Thief Hunting Ladder [boxes & skins] 03/31/2016 08:44 AM CDT
What's the optimal thief hunting ladder to train both locksmithing and skinning?

-Nate
Re: Thief Hunting Ladder [boxes & skins] 03/31/2016 09:43 AM CDT
I usually go rats till capped, goblins till capped, eels till I can do sprites, sprites till capped, blood wolves and razortusk sows till I can do Swain, swain till capped, then I like Quartz Gargs till capped, followed by either pecs and swampies or just straight to bandits and firecats.

I alternate skinning and boxes if I can't get concurrent ones, and focus on easy to hunt enemies, since survivals are easy to catch up and I can't throw up as many buffs as a mage

But then again, I'm a crap thief. Wait for Nin or Elec.
Re: Thief Hunting Ladder [boxes & skins] 03/31/2016 10:49 AM CDT
>> Wait for Nin or Elec.

Heh, I'm not the best person for this one. I've ignored the locksmithing skills for most of the time I've played, and because of that my Skinning is double my Locksmithing ranks. I've always just preferred to hunt something I can skin and either go to a nearby area and collect some boxes or hunting a critter with boxes when I train my lower weapons. I've relied more on our significant buffs for boxes and the fact that Perception plays a huge part in the skill checks over having high Locksmithing ranks.

That said, Elanthipedia has a hunting ladder for this that goes up to about 700 ranks.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Skinning_and_locksmith_hunting_ladder
Re: Thief Hunting Ladder [boxes & skins] 03/31/2016 02:57 PM CDT
I don't know if it's just me but skinning is easier to catch up so i always went with locksmithing first when having to choose between the two. Can't always have both, along with some other considerations like where you train thievery, so can't go to islands etc.

On a bad day you could lock 5 weapons and not find a single box, don't have that problem with skinning.
Re: Thief Hunting Ladder [boxes & skins] 03/31/2016 05:36 PM CDT
After swains I highly recommend snow goblins. Just move through the tiers if you can tolerate Aesry. That or go the orc/warcat route which should be comparable.
Re: Thief Hunting Ladder [boxes & skins] 03/31/2016 07:24 PM CDT
>I usually go rats till capped, goblins till capped, eels till I can do sprites, sprites till capped, blood wolves and razortusk sows till I can do Swain, swain till capped, then I like Quartz Gargs till capped, followed by either pecs and swampies or just straight to bandits and firecats.

Lotta good stuff in here. I like the snoblins suggestion, except Aesry, so obviously don't do that. If you are on Ratha for sprites and swains, I think skipping Kra'hei hatchlings is a mistake. I found they were great to pair with leucros.

I found the box drop rates on swamp trolls/fens and orcs (bandits &c.) to be less than impressive, but it was tough to beat the similar level pairing of box droppers and skinnable quadrapeds (orc + firecat; fen/swampie + pecc).

Other critters that I've hunted/enjoyed with my thief, in no particular order:
-Thugs in Throne City + Angiswaerd for skinning
-I suffered through the crossing Thugs/Ruffians et al despite the silverfish, but as other posters have noted, the silverfish make that area far less attractive than it should be
-Isunden Conjurers / Gam Chaga in Muspar'i
-Germish'din
-Forest Genii (arguably my favorite creature to hunt with thieves. Trains perc/stealth to absurd levels, can hunt them basically alone or with leucs / vipers, reasonable box-drop rate &c.)
-Various adan'f south of shard
-Mountain Giants
-Zombie Stompers
Re: Thief Hunting Ladder [boxes & skins] 04/01/2016 07:55 AM CDT
I went louts -> gobs -> ignore until sand sprites -> snow gobs / swain -> orc bandits -> orc raiders -> DP zealots

Roughly.
Re: Thief Hunting Ladder [boxes & skins] 04/01/2016 08:42 AM CDT
Thanks for the responses. I'm just newly returned and rolled a thief and I was noticing that I'm having to choose been boxes or skins because both wasn't an option (louts and now sand sprites). Obviously being survival prime, I'd like to hit both consistently. Seems like that's not always going to be an option unfortunately.

-Nate