How Item Value Gets Inflated 03/24/2006 03:45 PM CST
This is rather funny. Currently there is a "well-worn badge engraved with the word "EXPLORER" surrounded by a torn web" up for sell through DR Sales. It is nothing more than an anniversary item from the Web Migration. Yay. This item has been floating around for sell by different players ever since it was given out, at a reasonable price. I find it is a nifty looking badge myself nevermind the 'historical' value. Some might want it for other reasons, but either way, nothing outstanding about it. (The Web Key would be worth more if history dictated such value, and it isn't worth that much).

Until lately. There is a little back-and-forth auction going on, which I'm involved in, as one of the bidders, and the badge has reached a 55 plat price (overpriced by far, but I'm getting to that). Apparently this has led some to believe it is worth much, MUCH more than even this paltry price. I think the current list from a new seller puts the minimum bid at....drum roll....1,500 plats. Obviously ridiculous and I wouldn't even pay such a ludicrious suggestion any mind except it is a perfect example to show how a simple trinket can become a thousand plat item, based solely on a handful of players bidding on one person's auction for it. A handful of players who don't mind paying a bit more for some items because we just want it and are too lazy to shop around or haggle about it cause the coin is plentiful. Then to say the item is now 'worth' this amount based on such a skewed survey of buyers? By any sane business projection, no. For that matter, lets increase it's value by a 1000 fold because now greed has reared its ugly head.

I believe this shows a real good example of understanding item worth, market worth, and folks who don't know either but are trying to snooker someone based on the perceived hype of both.

A handful (I'll grant 5 players are bidding on it) dictate the total value for this item to hundreds of players in DR. Truly an amazing power.

To quote, "worth much more than MB listed, just check with Prescious on this". Remember, the MB is 1500 plats. Indeed.

Gidske
Re: How Item Value Gets Inflated 03/24/2006 03:50 PM CST
There was that time recently where loads of people paid good dollars to get as many plats as possible. Those kinda of events wont be helping the problem. They called it a fest, just another way of getting cheap plats.

I don't mind too much, I have what I want. I can't see how new players are supposed to get into the game and have the same level of fun when things are being pushed higher and higher by various ooc means.

Rick.
Re: How Item Value Gets Inflated 03/24/2006 04:05 PM CST
Severe top-end stuff is always gonna keep going up, but luckily the presence of player creation systems makes having awesome equipment very, very doable.

I'll be even more glad when new player creation systems open up and more markets are flooded. PC creation is the only thing capable of keeping prices down when you have an infinite supply of money circulating through the system.

Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Ranger, Warrior Mage

Re: How Item Value Gets Inflated 03/25/2006 03:22 AM CST
My take:

If someone is so stupid that they will pay 1500 or more plats for some worthless piece of crap, more power to them. I will pat the man on the back who makes the sale.

-Fuquois-

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire
Re: How Item Value Gets Inflated 03/31/2006 09:25 PM CST
Didn't those badges actually come from a GM Wedding?

Shadeau Raysen-Moonith,
Player of.

--
(Drongol dislikes you.)
Re: How Item Value Gets Inflated 04/01/2006 07:35 AM CST
Yes, it was a party/wedding event that was held sometime last year (?). The badge isn't from the migration, just a party to honor those who migrated.

"Come fairies, take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance
Upon the mountains like a flame." -- W.B. Yeats
Re: How Item Value Gets Inflated 04/01/2006 08:48 AM CST
Does that mean I can turn around and sell the gift from Eruwyn's event yesterday for 1k plat?

Shadeau Raysen-Moonith,
Player of.

--
(Drongol dislikes you.)
Re: How Item Value Gets Inflated 04/01/2006 10:50 AM CST
You can sell anything for any price, so long as you find a willing buyer. This is why you will find achaedi crystals (for instance) selling in the Crossing market for 10,000pK. I laughed so hard when I saw that.

-Fuquois-

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire

"Barbarians should not have a bonus to forging."
- DiminishedAngel
Re: How Item Value Gets Inflated 04/04/2006 10:50 AM CDT
I've never seen the crystals sell that much... but at least they have a function.

Shadeau Raysen-Moonith,
Player of.

--
(Drongol dislikes you.)
Re: How Item Value Gets Inflated 04/24/2006 12:40 PM CDT
Greetings,

< This is why you will find achaedi crystals (for instance) selling in the Crossing market for 10,000pK. I laughed so hard when I saw that.>

Wrong! It's not for sale for 10,000 plat, it's 9,999 plat. Actually it's not even really for sale. It's there for passing customers to use. I put a tag on it so people would stop asking me how much I wanted for it. Why did I pick 9,999? Simple. That was the highest I could price it for and if someone were wealthy enough to buy it for that much I'd happily let them.

Of course I don't expect anyone to go that high. I'm glad you got a nice chuckle out of it though.

Prescious
Re: How Item Value Gets Inflated 09/02/2006 08:41 PM CDT
Remember all, the new LTB system will make available almost every single old quest item, unless I'm mistaken.

Sell those archaedi crystals while you can, because I'll bet good money they'll be much more available once the LTB tent opens (if people make smart choices).
Re: How Item Value Gets Inflated 09/03/2006 09:36 AM CDT
Chances are, "every single old quest item" will NOT be available for choosing. The way it was in the past, you could choose from a small selection of some old quest items, and I won't be too surprised if those rare ones, like the achaedi crystals, aren't offered this time around either.

"Come fairies, take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance
Upon the mountains like a flame." -- W.B. Yeats
Re: How Item Value Gets Inflated 09/03/2006 11:45 AM CDT
It's open in Plat, right? Anyone there posted the contents yet?
Re: How Item Value Gets Inflated 09/03/2006 12:37 PM CDT
I won't post the entire contents because it's huge for starters and I would not do so with out Zads persmssion. However, I while the selection is huge and there are lots of old quest items there is not nearly every old quest item in the shop, and there is NOT currently archaedi crystals in the LTB area. The items vary widely some are not even final quest items there are several items that fall under the catagory of randomly found items on a quest and many items which I can't locate on any quest lists. I think the tradional super vauled quest items don't generally appear in the LTB area. No lion gauntlts, no Jousting shield, no Teleport hammer, no archadei crystal. That being said there are still tons of quest items were are very useful and fun and sought after.

Events make the land live and breath over the normalcy of everyday hunting,foraging ect. It is the RP aspect that brings out people to live the game.

GM Shakahn on events in prime