Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/01/2003 03:18 PM CDT
<<It's one thing to restrict usage when something new comes out (as when gem pouches came out) but it's entirely another matter to take something away when it's been granted to everyone since the beginning.>>

There have been a lot of things that have been lost and gained that we took for granted or expected never to get. I am sure a lot of people would complain we all do when something is taken away.

I still dont understand restricing bundle sales would be such a awful thing to do. sure people would complain. I complain about a lot of things and will continue to.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/02/2003 02:58 PM CDT
Honestly, I'm not quite sure why gem pouch selling is Trader-only and bundle-selling is wanted to be made Trader-only.

All gem pouch selling being limited to traders only does (for me, at least) is make me run my gem selling script. I'm not seeing the advantage Traders have by only having this.

Now, if anything, Traders should get a 'bonus' for selling a full bundle or full gem pouch. Sorta a "Hey, thanks for not wasting my time with only 3 gems in this pouch, you filled it up with all 68 (or whatever the limit is), have an extra (trading skill/50)% bonus (or whatever the formula could be).

Or, maybe make it based on the amount the pouch/bundle is full as well.

If a pouch is 50% full, you get 50% of your extra trading "Hey, you brought me a lot of stuff at once good job" money bonus. If the pouch is 100% full, you get the full benefit.
Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/02/2003 04:50 PM CDT
>Honestly, I'm not quite sure why gem pouch selling is Trader-only and bundle-selling is wanted to be made Trader-only.

>All gem pouch selling being limited to traders only does (for me, at least) is make me run my gem selling script. I'm not seeing the advantage Traders have by only having this.

That's fine, if you don't mind waiting for your script to sell all your gems 1 by 1, that's always an option. But I don't think you are in the majority. Many people DON'T want to take forever, and do see an advantage to having a Trader help them (other than just the fact that a Trader will get them more money). If bundles were set up the same way, where non-Traders could always run a script to sell their pelts one at a time, or they could get help from a Trader to sell the whole thing at once, you would see a HUGE increase in the number of people looking for Traders to sell their bundles (even though they already can get the same amount of extra by getting a Trader to sell their bundles).

Apu
Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/02/2003 05:29 PM CDT
Kind of like how you can heal yourself with herbs but it's more convenient with an empath, or you can depart without protected mems or a glyph, but it's nicer if there's a cleric and a pallie around. That's how it is with Traders and gem pouches. Do-able, but inconvenient. I won't even go into the furs thing, I've tried twice already and don't want to be "disruptive" again.

~ Ahk

Primary Magic: 5 31.91% clear

You say, "Sweet! Spell slots here I come!"
Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/02/2003 05:49 PM CDT
A Trader selling a pouch/bundle should be something special for a Trader that can't be circumvented by a compotent script.

A bulk sale should give bonus money to a Trader. A bulk sale by a non-Trader would do nothing at all.

ie: Full pouch gives a 20% bonus to a Trader.

A non-Trader selling a pouch for 1 plat gets 1 plat. That's it.
A Trader selling a pouch for 1 plat gets 1.2 plat.

Then there's an obvious bonus and a reason Traders would be 'special' when it comes to selling bulk.

The logic why? The local pawn/gem shops/furriers made a contract with the local Trader Guilds because they needed more than their usual intake of <whatever>. Thus, they promised guilded Traders that sell in bulk an extra bonus for selling them so much at once. Non-traders can as well, but the local merchants don't recognize them as deserving a bonus because they aren't part of the Trader Guild/Local Economy Contract.

Make it even more interesting. A full pouch of all the SAME gems/pelts gives an even bigger bonus. Maybe up the bonus an extra 10%. So a non-Trader selling a pouch of nuggets for 5 gold gets 5 gold. A Trader selling a pouch of nuggets gets 6.5 gold.
Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/02/2003 11:00 PM CDT
<<Pureblade: Make it even more interesting. A full pouch of all the SAME...bonus an extra 10%. >>

You do know that Traders are able to get better prices from bulk buyers (gems and furs) than non-traders [skill dependant of course]. This type of 'advantage' could never be circumvented by a component script.

This the other reason (and in my experience, a very important reason) why people ask traders to help sell their pouches.

In other words, I will definitely be able to get more for your pouch of nuggets than you.

-Veii

Veii's Veranda : http://drveii.mysitespace.com
- The Index of Trader Services -
Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/02/2003 11:39 PM CDT
>>In other words, I will definitely be able to get more for your pouch of nuggets than you.

That's based on the skill you have, though. And it's not because you sell in bulk. If you sell ten 100 copper gems one at a time, you'll make as much as selling them all at once, right? I'm saying that if you sell all at once, you're rewarded for that as well.
Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/03/2003 06:33 AM CDT
If we sold them one by one a Trader would still come out with a fair % more; given they have the stats/skills to do so.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/03/2003 10:33 AM CDT
G'day,

>Make it even more interesting. A full pouch of all the SAME gems/pelts gives an even bigger bonus. Maybe up the bonus an extra 10%. So a non-Trader selling a pouch of nuggets for 5 gold gets 5 gold. A Trader selling a pouch of nuggets gets 6.5 gold.

This is actually something I've considered from time to time. Not necessarily the amount of the extra, but the concept. Thats one of the reasons I added the "gather" feature to gem pouches.

Regards,

Godrich de'Finchal

"And we will weep
To be so alone
We are lost!
We can never go home"

http://webpages.charter.net/plblack/trader.html
Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/03/2003 11:57 AM CDT
<<I'm saying that if you sell all at once, you're rewarded for that as well.>>

Oh! That sounds even better. I agree!

One comment I have is that the concept of 'bulk selling' would normally drive the price down, rather than up. hmm..

-Veii

Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/03/2003 11:58 AM CDT
I've never gotten the "gather" verb to work for me. How EXACTLY are you supposed to do it?

What i've tried is something like...

Hold tied pouch in right hand, hold empty pouch in left hand, type "gather <gem type>".

No go. What's the problem?

~ Ahkshan

P.S. Why can't we have sole rights to selling furs in bundles? Please don't tell me it's because people wouldn't like the change, because there have been tons of changes recently that people haven't liked.

Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/03/2003 12:24 PM CDT
<<Ahkshan: Hold tied pouch in right hand,>>

That's the problem.

It only works with open pouches of gems (not tied).

--Example--
green pouch: (in one hand)
10 rubies
10 sapphires
10 emeralds

blue pouch: (in the other hand)
empty

>gather sapphire
You move 10 sapphires from your green pouch and put them in your blue pouch.
Roundtime: 3 seconds.

--Result--
green pouch:
10 rubies
10 emeralds

blue pouch:
10 sapphires

[disclaimer: wording is approximate, but you get the idea]

-Veii

Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/03/2003 01:12 PM CDT
Guess i'm mildly idiotic... do both pouches remain untied?

~ Ahk

Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/03/2003 01:23 PM CDT
from how I understand it from an OOC standpoint. When you tie a pouch it totals the value of all gems in the pouch, and the weight off all gems in the pouch. It then remembers this information. replaces your pouch with a new item that looks the same. This new pouch is then given the description, value and weight of the old pouch, without any contents. It is no longer a container in the sense you can put things in it. Is is a cantainer that stores 2 numeric values and that is it.

Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/03/2003 01:31 PM CDT
Both pouches remain untied.. my trader likes to use gather to make nice pouches with really high apps to keep for practicing appraisal, and then she sells the pouches of small topazes and diopsides and such.
Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/03/2003 02:47 PM CDT
>>One comment I have is that the concept of 'bulk selling' would normally drive the price down, rather than up. hmm..

That's why I included the 'backstory'.

Local merchants desperately need more materials. Furriers and Jewelers came together and signed a contract promising the Trader guild a 'bonus' for those who bring items to them in bulk. They did this because they believe getting 100 of item X from one Trader will be faster and more effective than waiting for a few from every person that shows up.
Re: Bundle selling previously Economy Balancing 08/04/2003 02:59 AM CDT
So Pureblade, you want me to be able to walk into a gem shop, ask the appraiser what they are "desperately" seeking, find out they want 50 emeralds, and then check my inventory of pouches for a bag of emeralds Ive previously gathered from others pouches, and sell them for a profit?

Canten