Teach me economics! (A bit long) 10/12/2003 11:26 PM CDT
Okay, these thoughts and questions have been tossing in my head the past few days. While I've always been interested in the economics of Elanthia (especially those for gems), I realized the other day that I don't actually know how it works.

When I played a trader, I was always told...get more charisma, get more trading for good prices. But I was never told (or did my own research) to find out how these things directly affected prices.

So, here are my thoughts that I have concocted to so far. Correct me where I am wrong.

Assumption 1: There are at least two types of items in game.

A. Range priced items such as gemstones (IE When a small rock crystal pops up in the treasure system it has a random price range between X-Y.)

B. Fixed priced items such as a weapon or other object you might buy at a store or merchant, so forth. (This is excluding haggling, charisma, trading, all that stuff. The item itself has a fixed price.)

Assumption 2: A character's appraisal has no effect on how much they sell it for, only how much they appraise it for.

Assumption 3: Charisma affects how much a merchant likes or dislikes you. So, higher charisma means bartering further down when buying, and bartering up when selling.

Assumption 4: The Trading skill is like a "bonus" on top of the general buying/selling mechanics, that goes hand in hand with charisma. However they are two separate entities. Thus, the reason traders get better prices (besides training there charisma high) is they have an additional bonus for price based on the trading skill.

Assumption 5: Both charisma and trading bonus have caps. (Still a bit fuzzy on that one.)

Okay, so there you have it. If I'm wrong about something, please tell me. I'm intensely interesting in the economical mechanics.

--Vyraka--
Gorbesh Checks and Balances Department
Re: Teach me economics! (A bit long) 10/12/2003 11:37 PM CDT
Oh yes, I forgot to provide an example.

Say the treasure system spits out a small rock crystal with the hard price (for non-traders) at 90 lirum.

So a barbarian goes to sell her/his crystal and has below the charisma cap for the rock crystal, so s/he will get less than 90. However, once s/he reaches the cap, s/he gets 90.

Instead of selling, (I'm going with a him now because the s/he stuff is starting to annoy me), he gives his crystal to a trader.

The trader has below the charisma cap however has a % trading bonus that will allow to get a little bit more. She then hands it off to another trader who has the charisma cap AND the trading cap and get a % MORE than the "hard price" for the crystal.

Meaning every item has a hard cap for non-traders, and traders have a hard cap on their bonus.

Am I wrong?

--Vyraka--

Gorbesh Checks and Balances Department
Re: Teach me economics! (A bit long) 10/13/2003 07:29 AM CDT
Charisma plays no role in selling for non-Traders. Charisma for them only affects purchases. So your 1st circle Barbarian with 7 Charisma is going to have the same chance on a sell as a 100th circle Paladin with 50 Charisma.

Charisma does affect selling for Traders. Circle affects it even more though.

The randomness of +/-% of what they get for the sell affects everyone. It is just a Trader's bonus will eventually wipe out any chance of them having a below appraisal sell.

Gidske
|A Filthy Rich Trader
Re: Teach me economics! (A bit long) 10/13/2003 09:59 AM CDT
that only affects what a trader sells to the gemshop or the furriers though.

Traders do get more at the pawnshop too, but only if the item isn't "worthless" to the pawn guy. The pawn system in prime is Beyond broken.

Pawn Broker Bagsodoks

~Weak of arm, lousy roars;
terrible aim, awful health;
broken fingers, no real stealth;
leave em dead, cause you cant do more; lost your coins, on the floor;
greetings! now you're out the door~
>