Selling Pouches 02/11/2004 01:32 PM CST
I keep running into traders that sell pouches for free. They even advertise on the gweth no tips accepted (theren). A poor guy like me is trying to make a living here, in addition to trying to learn off pouches. Please don't give our services away, it's hard enough as it is.

I truly believe it's just bad business and is going to hurt us all in the long run.

Zeath
Re: Selling Pouches 02/11/2004 09:43 PM CST
>>I keep running into traders that sell pouches for free. They even advertise on the gweth no tips accepted (theren). A poor guy like me is trying to make a living here, in addition to trying to learn off pouches. Please don't give our services away, it's hard enough as it is.

>>I truly believe it's just bad business and is going to hurt us all in the long run.

There is a way to fight this or at least, make it more convincing for people to stop this profit damaging behavior. It involves forming an in-game, IC, Trader's Union Orginization. Email my play.net if interested, Im not at all interested in leading something like this, I'm just collecting names that are interested at this point, im sure there would be someone much more qualified than me to take charge. Maybe Ill arrange an in-game meeting of some kind if and when I collect enough people's names that wish to participate.

Im not going to respond to any replies to this because I dont really want to start and/or perpetuate another argument thread on the trader boards, just email if you're interested, if not, nobody's forcing you to be a part of it.

~Broker Teloxius
Re: Selling Pouches 02/15/2004 12:59 AM CST
<<They even advertise on the gweth no tips accepted (theren).

I am afraid that is my fault, my friends. A trader was looking for a little help with vulture hearts. He said he would come up and sell my pouches if I retrieved a heart for him. No problem, I had him sell my pouches, tipped him 50% of the excess over appraisal value and then went on a little vulture safari. I came back with a bundle full of hearts and an additional dozen in my backpack. He wanted to pay me for my services and I told him it was my pleasure to help out those in need. In fact, my exact words were ... "I appreciate the offer, my friend, but I don't accept tips for helping others." He tried to offer me an emerald, but I wouldn't take it.

Yes, he did say that over the gweth. However, you are not telling the whole story. In the same thought he mentioned that due to the kindness and generosity of the people from Theren, he was selling pouches for a very limited time and not accepting tips. This limited time was advertised (twice that I recall) for about 10 minutes and then he was silent afterwards. I thought it was a kind gesture. A gesture made because kindness was shown to him.

Oh, and if I am clear on something as well, Zeath, shortly before I sold these pouches to him, I was gwething for aid. It seems you were ghosting in the gem shop and non-responsive.

<<A poor guy like me is trying to make a living here

And I am sure you are getting plenty of business as well, my friend. I have given you a few gold for your services and I am sure I am not the only one up here doing this. Theren has always been lacking as far as traders go. I am glad to see more of you up here.

Sorry if I stepped on your toes here. But I felt like the whole story needed to be told.

Trebber
Re: Selling Pouches 02/15/2004 08:06 AM CST
That's a very sweet post, Trebber. Thank you for setting us straight. :)

- Nyken
Re: Selling Pouches 02/17/2004 01:21 AM CST
Greetings Trebb,

Zeath usually sends some thoughts out on the gweth about his services, a couple of times every 15 to 30 mins, so he doesn't clog the gweth with trader chatter. Then he will rest a bit in the shadows and if he doesn't get anything back over the gweth for a while he will then log out. He trys to keep his ears open and responds when he can. I guess my whole point of this post was that traders selling pouches and not accepting tips hurts us all. There are other ways to show kindness, but to offer to everyone from lange to almost muspari (gweth range basically) seems to point that the trader was just looking for experience.

It's hard to get many pouches out there, and anyone can sell their own pouches out in rossmans. Zeath is not a hunter at all, he either runs contracts, sells pouches/bundles, or sells items he brings back from other places. He doesn't make hardly any coin, and it seems the theefs love to take what he has especially when he is running contracts. Zeath is not very high in cricles, so contracts usually pay a couple of silver per contract. selling pouches, he may make up to 5 gold per customer but usually it's 1 or 2 gold per customer, and on occasion its nothing(some cheap folks up there), but rarely has he more that a couple of customers per day.

I keep zeath up there between circles because there is a shortage of traders around there that will sell pouches. when he needs his actual trading ranks, then he goes south to trade contracts because there are not enough pouches around theren to sell to gain 5 ranks of trading per circle. Just look around Theren, if you don't see many traders up there willing to trade pouches, then there must be a reason, but you can see them pretty regularly running contracts around there. Draw your own conclusions about money and experience in Theren.

Regards

Player of Zeath