on the initial cast.

Enrichment is far too powerful to ever be allowed full uptime. At best, a future possibility is to replace the starlight requirement with a strict cooldown.

GM Grejuva
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/08/2019 02:53 PM CDT
It does do a lot, which it should at 4-7 spell slots due to the current state of regalia. Even then though, how powerful are these effects for a capstone ability? How many of them would you really want at one time? I'd argue that 2-3 are far more valuable than the rest (potentially changing?).

Instead, I'd love to see it balanced around the trader themselves, and the choices made with the character. Maybe tie it to a hard selection, such as learning a certain number of techs in a craft opens up a new cast option. Maybe your top three crafting skills? Maybe a permanent discipline choice, such as sects for moon mages, but with real and lasting impacts. Maybe it would make sense for enrichment to be a 0 cost container spell or normal cost spell, and you dedicate spell slots (or crafting techniques??) into metaspells opening up cast options? Likewise, regalia could be a guild ability similar to summoned weapons, and the metaspells could exist to open up functionality you want.

I'm going to list out what I'm thinking. I'm not necessarily suggesting this (although I would love it), but something like this would be a nice trader niche.

1. Starlight cost only on startup.

2. Regalia's +1 changed to be one of four new secondary effects (whether it creates armor or not). I say this because almost all traders will already have T5-T6+ gear, often with a new effects. This is only going to increase when enchanting is released.

3. Duration increased. Either as a ritual or long, normal spell.

4. Cast mods:

> Cast Amethyst (default abilities, balanced):

- Starcrash hits +1

- Casting regalia on yourself gives you a +defending buff (Amethyst)

> Cast Fluorite (single-target offense, Engineering):

- Regalia can be cast on others to increase weight, hindrance, and stealth hindrance of the peace (infused with fluorite).

- ARS pulses faster.

> Cast Diamond (Defense, Forging):

- Regalia gives +parry or ablative vitality shield

- Trabe chalice impact protection

> Cast Sapphire (Magic Utility, Enchanting):

- Regalia cast on self will repair your armor or weapons or tools (mended by pure starlight, RT if you don't have techs)

- +Wisdom, +Attunement

> Cast Topaz (Outfitting, Stealth):

- Regalia reduces stealth hindrance

- Perception penalty (via visions/illusions) to everything at melee or +disc.

> Cast Emerald (Survival utility, Alchemy):

- Regalia casts blood staunch and reduces armor weight (persists through death, can be ressed)

- +Athletics

> Avtalia Array and Regalia +1 apply to everything or are broken out to their own spells.
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/09/2019 11:57 AM CDT

While we're on the topic, a few additional QOL/usability requests/questions for when you're examining trader spells.

1. Can you let Trabe Chalice be replaced at any time? It already needs baby sitting since impact damage is so common, but we can't release it or replace it with an equal cast unless it's already gone.

2. Is it a bug for Mask of the Moons to trigger on a warrior mage's fissure?

3. Can starlight fuel AVA to remove the moon requirement? Probably no, but it never hurts to ask.

4. Can ARS automatically shift to the next target we're facing or go dormant if not facing anything?

5. Can we add a spamable augmentation spell in the 250-1000 range?
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/09/2019 12:42 PM CDT
>>1. Can you let Trabe Chalice be replaced at any time? It already needs baby sitting since impact damage is so common, but we can't release it or replace it with an equal cast unless it's already gone.

Nope. It's even more frontloaded and efficient than Manifest Force, and making it refreshable would be problematic. We could slightly uptweak the self-repair rate, though.

>>2. Is it a bug for Mask of the Moons to trigger on a warrior mage's fissure?

I'm not observing this. Is there a log?

>>3. Can starlight fuel AVA to remove the moon requirement? Probably no, but it never hurts to ask.

It already can, to produce the brightness effect. We may make the starlight option provide both effects at once in a way that benefits the caster.

>>4. Can ARS automatically shift to the next target we're facing or go dormant if not facing anything?

Nope. At that point it just becomes a Starlight Sphere that is superior in every way. Arbiter's Stylus is the quickest cyclic in the game.

>>5. Can we add a spamable augmentation spell in the 250-1000 range?

I'm not very inclined to write spells just for training purposes. Doesn't Symbiosis help with that?

GM Grejuva
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/09/2019 02:06 PM CDT
> Nope. It's even more frontloaded and efficient than Manifest Force, and making it refreshable would be problematic. We could slightly uptweak the self-repair rate, though.

That would help.

> I'm not observing this. Is there a log?

I don't have a log for fissure, but I'll see what I can reproduce. As an aside, and this one may be intentional, but here's response to zephyr:

>A gentle cool breeze continues to swirl around you.

>Your mask of sparkling tricolor moonsmoke intensifies and throws Stahgar's spell pattern out of control!

> It already can, to produce the brightness effect. We may make the starlight option provide both effects at once in a way that benefits the caster.

Is there a skill requirement, or am I just doing it wrong?

> I'm not very inclined to write spells just for training purposes. Doesn't Symbiosis help with that?

Fair point. I'm not sure what'll happen when I have a few hundred more ranks of magic, but we'll see when I get there.
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/09/2019 02:09 PM CDT

And PS:

> We may make the starlight option provide both effects at once in a way that benefits the caster.

This would be great.
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/10/2019 01:00 PM CDT
>>4. Can ARS automatically shift to the next target we're facing or go dormant if not facing anything?

>Nope. At that point it just becomes a Starlight Sphere that is superior in every way. Arbiter's Stylus is the quickest cyclic in the game.

This is good to know. Although a part of me still wants to ask for some kind of lesser version of it that keeps going, because I'm used to my Bard/MM and recasting is so annoying! Alas.

A few other small bits of feedback:

- I never use Regalia because I can just buy/make better armor. I'd rather see this somehow boost what we're already wearing.

- Starlight aura/moons requirements are even more convoluted for this guild than for MMs, and it makes my eyes cross sometimes. A little more clarity in Discern would help a lot.

- I need to play with Avtalia Array a bit more, but this spell would be a lot more useful if there were some way (skill, spell, item, whatever) that let us focus on our cambrinth with no RT.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/10/2019 03:38 PM CDT
>- I need to play with Avtalia Array a bit more, but this spell would be a lot more useful if there were some way (skill, spell, item, whatever) that let us focus on our cambrinth with no RT.

There's no focus roundtime if you've invoked it first. But then you've invoked it, so that's no always helpful.

“I’m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.”
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/11/2019 01:48 PM CDT
>>There's no focus roundtime if you've invoked it first. But then you've invoked it, so that's no always helpful.

Right. My idea would be to focus without RT so I can see how much extra mana I have built up, and then invoke it for the right amount.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/11/2019 02:29 PM CDT
>>My idea would be to focus without RT so I can see how much extra mana I have built up, and then invoke it for the right amount.

That would be nice, especially since focusing uncharged cambrinth has a much longer roundtime than focusing charged cambrinth for some reason.

But, be cautious doing that with Avtalia Array, if it pulses after invoking a set amount your invoke will be changed to use the full amount. I've fried my nerves more than once doing that.

“I’m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.”
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/11/2019 03:40 PM CDT

You know, it would be interesting if you could daisychain your cambrinth via the array.

- Focus array would show you the sum of all camb you're wearing, 0 or 1 RT.

- Invoke array # would work like a single cambrinth, but it draws from the sum of all camb you're wearing.
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/11/2019 08:57 PM CDT
>- Focus array would show you the sum of all camb you're wearing, 0 or 1 RT.

>- Invoke array # would work like a single cambrinth, but it draws from the sum of all camb you're wearing.

Brilliant. Would love, love this.

- Navesi

Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/12/2019 06:52 AM CDT
>>You know, it would be interesting if you could daisychain your cambrinth via the array.

- Focus array would show you the sum of all camb you're wearing, 0 or 1 RT.

- Invoke array # would work like a single cambrinth, but it draws from the sum of all camb you're wearing.

I love this idea! While my main trader doesn't have the skill to control that much mana, several others do. It would be great to have a reason to do so.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 04/18/2019 04:17 PM CDT

Just following up here. I've asked a few warrior mages to help out by making and closing fissures. I wasn't able to reproduce any problems with Mask of Moon. This was probably me and not the spell.
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 05/15/2019 10:33 PM CDT

> Enrichment is far too powerful to ever be allowed full uptime. At best, a future possibility is to replace the starlight requirement with a strict cooldown.

So I've been playing with this spell a bit, and I can't figure out what I'm missing. Does it dramatically change at the upper end, because the power seems lack-luster as a constant effect, let alone with the massive starlight cost, which is still better than a straight up CD in this case.

Here's what I'm seeing.

- *AVA prep time*: -8 seconds on the prep, or -7 if you have the TM feat. Useful function, IMO. 6/10.
- - Basically turns AVA into the rough equivalent to a barbarian spell or thief khri. Almost like wildfire or hasten, but less useful since it seems to only affect the initial cast of a cyclic.
- - Still relies on a tertiary skillset to power it, and to do damage.
- - Only really takes effect when you prep the spell, which happens once per mob, at most.

- *TRC impact resistance*: Great feature for PvP or where you're fighting a boss mob. 8/10.
- - It still seems PvP centric. If you're getting hit enough that impact damage is the make or break in PvE then you're hunting way out of your league.
- - It's highly limited in PvE, since you have to know when the big hit is coming at least 30 seconds before it hits.
- - You can't "scream defiance" or "protect self" or otherwise quickly cast this spell to get the emergency benefit while you're in danger. If you're at that point, you're already dead or you're running, not casting.

- Starcrash: AOE spell now hits 3 targets instead of 2. 1/10.
- - Again, tertiary skill with hefty mana investment.
- - The trader AOE seems to be gimped out the gate to give it this improvement.
- - The starlight drain makes it not so great for farming purposes (why people primarily use AOE spells).
- - The other use is the rare invasion/quest, but due to the very hefty drain on enrichment, you're not casting the spell a lot before you're sidelined due to burning out of starlight.
- - To my knowledge, this is the only(?) AOE spell that hits less than three targets to begin with, and also the only AOE spell that has a secondary resource requirement to cast.

- Regalia: Gives +1 to the armor bonus to regalia. 0/10.
- - I'm sure this will get some love with the rewrites. This could could be amazing and iconic, but right now it's a cantrip and roughly equivalent to a warrior mage ability, just with less function, less competitiveness (PvE weapons generally aren't chosen for oomph), and way more risk/slot investment. The only reason to get this spell is for enrichment, which turns enrichment into a 7 slot ability.
- - If you're PvPing, you don't want your armor dispelled, or you need better.
- - If you're PvE'ing, your defenses are probably high enough that you have better static armor.
- - If you're farming, you don't care about armor.

- Avtalia Array 3x mana buff: Gives passive mana. That's good 5/10.
- - The mana buff is nice, but it's unreliable. There's a good chance you're capped out in cambrinth, if you wear a lot, or you lack the skill to effectively use the really big ones.
- - Most of your spells are still limited by starlight, which you're using a second, more unreliable mana pool.

I feel like I'm missing something. Can you help me figure out what this is?
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 05/15/2019 10:49 PM CDT

PS: For comparison, I want to point out a few of the other, high-slot spells roughly on par with this. This isn't about GvG. It's to point out precedent. All of these are up 24/7.

Cleric, Benediction: +Agility, +Strength, +Reflex. Non-battle.
- This boils down into a stacking buffs for the following: TM accuracy, stealth, locksmithing, athletics, performance, skinning, crafting RT, burden, parry, evasion, shield, brawling, weapon RT, evasion, tactics, +hit contests and various SvS contests (offense and defense).

Warrior mage, Aegis of Granite: +Shield Usage skill, +Stamina (stat), +Strength (stat)
- Athletics, shield, evasion, parry, brawling, fatigue regen and pool, crafting RT, encumbrance, health pool, and various SvS contests.

Warrior mage, Mantle of Flame: +Weapons, agility, fire brawling damage
- +9 weapon skills, parry, weapon rt, brawling, weapon to-hit, locksmithing, performance, skinning, stealth, light source, and various SvS contests.

Moon Mage, Invocation of the Spheres: Any pairing from +Int./+Dis., +Wis./+Cha, or +Ref./+Agi. (some limitations)
- Too many possibilities to list.

Barbarian, Tornado: using as an example as their slot costs are all over the place and abilities are still "unique", also 2 slot spell: +Shield Usage skill, +Stamina (stat)
- Shield skill, fatigue, evasion, brawling, health pool (which includes the passive damage shield from vitality), SvS buffs.

Empath, Aesandry Darlaeth: Reflex, balance, anti-immobilization/webbing.
- pulses to clear immobalize, passive balance regen, shield, parry, evasion, brawling, tactics, tailoring RT, stealth, and various SvS contests.

Bard, Multiple spells and rituals: too many to name. Most of these come with cyclic requirements, but each ritual gives a 24/7 buff to one stat and gives 1-2 secondary effects on top of this ranging from passive secondary resource regen, changes spell damage types, or buffs various skills (including one of the only sorcery buffs).

Thief, similar to bards or barbarians. They even include faster prep times for weapons in addition to weapon damage as an always on ability.

PPS: Please don't read this as a negative critique of traders. I love the thematic style of the abilities, and I do think the kit is a great start to rounding them out. I just think this one is a little under-powered when I try to use it, especially for PvE.
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 05/17/2019 03:29 PM CDT
>>For comparison, I want to point out a few of the other, high-slot spells roughly on par with this.

It's not because of the number of effects. Enriched TRC and Starcrash in particular simply cannot exist without heavy limitation. Enriched Regalia is already capable of full uptime because Enrichment is only checked at the time of armor creation. The other effects could, theoretically, be tuned for higher uptime should they be separated from Enrichment.

>>[Starcrash] is the only(?) AOE spell that hits less than three targets

Given how fast it pulses (on random targets each time), that only means it reaches its full potential at 2-3 targets rather than a regular AoE's 6 targets. Perhaps it isn't apparent with lower mana casts, but a capped Starcrash, even without Enrichment, is one of the highest DPS spells in the game overall, and rivaled by none at 2-3 targets. That said, the mana cost will be coming down.

GM Grejuva
Re: A few random suggestions and questions on trader development 05/17/2019 07:08 PM CDT
Thanks for the response.

> Enriched TRC

Is this only checked on application, like Regalia?

> Starcrash in particular simply cannot exist without heavy limitation.
> Given how fast it pulses (on random targets each time), that only means it reaches its full potential at 2-3 targets rather than a regular AoE's 6 targets.
> a capped Starcrash, even without Enrichment, is one of the highest DPS spells in the game overall

That's really interesting. Are there any shareable numbers on how much PM/Wisdom/Attunement would be required to keep it up 100% of the time at night with and without enrichment (before or after the mana reduction)? Does it become less effective than a cyclic or straight cast AOE TM at 4, 5, or 6 targets? (generally when you want AOEs, there's a lot of targets in the room to hit).

I assume not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

> Enriched Regalia is already capable of full uptime because Enrichment is only checked at the time of armor creation.

Also good to know. I look forward to seeing this spell gain some use during the rewrite.

I'm going to harp on this for a bit, so feel free to ignore everything below if I'm preaching to the choir. TL;DR: For the low, low cost of 10% of the trader's spell slots, half of their maximum secondary resource, and multiple armorsmithing techniques, they can produce temporary armor roughly equivalent to HCS. Most traders, by the time they can cast this spell, will already have better gear just from playing the game. They will definitely have better gear from incidentals dropped in an MT event or two. They don't even have to participate. They can get it from other players.

As it is now, regalia is pretty but functionally useless. Enrichment and bespoke regalia is a heavy cost to give it a small function, but it's still not worth it. Like weapons, the weight eventually doesn't matter. Unlike weapons, there isn't a point where you want objectively worse gear to prolong learning.

Here's an example:

This test brought me from 4/8ths starlight to 1/8th.

Crafted gear, using easy to come by or store-bought materials

This is low-density lumium greaves.
> > You feel certain that some lumium scale greaves crafted from tempered scales appear to impose light (2/8) maneuvering hindrance and fair (3/8) stealth hindrance, offering:
> > very good (6/15) protection and great (11/17) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
> > good (5/15) protection and great (11/17) damage absorption for slice attacks.
> > good (5/15) protection and great (11/17) damage absorption for impact attacks.
> > good (5/15) protection and high (9/17) damage absorption for fire attacks.
> > good (5/15) protection and high (9/17) damage absorption for cold attacks.
> > fair (3/15) protection and good (7/17) damage absorption for electrical attacks.

Here's a quick set I just crafted from high-carbon steel weighted with platinum - ONLY OUTSTANDING quality, so someone with skill could likely produce something roughly equivalent to regalia +2.
> > You feel certain that some steel scale greaves appear to impose light (2/8) maneuvering hindrance and fair (3/8) stealth hindrance, offering:
> > high (7/15) protection and extreme (13/17) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
> > very good (6/15) protection and extreme (13/17) damage absorption for slice attacks.
> > very good (6/15) protection and extreme (13/17) damage absorption for impact attacks.
> > moderate (4/15) protection and good (7/17) damage absorption for fire attacks.
> > moderate (4/15) protection and good (7/17) damage absorption for cold attacks.
> > low (2/15) protection and somewhat fair (4/17) damage absorption for electrical attacks.

Conjured gear

This is my straight cast regalia on legs without the tech or enrichment (+0) Result: worse than common gear in every way.
> > You feel certain that some rough-cut crystal scale greaves appear to impose light (2/8) maneuvering hindrance and fair (3/8) stealth hindrance, offering:
> > very good (6/15) protection and great (11/17) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
> > good (5/15) protection and great (11/17) damage absorption for slice attacks.
> > good (5/15) protection and great (11/17) damage absorption for impact attacks.
> > fair (3/15) protection and moderate (6/17) damage absorption for fire attacks.
> > fair (3/15) protection and moderate (6/17) damage absorption for cold attacks.
> > low (2/15) protection and somewhat fair (4/17) damage absorption for electrical attacks.

This is an enriched regalia on legs without the tech (+1) - roughly equivalent to common, 24/7 gear while still having worse elementals.
> > You feel certain that some faceted crystal scale greaves appear to impose light (2/8) maneuvering hindrance and fair (3/8) stealth hindrance, offering:
> > moderate (4/15) protection and good (7/17) damage absorption for fire attacks.
> > moderate (4/15) protection and good (7/17) damage absorption for cold attacks.

This is an enriched regalia on legs with the tech, but without enrichment (+1)
> > You feel certain that some faceted crystal scale greaves appear to impose light (2/8) maneuvering hindrance and fair (3/8) stealth hindrance, offering:

This is an enriched regalia on legs, with the tech (+2) - Only slightly better elementals than common gear.
> > You feel certain that some resplendent crystal scale greaves appear to impose light (2/8) maneuvering hindrance and fair (3/8) stealth hindrance, offering:
> > high (7/15) protection and extreme (13/17) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
> > very good (6/15) protection and extreme (13/17) damage absorption for slice attacks.
> > very good (6/15) protection and extreme (13/17) damage absorption for impact attacks.
> > moderate (4/15) protection and very good (8/17) damage absorption for fire attacks.
> > moderate (4/15) protection and very good (8/17) damage absorption for cold attacks.
> > low (2/15) protection and fair (5/17) damage absorption for electrical attacks.