Perceive mana room-by-room 01/29/2018 02:47 PM CST
Since I'm in this folder already, I'll repeat a bug report I submitted when Trader magic was released.

Traders can "powerwalk" room by room and cap their attunement learning quickly. Moon mages can't, as lunar mana isn't based on the room.

I assume this is an unintended feature?

Thank you,

Mithgrek, player of.
Re: Perceive mana room-by-room 01/29/2018 09:07 PM CST
>Traders can "powerwalk" room by room and cap their attunement learning quickly. Moon mages can't, as lunar mana isn't based on the room.

Experience pool size (i.e. how long till it mind locks) is determined both by ranks and skillset placement. Moon Mages are magic primary and Traders are magic tertiary, so assuming equal ranks and stats Moon Mages will take much longer to reach mind lock with magic skills.

You're also (I'm assuming, since Trader magic was just released recently) pretty low in magic ranks. Powerwalking isn't as appealing at high levels of skill, which is possibly where the Moon Mage you're comparing with might be.
Re: Perceive mana room-by-room 01/30/2018 10:03 AM CST

If this is intended, great. It seems unexpected to me.

I remember on my moonmage, even at circle 1, that perceive mana was on a timer (1 minute? two minutes?) that was global, and not room by room. Part of this was in-game that mana is based on moons, and part of it was due to increased learning by perceiving 4 spell books at once.

In character, it's unexpected that my moon mage perceives mana based on the moons, yet trader perceives them based on moons yet also room-by-room. If that's intended as Traders are, in-game, considered neophytes to this Lunar magic and can then "learn" attunement by checking in the next room, so be it.

Mithgrek, player of
Re: Perceive mana room-by-room 01/30/2018 10:09 AM CST
>>Experience pool size (i.e. how long till it mind locks) is determined both by ranks and skillset placement. Moon Mages are magic primary and Traders are magic tertiary, so assuming equal ranks and stats Moon Mages will take much longer to reach mind lock with magic skills.

>>You're also (I'm assuming, since Trader magic was just released recently) pretty low in magic ranks. Powerwalking isn't as appealing at high levels of skill, which is possibly where the Moon Mage you're comparing with might be.

I think the point being made was that, at least pre-3.0, Moon Mages couldn't "powerwalk" in the walk-room-to-room sense to train attunement, because they're always drawing energy from the moons. I'm not sure if this changed post-3.0, but if it wasn't changed it would be odd that Traders (who also draw energy from the moons) wouldn't follow the same training rules as Moon Mages. One part of epedia says Moon Mages can't powerwalk, another section says they can, so I don't know who is right and who is wrong right now.

That said, I don't personally consider powerwalking to be the most effective way to train magic these days, and you're better off harnessing a bit of mana as you're casting spells to lock your other magic skills.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Perceive mana room-by-room 01/30/2018 10:30 AM CST

Moon mages can power walk, but there's no reason to do it. When they perceive, they can attempt to perceive and it'll do everything they can do such as perceiving room-based spells. They don't get as much experience as say a moon mage, but they do get some. It's just far faster and more effective to use charging, harnessing, individual perceive options.

The same is true for traders, but I think they learn a higher percentage because they're magic tert vs magic prime. It's also not the most effective way to learn.
Re: Perceive mana room-by-room 01/30/2018 02:01 PM CST

Ok, I just tested and my moonmage cannot powerwalk. Even at circle 90ish, he gains three mindstates with a perceive mana. Move the next room: nothing. Rinse, repeat: nothing.

>That said, I don't personally consider powerwalking to be the most effective way to train magic these days, and you're better off harnessing a bit of mana as you're casting spells to lock your other magic skills.

I don't disagree here. I rarely powerwalk on Mithgrek (paladin). On occasion, I do if I've been sitting and talking a while, forging, whatever. Attunement generally trains fine just by casting.

My point in posting was not on whether powerwalking is effective or not, but a difference in behavior between Traders and Moonmages. Moonmages perceive mana by moons, and there's a timer (1-2 minutes? I don't recall). Traders can perceive the 3-4 lunar mana streams (3, I think), but also do it room by room.

I don't think this is game-breaking or exploitable in training attunement too fast, but the behavior seems to be buggy, so I bugged it. That's all.

Mithgrek, player of.
Re: Perceive mana room-by-room 01/30/2018 05:25 PM CST
Okay, I just tried again and I stand corrected. I remember this teaching before, but it no longer seems to.
Re: Perceive mana room-by-room 01/30/2018 06:13 PM CST
>>My point in posting was not on whether powerwalking is effective or not, but a difference in behavior between Traders and Moonmages. Moonmages perceive mana by moons, and there's a timer (1-2 minutes? I don't recall). Traders can perceive the 3-4 lunar mana streams (3, I think), but also do it room by room.

Just to clarify since I couldn't tell from the posts, I did some testing. Doing a simple POW in each room nets zero experience (even after a few minutes of waiting). Doing a POW MANA in the same room within a minute also does not grant additional exp. However doing a POW MANA in a new room grants exp each time.

I also confirmed that on my Moon Mage, performing a POW MANA in new rooms does NOT grant exp each time.

The main upshot is that it is pretty quick and easy for a Trader to lock Attunement via this method of powerwalking. I'm not sure how much it matters given that Traders are tert and it's pretty quick to lock anyway, but there it is.

- Navesi
Re: Perceive mana room-by-room 01/31/2018 01:34 PM CST
Same here, only did it for six room before I got mindlocked. Course only 80 skill, however I do PERC MANA, if that makes any difference.

Balkomar (and pals)
Re: Perceive mana room-by-room 01/31/2018 07:34 PM CST

I'm sure it will be fixed when Armifer returns, along with appraise careful for magical skills.

Mithgrek, player of.
Re: Perceive mana room-by-room 01/31/2018 08:15 PM CST

Meh. This is one of those things that adds flavor, even if originally a bug. I'd say let it stay. Spend time on more important things.

> along with appraise careful for magical skills.

What's the bug here?
Re: Perceive mana room-by-room 01/31/2018 10:04 PM CST
>> along with appraise careful for magical skills.

>What's the bug here?

It doesn't work. You should be able to use appraise careful on a critter to see how well it will teach TM and Debil.
Re: Perceive mana room-by-room 05/31/2018 08:14 PM CDT
>Traders can "powerwalk" room by room and cap their attunement learning quickly.

This has been fixed in Prime and Plat. Traders are no longer room-based for learning Attunement from PERCEIVE. TF to follow in a few days.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.