The future of the economy if players completely control goods. 07/24/2003 11:19 PM CDT
<<If GMs were moving toward an Elanthia where player created items dominate - that would cause greater inflation, which I heard is what they're trying to do the opposite. (How? More coins enter the system than is drained from it. Prices increase due to the fact that more and more people can afford the higher prices.)>>

This is just one way that I see it could work. I have no clue on what simu has planned.

I think they way that it could be used as a vehicle to remove coin from the realms would be to make the learning process to cost coin. There is already a trend towards this with mech lore (origami, Tanning, and embroidery) and scholarship. When mech lore is broken out I think most of the ways to learn it past x ranks will require a coin investment on the players part to learn the skill.

Also if the number of less than perfect items that you create before you get that one masterpiece that is worth good coin is 200 to 1. Then that drains a lot of money off the economy and makes that great slice scimitar a truly wondrous and coveted weapon. Now if you took that weapon and wanted a spell put on it there is a chance that the attempt could cause the weapon to blow up and kill the mage. Well the mage is repairable, but you have to start making scimitars again in the chance for that 1 out of 200 chance of a masterpiece.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Re: The future of the economy if players completely control goods. 07/25/2003 12:36 AM CDT
All creation systems should be completely lore-based as is almost all real-life creation. Back in medieval times, soldiers and knights did not make their own armor, nor did they know how. Metalsmiths that had spent a lifetime of study and training, crafted armor and weapons. Most of them had very limited practical experience in using armor and swords; they didnt need it. Their purpose was to know metal and to know every little trick about it, which took a lifetime. They did not go and fight in as many battles as possible then come home one day and say, "Ohhhh! You know I can swing this sword so well now, I'm going to make the greatest weapons in the lands!"

I know DR is a fantasy world, but that should be a little to fanciful to anyone (except present day forgers.) All other crafts followed the same general principle, none were the masters of using the weapons. All men that spent a lifetime learning the knowledge from the masters and hopefully expanding on it then passed it down to their own apprentices to expand it further. All of which is lore and practical experience with the material, not using it when once it was made.

Feel free to point out exceptions. "But they made their own bows or spears, some captains knew how to build ships, and some knights learned to make armor," but I can assure you, it was done nowhere near as well as the man that spent his life learning the craft.

Also this would equal the field for almost everyone. Of course it would be easier for lore guilds such as traders, and adequately hard for a guild like barbs. They should be consumers, not suppliers... though if a rare barb wanted to practice long and hard, I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to make good weapons, but not the best. At least not what a 99th circle trader would be able to craft.

On a last note... today almost no one knows how to make half of the stuff in their house: soap, light bulbs, computers, plumbing. All of it is specialized.