Slow Gondola 02/05/2006 01:50 PM CST
To all the traders in game who said nasty things to me when I said they were slowing the gondola down. Well someone actually measured the time and caravans do indeed slow the gondola down.

Too bad we can't throw caravans off the gondola if the trader is dead.

Lots more stuff coming 'Soon'!

http://www.zairius.com

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: Slow Gondola 02/05/2006 01:55 PM CST
You are correct. It's very obvious that the gondola is indeed slowed down by weight. Not simply by traders. Although the 350,000 stone crates a high circle trader might get at times will make a huge impact.

Now shut up and learn to climb instead of taking up precious caravan room on the Gondola.

To all those traders who said nasty things. You embarrass this guild and are hereby banished from the gondola and must also learn to climb as a lesson in humility and freeing up of the Gondola to kinder, more smarter traders.

:)
Re: Slow Gondola 02/05/2006 03:56 PM CST
Haha! I'm very pleased my testing is being put to good use as the foundation for conflict. What I found in my fairly limited testing was that up to 4 people didn't slow the gondola any more than 1 person.... and even 2 caravans on the gondola didn't slow the gondola any more than 1 caravan did. Now I don't know about larger crowds of people and even more caravans, but the bottom line seemed to be this:

>Every single time I travelled without a caravan (19 times with 1 to 4 people) the trip was 6 minutes long.

>Every single time I travelled with 1 or 2 caravans (4 times) the trip was 12.5 minutes long.

The original post is in the general discussions folder under "Places, Cities, and Provinces"
http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=8&topic=3&page=14

"The day is for honest men, the night for thieves."
-- Euripides
Re: Slow Gondola 02/05/2006 04:06 PM CST
Dont' count people or caravans. 10 crates on 5 caravans of 20th circle traders wont even come close to a single caravan lead by a 75th+ with sometimes in excess of 500,000 stone-weight on his/her two crates. Its weight, in stones. Not mass.

BUT, there could be a maximum drag. So the real test would be that if there is just two gears. 6minute and 12.5minute and nothing in between.
Re: Slow Gondola 02/05/2006 06:07 PM CST
the simple truth is, there is a limit to the amount of caravans that can get on the gondola at the same time. and there has been for a very long time.

this served to thwart one mentor "caravan-race" event in ilithi a long time ago.

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Slow Gondola 02/06/2006 07:24 AM CST
<<caravans do indeed slow the gondola down.>>

I knew it! I hypothesized this as well... See? I'm smaht!

How much climbing is needed to traverse it, and avoid the gondola?

:oP Ragran
Re: Slow Gondola 02/06/2006 04:53 PM CST
>>How much climbing is needed to traverse it, and avoid the gondola?

I started climbing the slow way from south to north at a little over 200 ranks of climbing (the path that goes through the gap and causes you to bump your head and be stunned). I've heard the fast way from south to north is over 400 ranks and the path from north to south is closer to 500 ranks. I can verify that with 350+ climbing and at least a 50+ boost from a CJ, I still cannot travel the fast south-to-north nor the north-to-south routes.

"The day is for honest men, the night for thieves."
-- Euripides
Re: Slow Gondola 02/07/2006 06:21 AM CST
Yank ya, Kraelyst..

Re: Slow Gondola 02/07/2006 11:59 AM CST
cackle!

Erm I dun wanna yank ya. I meant THANKS ya...geeze.

<exhales>

Re: Slow Gondola 02/18/2006 02:43 PM CST
>>I started climbing the slow way from south to north at a little over 200 ranks of climbing (the path that goes through the gap and causes you to bump your head and be stunned).

I was doing this route about 150 in climbing.

Brabs

Ternith whispers to your group, "the Barbarian never retreats...the warrior will take use of falling back to a better position to kill."