Difficult situation 08/13/2004 07:32 PM CDT
I was just wondering what fellow traders impressions of the following sitation.

A trader moves to a new area. The traders in that area have found a nice balance which allows all to train and make decent coin. This new trader is welcomed to join us. But instead, he chooses to announce over gweth that he is buying pouches at 30% over appraisal. This, of course, dries up most trade for the rest of us. On top of this, another trader shows up and, when one of us is on duty in the gem shop and has said so over gweth, comes in and gweths that he is on duty (no acknowledgement, I understand, that the other trader was there). When the young trader who was there first broaches the topic of professional courtesy, she is verbally attacked by the much older trader. In addition, there is the coincidence that both trader seem to have huge (and multi-account) families and the gem shop starts getting hit hard by thieves.

It is to the point where the younger traders, who came to the area because there were not enough traders and who rely exclusively on pouches to learn and make a living, are thinking of moving away.

Any thoughts?
Re: Difficult situation 08/13/2004 08:00 PM CDT
>Any thoughts?

My thoughts? That's why I hang out in the Crossing - everyone is so well behaved and courteous of other Traders :)

Not sure what else to say, other than you're right, that's a pretty difficult situation. On one hand, I don't see anything wrong with the other Trader gwething about how much they are offering pouches for (they can't stop you from gwething as well). On the other hand, if they're doing it in an obnoxious manner to purposely trying to hog all the customers, then that's not really called for.

Also IF (keyword, IF) there is anything more than a coincidence to which customers are being targeted by Thieves, and it were me, I would try to get legitimate proof, and then I wouldn't hesitate to broadcast that all over the gweth and message boards in order to ruin the Trader's reputation. And then maybe even try petitioning the guildleaders to kick them out of the guild :)

Apu
Re: Difficult situation 08/13/2004 09:15 PM CDT
>>It is to the point where the younger traders, who came to the area because there were not enough traders and who rely exclusively on pouches to learn and make a living, are thinking of moving away.

Come to crossing, we're much nicer to young ones here. Most of the time in the xing gem shop, we take turns selling pouches (imagine that). I actually turn down customers asking me to sell there pouch upon seeing my higher title, when I know it's the younger trader's turn to sell.

You can't really change what other people do, so dont try... it only makes for more difficulties. The only thing you can do is go somewhere else or trade when those mean old rude and grumpy people aren't around. Do this until you get good enough stealing skill to simply rob the rude trader and take all of his ill-gotten profits. ;-)
Re: Difficult situation 08/15/2004 11:34 PM CDT
I wouldnt let it worry you at all, its not wide spread and often those traders dont last long.

Crossing gem shop is much more courteous as a rule but not a consistant rule. I personally dont bother with any decent title to make sure those who approach me already know me from past experience. Mind you, most of my time in the gem shop is used to catch up on guild gossip etc, I gave up expecting a decent learning rate from it. Reality is there are allot of gem shop traders all vying for the same business...whether courteously or not.....and you will find some very big titles in crossing. However;

Over time you will build up regulars who like your approach to trading, its just one of those things. Id suggest using gem selling as only part of your training....there are many other options that do not rely on other characters participation.

Muleskinner Elsulose (semi retired but not able to stop snooping around) - "addiction is merely another persons opinion about how much you like something"
Re: Difficult situation 08/18/2004 05:07 AM CDT
Definately dont worry about it, just try to be yourself, be friendly and courteus to your customers or well just anyone who walks in really. Many people prefer a friendly face selling their gems rather than caring about the extra coin, I sell about 4-6 pouches a day at the moment due to some heavy hunting habits, I either stick with my regular trader or if there are two in there (as there has been regularly lately) I just give em 3 each to sell. I dont use traders for the extra coin, its more about the convenience, so to me the circle is of little relevance.
Re: Difficult situation 09/16/2004 09:48 AM CDT
>Any thoughts?

Time to break out the yak and run some pickled halfling feet to another province.

Know the apostrophe.