Trader Magic - Basic Questions 01/07/2018 05:20 PM CST
Hey everyone,

I'm dusting off my 146th circle Trader in TF to play around with magic. Apparently I missed the spell preview, but no big deal. However, the Negotiants don't seem to think I'm worthy of learning a new spell. Are spells earned based on magic ranks? Here's my current magic skills:

Circle: 146
Showing Magic skills regardless of rank.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Lunar Magic: 0 00% clear (0/34) Attunement: 0 00% clear (0/34)
Arcana: 234 58% clear (0/34) Targeted Magic: 162 06% clear (0/34)
Augmentation: 0 00% clear (0/34) Debilitation: 0 00% clear (0/34)
Utility: 0 00% clear (0/34) Warding: 0 00% clear (0/34)
Sorcery: 47 91% clear (0/34)

Total Ranks Displayed: 443
Magic Average: 49 Skills Included: 9

Not to beat a dead horse, but it does seem really odd that we aren't grandfathered any ranks...or given any spells to start?

Maybe I'm missing something basic here. I assume that I can invoke a scroll like Ease to begin learning? But under the "Apprentice Spells" program, I'd have access to spells of each skill to start. Instead I can invoke 1 at a time until I earn enough ranks to qualify to learn a spell? I realize this is somewhat of a special case, but every returning trader above 10th circle will be in this situation. At a minimum, I feel like I should be able to cast a spell from each book to begin learning.

Anyway, if there is some simple solution to this that I'm missing, please point me in the right direction. Thank you,
Re: Trader Magic - Basic Questions 01/07/2018 05:37 PM CST
So far, I've discovered that I can perceive similar to moon mages:

Xibar
Yavash
Katamba
Fabrication
Illusion
Noematics

...anything else I'm missing?
Re: Trader Magic - Basic Questions 01/07/2018 06:26 PM CST
Ok, apparently the preview isn't over yet, which is very welcome news. However, my original point stands. A returning trader will have few options for training.
Re: Trader Magic - Basic Questions 01/07/2018 06:30 PM CST
No one can learn the spells while they are on preview. You just cast them.

__
Amybecka
Re: Trader Magic - Basic Questions 01/07/2018 06:41 PM CST
Yeah, I was typoing a spell, my bad. And I assumed that spells were granted based on EXP, because of the message from the Negotiants. If it is circle based, there won't be an issue.
Re: Trader Magic - Basic Questions 01/07/2018 07:58 PM CST
You get spell slots just like any other magic tert. You just can't ask the Negotiants to teach you the spells until the extended preview is over.
Re: Trader Magic - Basic Questions 01/08/2018 11:29 AM CST

> ...anything else I'm missing?

mana

moons

aura

I think planets too, but I'm not sure off-hand.

> In defense of whoever posted it, that's actually the GM stance, that you can't boost all the crafting skills with a spell.

Be glad traders have three. I remember muse being nerfed because it boosted two. (It would be nice for that be re-considered).

You can pick up enchanting buffs (native) with Artificer's Eye.

You can get an alchemy buff (if it's your highest, with sorcery) via Whisper's of the Muse. You can also pick up Researcher's Insight if you're willing to cast necro spells.
Re: Trader Magic - Basic Questions 01/08/2018 11:41 AM CST
>>Be glad traders have three. I remember muse being nerfed because it boosted two. (It would be nice for that be re-considered).

Keep in mind that WOTM was a totally different animal – it boosted your top two crafting skills, as opposed to two specific crafting skills. Boosting your highest skill is still a pretty good boon.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Trader Magic - Basic Questions 01/08/2018 11:46 AM CST

> Keep in mind that WOTM was a totally different animal – it boosted your top two crafting skills, as opposed to two specific crafting skills. Boosting your highest skill is still a pretty good boon.

It's unique. That's a good thing, but when I was actively playing my bard, I would have happily traded a "boost your top crafting skill" for "boost 4/5 crafting skills without using sorcery, and the 5th one is alchemy"