bug on buying custom gem pouch 08/08/2020 12:15 PM CDT

>ask appraiser for gold pouch
A Dwarven appraiser hands you a dark gem pouch.

bug? I mean I didn't want it made OF gold. It's a color. And it's not dark.
Re: bug on buying custom gem pouch 08/08/2020 01:15 PM CDT
Umm wrong syntax? I do not see a gold pouch listed on the gem pouch page.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Item:Gem_pouch
Re: bug on buying custom gem pouch 08/10/2020 12:13 PM CDT
>Umm wrong syntax? I do not see a gold pouch listed on the gem pouch page.

It's nice that Elanthipedia lists that information and I will use it next time, BUT, it is the right syntax and the only information you get IN game is...

>ask appraiser about pouch
The Dwarf says, "If you'd like something to hold your gems, ask for a gem pouch."

ASK appraiser FOR [<color>] [gem] POUCH
- Specifying 'gem' will make 'gem' the adjective reference word. Otherwise it will use the color.
>ask appraiser about color
A Dwarven appraiser does not seem to know anything about that.

And that is one of the big problems with this game. It can't even really be played without outside third party information.
Re: bug on buying custom gem pouch 08/11/2020 10:34 AM CDT
Well, I could say be happy you can choose the color of the pouch, used to be we just got a gem pouch :)

And most beginners to DR wouldnt know about the colored pouches anyways, especially if they dont work with a mentor. I get where you are coming from about using 3rd party info, try back in the early 2000s when all this info was spread across multiple player websites if it wasnt an outright secret. Try to find just that little kernal of info would have been ahh interesting to find, so epedia does help in a lot of ways as a central hub of info.

Yes, the appraisers should be updated to give an idea of the colors or materials (in the case of horse clan & the other one I forget) available but I'm gonna guess its on a low priority list for the GMs. Since we are still low on staff members & their time is taken up I'd guess with bigger projects, ya know. I'd love for one of them to step in here & say so, or maybe it could be a project for one of the new hires but with that spaghetti code that runs DR it may not be a good project for a newbie staffer :) & (shrugs)

Anyways, I just wanted to let ya know epedia is a good resource, sorry you couldnt get your gold gem pouch & yes, I get what you are saying but thats DR for ya, a near 25 year old text based game built on a lot of spaghetti code, spit & duct tape :}
Re: bug on buying custom gem pouch 08/12/2020 09:20 AM CDT
>It's nice that Elanthipedia lists that information and I will use it next time, BUT, it is the right syntax and the only information you get IN game is...

it's less a bug and more of a lack of information and color option, gold apparently is not a color you can pick, with that said, the NPC should have said something along the lines of, "I don't have that color, here's one I do have" and he hands you a dark one

i don't think anyone can reasonably expect the game to have unlimited color options so either you try one that you like until it works or you access the site and see the color list. Yes he should be able to tell you that in-game but at this point, you're not stuck without a pouch, just not the color pouch you wanted.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
Re: bug on buying custom gem pouch 08/15/2020 02:56 PM CDT

I have no problem with not getting a gold pouch. I say it's a bug because if gold wasn't an option it should have failed instead of giving me something else different. And I bring it up in order to help make things better, not to be a complainer. Good things don't become great things by having an attitude of oh well at least it's not as terrible as before. :)
Re: bug on buying custom gem pouch 08/15/2020 06:09 PM CDT
I'm not saying you are complaining or even wrong, its defaulting to giving you something. Mainly so newbies arent stuck there going "huh?"

If you've been around DR for anytime you've probably heard of DRs coding being referred to as spaghetti code, theres a reason for that. Mainly becuase dr's code is roughly an adhoc code, and as has been said by SGMs themselves making a change in one small spot like not giving you a gem pouch or adding in new colors can make oh lets just say the magic system break down, or the whole system shakes loose & erases every character there is from 1995.

There is a reason so many systems are either outdated or resistant to change, the staff has little choice. The code mostly exists from the 90s. :)

Anyways, its not really a bug in the system, its not really a trader only issue, so I'll end my input. :) Good luck to ya
Re: bug on buying custom gem pouch 08/19/2020 09:52 AM CDT

>Mainly so newbies aren't stuck there going "huh?"

Ok, yea I'm for that. If I had hair I would have torn it all out while trying to figure out how to tie my newly purchased weapon strap to my spear. Nothing would work right. Finally discovered I just needed to step out of the shop because something in there was interfering with my commands.