What's the deal? 08/08/2010 01:19 AM CDT
I saw a Trader today selling an item that sells in Ilaya Taipa for 5 platinum (pale spidersilk quiver accented by a tiny blue diamond sirese flower), for 750 platinum. I informed him that it sold there, figured maybe he didn't know. He basically called me a liar and ignored me.

Yes, he is free to sell his items for whatever he chooses. But come on, seriously? His entire table was this way. Store bought, insanely priced. What's the deal with Traders today?

I'm also a Trader, that just returned to the realms after a 6 year break. A Trader that is a main character, not a Trader created to clear out my other characters vaults. I'm seeing a lot of stuff like this. I keep my title and profession hidden, because quite frankly I'm considering a guild change.

A lot of people are being unpleasant, and unresponsive. Haven't seen much, if any life in the Trader guild since my return.

-Evendra
Re: What's the deal? 08/08/2010 06:32 AM CDT
Well it's good to see another honest Trader around--Welcome back.

As far as the "honesty" in buying low and selling high(an extreme case in your example), this mentality applies to the whole player base and is not unique to Traders unfortunately. The mentality that it is OK to take sore advantage of other "weaker" characters is a common perspective and to these individuals, it is their right to portray a character with that mentality. It seems that both you and I possess characters that choose not to prey upon the weak, and that's fine. Indeed, the world will always maintain balance by having characters on both sides of the moral equator.

Sometimes you have to handle dealing with a Trader like dealing with a used car salesman. You do your homework ahead of time just incase so you don't get gypped by someone who's just trying to make a large commission at your expense.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: What's the deal? 08/08/2010 07:57 AM CDT
there's the old joke about the difference between a trader and a thief. when a trader steals, they call it mark-up.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: What's the deal? 08/09/2010 07:49 AM CDT
About the biggest markup I've got is selling throwing blades for 1 plat when they're about 1.5 gold. At least as a percentage.

I've only sold 3 things over 20 plat. A sigilbook and 2 tower shields (which I was going to sell for 20 plat but the buyer argued with me for 100 plat each. 20 plat is probably going to be my limit generally.

But generally my stuff runs in the 5 gold to 5 plat range.

Common storebought stuff I generally do 1.2priceexchange rate*1.05 (if not in kronars) of the storebought price. Throwing blades have been an except because they REALLY sell fast, I used to only charge 5 gold.

Charging a price several times over when people can go get it themselves is, ah, rather greedy in my opinion. If it was, say, something they wanted you go go out cross-province specifically for, sure. But just having something on hand?

Naniaki

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: What's the deal? 08/09/2010 05:04 PM CDT
An item is only worth what someone is willing to sell it for and someone else is willing to pay for it. I think of buying things IG just like I do on ebay/craigslist. You HAVE to research, if you don't know how ask someone you trust. I've paid way too much for items that were storebought when I first started out. It's the cost of business. If it really is a common storebought item, they can go buy it themselves if they really have a problem with the pricing.

On a whim...: http://www.lostonawhim.com/

The Zoluren army asks, "We're um.... really sorry about the clubhouse and all... so uh... are we cool?"
Re: What's the deal? 08/10/2010 12:01 AM CDT
i think that's the guy who was selling a holster from toss-o-rama for 750 plats, told me it was rare.

An old cranky ogre with no legs says, "Naarg wives all this Naarg wives now."
Re: What's the deal? 08/10/2010 02:23 AM CDT
<<An item is only worth what someone is willing to sell it for and someone else is willing to pay for it. I think of buying things IG just like I do on ebay/craigslist. You HAVE to research, if you don't know how ask someone you trust. I've paid way too much for items that were storebought when I first started out.

Even if you know something is too expensive, sometimes mitigating circumstances can push the price up higher than normal. Just recently I paid 35 plat for a forged scimitar (heavy slice, 33 stones) that I knew I could get elsewhere for 15 plat, but I needed it right then. The trader even sounded like he wanted to haggle with me. I paid for my impatience, and the trader scored a great profit.

Good deals require insight and patience, and if you spot a bad one, call out the seller.

Nikpack
Re: What's the deal? 08/10/2010 02:57 AM CDT
Yup, that's him. Yesterday he had a hat or something priced at over 1000 plat. Funny stuff.
Re: What's the deal? 10/05/2010 04:50 PM CDT
On the flip side, I've sold some things in my shop way under what they were worth because I didn't do the research.

Player of Chancellior

Freedom isn't Free, I paid for it.....in combat