Ranks 08/10/2005 09:30 AM CDT
ask im about exper
"Well now, Bagsodoks," The guild leader Imaar smirks. "Seems you are eligible to train for your next rank."

Obviously our guildleaders know what a RANK is.

So before someone calls someone OOC for mentioning a "RANK", particularly when that someone is a mentor who is barely wet behind the ears, and hasn't put in the time or the effort that someone else has into the Traders guild, they should just get their facts straight.

Bagsodoks Platsgonif, Sraan Mhhg, Muspar'ian Trader

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Ranks 08/10/2005 10:02 AM CDT
I've always roleplayed that "rank" wasn't necessarily specific numbers in specific skills but rather an overall rank within the guild, just like a rank in the military, etc. If you were spouting out numbers, that'd be different, but just mentioning a "rank" isn't a problem in my eyes.

"Come fairies, take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance
Upon the mountains like a flame." -- W.B. Yeats
Re: Ranks 08/10/2005 10:22 AM CDT
Rank, as Imaar meant it, is a circle. You and half the other folks in the room were speaking of skill ranks (stealing skill), and how you needed to make-up for lost skill ranks, which are OOC. As it is my duty to attempt to curtail OOC behavior during Mentor events, I did as was required of me, no more, no less. If the OOC is only one or two slip-ups here and there, I'm inclined to let it slide, but in this case, it went on for about five minutes involving about a half-a-dozen people.

As to wet behind the ears, you have no idea how long I've been a Trader, or what my rank is within the guild. I've been a Mentor for nearly a year. Hardly wet-behind-the-ears. Please get your facts straight.

The Trader Social is a Mentor event. If I ask you to stop doing a behavior, there is a good reason for it, and you'd be wise to listen, or at least be polite in your disagreement. You did neither.
Re: Ranks 08/10/2005 01:47 PM CDT
I've always looked at TRADER socials as times when TRADERS can get together and talk about whatever concerns them. Not time for self-appointed policemen to get their dander up about a word.

As for how long you've been a trader, not nearly as long as me, dearie. Case in point, you're a prydaen. Prydaens weren't even around when I joined the guild.

Bags

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Ranks 08/10/2005 01:50 PM CDT
<<The Trader Social is a Mentor event.>>

Furthermore, there were Trader socials - which are times for TRADERS to kick back and relax and shoot the breeze, before Mentors invited themselves.

Re: Ranks 08/10/2005 03:27 PM CDT
The issue isn't really who is older, that is just stupid to argue. "I've been around longer then you so YOU have no right to say anything to me"..... sounds very childish. I have 150 ranks of whatever is IMO out of character .. you can easy say lessons I'm a Master in XXX or i've taken 150 lessons of something. I think the only thing was trying to be promoted was a good Roleplay IC image to the same people, that most OLDER players complain about being OOC all the time with their actions or talk.

I just feel the OLDER roleplayers of a guild should lead by example.

Those who pride themselves on being the Hunter can easily become the prey.
Re: Ranks 08/10/2005 03:40 PM CDT
This particular Trader Social is a Mentor sponsered and run event, regardless of what it might or might not have been before. As far as I can see, Tiralor handled it exactly as she should have and as she is asked to do as a Mentor. Talking of specific numbers and ranks is always a really grey area as far as being IC or OOC goes with everyone having their varying opinions, but with that being said, this is most likely one of the reasons that the exp RP verb was updated to make the actual IC terms easier to translate and therefore allowing folks to talk about ranks in an IC manner.

Drexella
Council Chief
Lorethew Mentor Society

Jeladric says, "May I remind you blunt does not mean mannerless."
Jeladric says, "You know that you must work on your upper class drawl when you gossip. It is best done with the teeth clenched. In a parody of a smile."
Re: Ranks 08/10/2005 06:55 PM CDT
Aren't mentors generally choosen because of their ability to role play vs being an accomplished skill trainer/circler. I've yet to see a Trader mentor who really gave much effort to gaining ranks or figuring out how things work in DR, so much as just enjoying RPing with folks and socializing.

So I assume that is what our GMs are looking for when they put Mentors in this position. Maybe new players should learn as much on their own vs putting me there rambling off the A,B,Cs of how-to-build a Trader, step 1, step 2, etc.

To me, this is the role a Mentor plays - greet, socialize, and generally try to make folks feel comfortable about the guild they are in.

This is all sort of an ugly episode. For me, I've enjoyed the socials, and I go there to socialize, and I don't care to listen to a bunch of numbers and stats spilled out (which I hear the rest of the week in DR), nor do we go there to be worshipped or idolized or pampered or whatever other agenda some old fart trader thinks to accomplish there. Some of the worst traders in the lands are the highest circles and highest skilled, but they excite nothing from a new player or me (when dealing with 'new owner' syndromes). Why should it? Time in game, lucky you. Time not in game but got a good deal on him/her, lucky you.

I'm posting to much lately...I'm starting to ramble.

I have enjoyed the socials.

Gidske
Removed my own post RE:Ranks. 08/10/2005 06:56 PM CDT
Don't need a Warning over some stupid thing someone did.

Remember, do not flame staff members.

Mentors are staff members.

Therefore one must not flame mentors.
Re: Mentor Socials (was: Ranks) 08/10/2005 07:39 PM CDT
Mentors are chosen for a variety of reasons, one of which is roleplaying skill. There are other checks in place to see if the player of the Mentor character is well-versed in multiple guilds, races and Elanthian history. The main goal of the society is to help novices find their way around, and that includes giving guidance on roleplaying.

I will say that for those who attended the Social last night, a GM did not show up due strictly to OOC conversation. The reason is between the GM and the individuals they came to talk to. That is the last I intend to say on the conflict portion of this thread.

The point of the Socials, to my mind, has always been to provide a forum for new guildmembers to ask their questions, and interact with older guildmembers. It doesn't matter to me who answers the question, so long as the answer is accurate, which is why I encourage the novices to ask their questions out loud. This is also why I usually put question and answer first, regardless of whatever event I may have planned. If the questions and ensuing discussion take up the entire Social, the event can wait another week. The make-or-break period for a new player won't wait that long.

It also provides older guildmembers a chance to knock the dust of the trade route off your boots and have a little fun with everyone else knocking the dust off of their boots.

If there's something you'd like to see changed about the way the Socials are run, please feel free to make a post in Trader Events, or email me at my play.net address.
Re: Mentor Socials (was: Ranks) 08/11/2005 03:24 AM CDT
Well, when GM-Godrich used to run the Socials, people could talk about guild issues that concerned them without the RP gestapo getting on their case.

Re: Mentor Socials (was: Ranks) 08/11/2005 06:12 AM CDT
One of the many reasons to avoid mentors.
Re: Mentor Socials (was: Ranks) 08/11/2005 02:10 PM CDT
>One of the many reasons to avoid mentors.

Agreed
Re: Mentor Socials (was: Ranks) 08/11/2005 02:12 PM CDT
>I will say that for those who attended the Social last night, a GM did not show up due strictly to OOC conversation. The reason is between the GM and the individuals they came to talk to. That is the last I intend to say on the conflict portion of this thread.

You saying anything about it is more than you should.

Mentors have a bad habit of Violating Confidentiality, you seem to be no different.

However, as always if you have a problem with staff members (including Mentors) you should write to feedback, not post.
Re: Mentor Socials (was: Ranks) - Thread Over 08/11/2005 06:13 PM CDT
While I do not usually need to come here it seems that we have a disagreement. Using the word gestapo to refer to a Mentor is inflammatory and should be stopped immediately. If you have a complaint about the actions of a Mentor then you should be writing to Feedback not splattering it all over the Boards.

I would also say that when Mentors sponsor an event it is best to adopt their protocols which is stick to roleplay and have your own gathering if you want to gas-bag about ranks and skill levels.

While I understand that disagreements do happen, I think that we should close this thread now, and let it be handled by feedback.

If you have any questions or comments, please write to DR-Cecco@play.net.

Cecco
Supervisor, DragonRealms Message Boards.