How do I train Debilitation? 08/24/2017 04:23 PM CDT
I am struggling to lock Debilitation, how can I train it? Please teach me =p
Re: How do I train Debilitation? 08/24/2017 05:15 PM CDT
Mind posting what Debilitation abilities you currently have access to? It'll help other Thieves here help you.
Re: How do I train Debilitation? 08/24/2017 05:25 PM CDT
Thank you for helping. I have been inactive for a while and I'm struggling to re-learn everything.

Guile (Debil)
Prowess (Debil)
Re: How do I train Debilitation? 08/24/2017 06:40 PM CDT

What's your debilitation at, and what are you hunting?
Re: How do I train Debilitation? 08/24/2017 06:43 PM CDT
Try Appraise Creature Carefully on whatever you're hunting. That should tell you if your target(s) challenge your debilitation skill and how well you can expect to learn various skills fighting it. All abilities go through core magic now so they're theoretically more balanced. This means that Debilitation is trained sort of like a weapon, in that you only learn if you use it on something that challenges your skill and only in combat (or from classes).

Ambushes also train debilitation. You should have access to at least Ambush Choke if not other ambushes yet. You'll need dirt to use Choke. A dirt stacker makes things much more convenient, but if you don't have one, just fill your backpack with dirt before hunting, or retreat, retreat, forage dirt in between kills.

If you don't have other ambushes, use Choke until you unlock Stun at 25th circle. Ambush every creature as an opening gambit and then use Prowess or Guile and you should get things moving. Kill that creature off and ambush the next. Remember it's got to be against something that challenges your debilitation skill.

If you have a gwethdesuan you can also type ESP SEND GUILD and telepathically ask other gwethdesuan wearing Thieves for tips learning debilitation ingame. ESP SEND GUILD would only broadcast to Thieves.

Check out:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Debilitation_skill#Thief_Abilities

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Category:Thief_ambushes

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Thief_new_player_guide

Hopefully that helped some, until other Thieves can chime in. Disclaimer: I've never played a thief.
Re: How do I train Debilitation? 08/25/2017 09:36 AM CDT
In addition to everything already said.

In order to learn you also have to pass the Prowess stat contest. You won't learn anything if you fail.

I'm not entirely sure about the messaging but more or less something like this:

SuccessFail
You feel like your powerful presence has gotten the better of a <target>. It doesn't seem like a <target> is very intimidated by you.
You feel like your whispering has a <target> unnerved.

Prowess open stat contest is Charm (Charisma, Discipline, Intelligence). If you're having trouble hitting with Prowess then try boosting the relevant stats.
Re: How do I train Debilitation? 08/25/2017 10:36 AM CDT
I should have mentioned that creature appraisal is going to require 76 appraisal ranks before APP CREATURE CAREFUL will tell you how well your target will train various skills, so make a push to move appraisal if you don't have that many ranks yet.