magic question 08/12/2016 01:24 PM CDT
So Im turning the air blue training not one or two, but THREE types of magic now. Its a major pain. Yes, I could run around keeping certain skills active all the time and even meditate on them but for some reason that seems a bit of a cheesy way to train. Not saying I havent done that because you pretty much have to.

Anyway my question is exactly what use is it to train 3 magic skills? Do these magic skills affect the length of certain abilities like discipline once did? On that vein, does discipline even factor into anything dealing with those certain skills?

Its not like we can cast spells or use scrolls (thank God I never forked out for one of those old gazethean (Yes I know I misspelled it) crystal thingmajigs. I still dont know if theres any actual magic devices beside the fake/toy wands sold in 'pari that we can use. Those wands dont even require any magic training to play with.

Is there any concrete solid use for the magic training that the guild has to deal with now?

Sometimes you have to sound like a new player to find out the reasons/effects of some changes.

Sok Masticack Dwarven Thief and Musparan Sandrat Extrodinaire
Re: magic question 08/12/2016 02:08 PM CDT

We've been allowed to say "khri" on the boards for years now, just FYI.

Discipline mainly matters in terms of your total concentration; I don't think it actually affects the potency of your khri. That is affected mainly by your ranks in the relevant magic skill. Duration for sure (not sure about potency, but I think so) is also be affected by starting khri while sitting/kneeling and/or starting them with a delay.

There are four magic skills: IM, Debil, Utility and Augmentation. If you're mainly training khri out of combat, your debil is likely not moving.

You want to train the magic skills in order to be able to run more khri, run harder/better khri, have your khri last longer and be more powerful, the same reason a spell-caster wants to train their magic skills (to cast better and more powerful spells more frequently and with more mana).
Re: magic question 08/13/2016 10:54 AM CDT
Your supernatural skills first determine if you can even start a Khri. Sitting/kneeling will make it easier to start a Khri if you lack the ranks to do it while standing. It's like lowering the minimum prep of a spell. You can also use DELAY to make your Khri more potent if you don't have the ranks to max them out. It's effectively lowering the maximum prep (this is how Ricinus described them at 3.1 release).

Once you can start a Khri then your ranks are used to determine duration and potency of the Khri you are using. The different tiers are the difficulty of that Khri, so you will cap a Tier 1 Khri long before you cap a Tier 3 or 4 one. IIRC, potency will cap before duration does.

You Inner Magic ranks work like PM does for MUs. As long as it's higher than the other magic skills (and it always should be) then it will effectively give you more ranks in each magic skill. This will make it easier to start Khri while standing, and will let you cap them out sooner. IM ranks also determine how many Khri you can start with a single command. I never mapped it out very well while I climbed the ranks, but with ~500 ranks I could start 4 Khri at once, and with 900+ ranks I could start 8 at once.

Your Debilitation ranks work similar to the rest of the other skills when it comes to starting up the debilitation Khri, but your stats will determine how effective you are against your target. Your Debil ranks do work as a modifier for the contest making it easier for you to succeed the more ranks you have.

Our supernatural ranks are pretty important if you want to use Khri to their fullest potential. It may seem a bit cheesy to run around using Khri all the time to just train the ranks, but being magic tert it's the best way to keep those ranks up with the rest of your skills. It takes a no small amount of ranks to cap the Tier 3 and 4 Khri.