Pawn shops 05/20/2003 07:00 PM CDT
Greetings trader folk!

I am currently located on Aesry and have been trying to conduct some fiscal transactions with the pawn broker there, however he seems reluctant to part with cash for my ill-gott... er I mean hard earned items!

You get a shifting cotton doublet from inside your mesh backpack.
> sell doub
Ishh briefly glances at your cotton doublet and says, "I have no need for that."
> drop doub
You drop a shifting cotton doublet.
> get my scrol
You get a sapphire blue song scroll from inside your mesh backpack.
> sell scrol
Ishh briefly glances at your blue song scroll and says, "I have no need for that."
> drop scro
You drop a sapphire blue song scroll.
> get my amu
You get an enameled silver amulet from inside your mesh backpack.
> sell amu
Ishh briefly glances at your silver amulet and says, "I have no need for that."
> drop amu
You drop an enameled silver amulet.
>
You've gained a new rank in your ability to climb.
> get claw
You get a finger claw from inside your mesh backpack.
> sell claw
Ishh briefly glances at your finger claw and says, "I have no need for that."
> get pins
You get some striped juggling pins from inside your mesh backpack.
> sell pins
You've gained a new rank in swimming.
Ishh briefly glances at your juggling pins and says, "I have no need for that."
> drop pins
You drop some striped juggling pins.

This is probably due to a flood of these items passing into his hands, but some of them are quite valuable, costing a gold lirum or two in the shop. I was wondering if it would be possible to fix pawnshops at all to have either a set price or percentage of price for each item, or perhaps a lower cap? For the hunter, gems are often a source of income, and as far as I know will always be saleable in a gem shop, but for those more discerning types who like to provide quality goods to the local pawn broker we often find ourselves with a bag full of merchandise he has no interest in. Now due to the less than legal method of acquiring this fine merchandise, we often find ourselves facing exorbitant fines, and when the sale of our goods does not cover the cost of our fines... well we find ourselves reluctant to provide goods to the pawn broker, he in turn has nothing to sell to the poor who browse his wares, the town ceases to extract fines from us, thus drying up a valuable source of income, and that means higher taxes. Now I am sure you don't want that, so perhaps you could subsidise the pawnbrokers so that they can keep the cash flowing around the system?

Thankyou for your time
Re: Pawn shops 05/21/2003 04:09 PM CDT
I believe the pawn shop quit buying general clothing after getting flooded with moss mey gowns and theivs fencing stolen goods from the local shops. This island really does need more pawnable items that can be sold.

______
The haste of a fool is the slowest thing in the world
- Thomas Shadwell
Re: Pawn shops 05/21/2003 04:12 PM CDT
Now I shall be burned
'Cause I forgot to Haiku,
So now woe is me.

______
The haste of a fool is the slowest thing in the world
- Thomas Shadwell
Re: Pawn shops 05/21/2003 08:41 PM CDT
>>This is probably due to a flood of these items passing into his hands, but some of them are quite valuable, costing a gold lirum or two in the shop.<<

What items sell for in a shop has absolutely no effect on what items pawn for.

Pawn shops look strictly at the appraisal value to get a base price the item would pawn for. This is then modified by factors including: Trader bonus, seller's charisma, how often the item has been pawned during the shortterm and/or longterm, and possibly other factors as well.

Tam
-You've gained a new rank in your ability to steal.
-There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Re: Pawn shops 05/21/2003 08:42 PM CDT
Oh, and don't worry, Equity's working on pawnshops. They're due for a big re-write, right, Ms. Goddess Equity?

Tam
-There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Re: Pawn shops 05/24/2003 12:14 PM CDT

Oh, and don't worry, Equity's working on pawnshops. They're due for a big re-write, right, Ms. Goddess Equity?

Yep yep, on my high priority list. I gotta rewrite something directly related (something big) before I can fix the dang things, but pawnshops are constantly on the mind. It'll be awhile tho.

Equity, who looks at her todo list, turns into an ostrich, and hides her head in the sand....

"Oh, this is a swell time for you to decide to develop a sense of humor."
- J. Craw
Re: Pawn shops 05/24/2003 01:15 PM CDT
how about a pawnshop for Muspar'I.

It could possibly even be trader financed...

<prays>

pawn broker bagsodoks

~ The eye is not satisfied with seeing,
Nor the ear filled with hearing.
That which hath been is that
which shall be,
And that which hath been done is that
which shall be done;
And there is nothing new under the sun.
Re: Pawn shops 05/24/2003 05:26 PM CDT
>>It'll be awhile tho.<<

Oh, no big hurry. Some of us can use them effectively as they are... <hums>

Tam
Re: Pawn shops 05/26/2003 10:58 AM CDT
The possibility of any new pawn shops going in before the new system is dim at best.

Equity

- J. Craw
Re: Pawn shops 06/10/2003 11:22 PM CDT
The biggest problem I have is with the items that aren't pawnable at all, no matter the value.

I happen to have some of those glass barrels that appraise for 2 PK that I can't pawn.

Will this be changed in the new pawn system? Even better, is there a switch back there you can flick to change that before then? ::tries to peer behind the curtain at all those wonderful tools that are rumored to be there::

Hobris
Re: Pawn shops 06/11/2003 10:43 AM CDT
To repeat an earlier post but with a blank filled in;

I'm waiting on a couple of things, I gotta finish the <censored> first but also I have to wait for < DR2 >
to get done to do pawnshops the way I want them to be.

This means, of course, you're prolly not going to see it until late next year...maybe sooner, dunno, but definately not til dr2, because a lot of the trouble we're having has to do with information storage issues that will not be present with the new system. :)

Equity

- J. Craw
Re: Pawn shops 06/13/2003 05:57 AM CDT
Will they also have a list of things that pawnshops have bought that players might be able to buy at a discount from where they would originally been purchased?

Of corse with a limited stock and invintory.

maybe when a shop gets enough canes and short swords they stop buying until they sell some off or junk some?

.srats eht esahc sevlow ,eerf nur snrocinu erehW
Re: Pawn shops 06/14/2003 09:22 AM CDT
>>because a lot of the trouble we're having has to do with information storage issues that will not be present with the new system.<<

That makes sense.

I think one of the best things that seems likely to happen when DR2 comes around is that the entire pawn system will be reset to a clean slate.. I hope. Back to what they were buying stuff for back in '97 or so.. Again I hope.

Tam
Re: Pawn shops 06/14/2003 12:12 PM CDT
interesting you should mention that, because the pawn shops haven't been hit as hard over in plat due to the lower population, so i'm able to make a pretty fair comparison between values of things sold <or worthless> between prime and plat versions. A reset of pawn values would definately be good.

which shall be,
which shall be done;
Re: Pawn shops 06/15/2003 08:25 AM CDT
97 or so? It's been reset to clear quite a number of times since then :P last being only a few months ago.

Are you guys rotating your shops at all? I'm not going to reset the system every time you guys max out Crossing :P There are other pawn shops out there.

Equity

- J. Craw
Re: Pawn shops 06/15/2003 08:47 AM CDT
yes, rotating pawn shops.

of course, it doesn't help that some towns don't HAVE pawn shops.... <gazes towards Muspar'I>

schvartz

which shall be,
which shall be done;
Re: Pawn shops 06/15/2003 10:05 AM CDT

Yes, and there probably won't be any more until the new system is in place. Maybe, but doubtful.

- J. Craw
Re: Pawn shops 06/15/2003 04:26 PM CDT
>>97 or so? It's been reset to clear quite a number of times since then :P last being only a few months ago.
<<

Heh, then some stuff went down in Crossing 50% or less of value from back then within a week or two of that. I remember spectacles selling for nearly 2 gold at one time. I figured that they hadn't gotten completely reset and you just upped something different.

>>Are you guys rotating your shops at all? I'm not going to reset the system every time you guys max out Crossing :P There are other pawn shops out there.<<

That's one big reason I live in Shard. :)

>>Yes, and there probably won't be any more until the new system is in place. Maybe, but doubtful.<<

That's another big reason I live in Shard.

Tam
Pawn shops 11/28/2004 11:32 PM CST
Who is in charge of the broken pawn shops? is it "World team" "Economics squad" or the trader GM? Just curious so I could file my complaint about the fact that the crossing "pawn" shop TURNS HIS NOSE UP at my DIAMOND RING, thanks much.

"A sabre in the head is worth two in the bush"
Re: Pawn shops 11/29/2004 05:43 PM CST
May want to try feedback

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Re: Pawn shops 12/21/2004 11:44 AM CST
Check the general economy in DR folder, post by Equity about how fixing pawn shops is waiting on rewrites of other systems or something to that effect.

I am --- Navak