Arcana and Thieves 04/14/2016 11:08 AM CDT
Can thieves learn Arcana? If so, are there any downsides to it? I suspect many like to learn Arcana for CJs, but maybe there are many other reasons. Thanks!
Re: Arcana and Thieves 04/14/2016 11:39 AM CDT
Theoretically, and the intention being, everyone can learn and use Arcana.

Realistically, we've been unfortunately lax in coming up with a series of equipment and uses for it. It's on my personal annoyances list to fix, but other priorities have kept coming up.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Arcana and Thieves 04/14/2016 12:05 PM CDT
>>Can thieves learn Arcana?

Yes, though classes are about the only reliable way for us right now. Though as Armifer pointed out it's on the radar to be fixed.

>>If so, are there any downsides to it?

No.

>>I suspect many like to learn Arcana for CJs,...

This was the main reason before 3.0.

>>...but maybe there are many other reasons. Thanks!

Not really. The only reasons that come to mind right now is for the TDPs, and in anticipation of Enchanting (if/when we ever see it).
Re: Arcana and Thieves 04/14/2016 02:32 PM CDT
Thanks for the fast responses guys. Well...this thief is looking very forward to easier future arcana training. Any chance of magical devices being created in the future that augment or diversify our thief magics and/or abilities in some way?